This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mr Sparkle

Tougher than 5years ago
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:46:30 am »
Hi guys,
I'm finding it more difficult to pick up new customers than it was about 5 years ago.
I'm finding i get about 1 new customer per about 750 leaflets.

5 years ago i would ay i was getting 1 new customer every 100 leaflets.

Anyone else finding these statistics?

Are we over run with competion? OR is it the recession?

Scrimble

Re: Tougher than 5years ago
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:55:43 am »
its wfp, and i think its only going to get worse

Ian101

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 11:04:04 am »
Noticed a total lack of walk ups from last year - I'm getting about 0.4 % from 1000 leaflets at moment but spending Sat canvassing.

richywilts

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 11:16:19 am »
were picking up a nice steady stream of customers ive leafletted quite heavily over the last six months tho so cud be calls backs from these drops previously

pick up a nice amount from facebook also

will begin a little bit of canvassing as its silly not to this time of year but will be making sure no messer get signed up using terms and conditions as canvassed work is poor

good luck hope it picks up
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Mike #1

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 11:22:26 am »
Richy do you leaflet areas twice within a certain time frame or do you only leaflet an area once . Mike

roundbuilder

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:30:48 am »
To be honest i have never found it so easy to pick up work as i am now... Im full up to the brim struggling to get the days work done, had to chop canvassing on the head as far too much work to cope with.
Stuff doing rubish leaflet drops, every windowcleaner and there nan does that, go and canvass doors and get rich with good compact customers instead of posting leaflets waiting for the phone to ring on a crap spread out work from return of 1 per 250-1000 leaflets struggling to make a living!. Build quick canvass! Build slow leaflet..
As years go on all will get harder and harder so if i was you id go about it the easy way! Chase the work yourself instead of letti g it find you.

Mike #1

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 11:50:57 am »
Thing is Mick you are a top canvasser not everybody finds it as easy as yourself to do.

I have got some new leaflets going out this week which will grab peoples attention and tell them what they need to know in 4 lines of text and i think this will be key to picking up custys via leaflets .

Plus i have a special offer on reverse of leaflet i intend to drop 5000 over the next 2 weeks only targeting the areas i want myself .

I am and always will be a sole trader so just looking to add a few more custys . Mike

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:28:52 pm »
There is definitely less work out there than a few years back.You cannot just keep more newbies coming in and shrinking market something has to give.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 12:33:27 pm »
If you are a sole trader and have been going 5 years the books should be full and 'walk ups' should be sufficient to keep topped up. If you employ or are looking to then you need to consider what growth is possible in your area. Many will find that rapid growth is not possible.

Mike #1

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 01:34:39 pm »
My books are pretty full , But their is always better work out their and and in order to maximize my profit i intend to gain better priced work than some work i have and will look to sell some work on .

Their is currently 6 new housing developments been built fairly local to me i aint going to let the newbies have it all now am i  ;D ;D ;D .

Plus bought a house in a new area 6 months ago so looking to build a round closer to home , Had a load of calls and picked up a fair few houses and businesses , Because the majority of window cleaners round here do a crap job and are un-reliable . Mike

roundbuilder

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 02:08:24 pm »
My books are pretty full , But their is always better work out their and and in order to maximize my profit i intend to gain better priced work than some work i have and will look to sell some work on .

Their is currently 6 new housing developments been built fairly local to me i aint going to let the newbies have it all now am i  ;D ;D ;D .

Plus bought a house in a new area 6 months ago so looking to build a round closer to home , Had a load of calls and picked up a fair few houses and businesses , Because the majority of window cleaners round here do a crap job and are un-reliable . Mike

I stay well away from new housing estates, customers are the worst breed known to man i find with newbuilds over the last 3-5 years! Full up with housing association tennants and first time buyers with no spare cash who realy havnt got a pot to urinate in. Maybe different where you live but i stay clear round my area.

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 02:13:11 pm »
I'm  with Mick Kent on new builds. I would say when established you add on high end jobs.

PAUL ERITH

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 02:26:31 pm »
Mick did you get any work from sand piper  ??? ???

Had my customers telling me there was competition around about two weeks ago was it you ?  I haven't lost any loyal customers.

Paul

Mike #1

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 02:33:50 pm »
It is a little bit like that Mick but to be honest it is sometimes more the older people had someone ask me for a quote a few weeks back and she nearly fainted when i told her the price .

Next time i was round her hubby was pressure washing the window's then using a shammy leather to dry them off LOL .

I am targeting some established estates of which i have a bit of inside info on , I am willing to offer cleaning schedules that no other window cleaners in my area are 4-6 or 8 weekly

And new custys have been very surprised and pleased and i believe this is going to be part of a winning formula . Mike

roundbuilder

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 03:06:24 pm »
Mick did you get any work from sand piper  ??? ???

Had my customers telling me there was competition around about two weeks ago was it you ?  I haven't lost any loyal customers.

Paul

Picked up loads but only took on selected ones  asloads of africans and pikeys and i refuse to do them as always near impossible to get payed but got 4 on sandpiper 2 on moorhen and a few on the outskirts that i will keep on as customers Crap to get rear access on most but hey ho, at least i know to not  bother round that dump again.

wfp master

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 05:43:27 pm »
some people would never have dreamt of becoming a window cleaner if wfp was not around.now they see someone with one of them pole thingys & think i can do that its easy. would they be starting up if there was no wfp?

mick hay

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 05:51:52 pm »
I started 8 years ago, and yes im guilty of cos of WFP is why i started.

I have noticed a lot more vans about. Ive got a good round, which i call my basic wage. 
I now really push conservatories  and UPVC cleaning, and if priced right, theres no reason why you cant earn the same as on the windows.
 So i look at it as 2 income streams!!

Mike #1

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 06:58:28 pm »
Window cleaning is my core business , But as Mick has said it is a good idea to push other services a lot of people neglect their gutters & fascias and it is great revenue stream if you can get them .

Any body who does not constantly re-evaluate and change to meet market demand's and push their business to be the very best of their ability  is going to be left  in the dark ages and lose customers . Mike

mick hay

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 07:08:58 pm »
i always remember what my bank manager asked me when i went for a business loan many years ago to buy a carpet cleaning machine.

"what are you going to do when carpets go out of fashion?"

In other words, always have a plan B ready!!!

deeege

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 07:11:04 pm »
I started 8 years ago, and yes im guilty of cos of WFP is why i started.

I have noticed a lot more vans about. Ive got a good round, which i call my basic wage. 
I now really push conservatories  and UPVC cleaning, and if priced right, theres no reason why you cant earn the same as on the windows.
 So i look at it as 2 income streams!!

Are you a sole trader mick? Or do you employ aswell?

You are obviously having a big push with fascias and conservatories as I did last year. If you are a sole trader and have been trading for 8 years, how on earth do you find time for the conservatory cleans? I just can't seem to find time for them this year without my regular work being affected.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."