This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

What kind of carpet cleaning machine should I go for?
« on: February 23, 2006, 07:36:21 pm »
I am thinking of starting to offer a carpet cleaning service in addition to the domestic cleaning.  I would like to take a carpet cleaning course and buy a decent, middle class and size piece of equipment.   

At this moment I have no idea what I should look for buying a carpet cleaner.  Any thoughts about what kind of carpet cleaning machine I should go for. 

Thank you in advance,
Kind regards,
Arthur

CMS

Re: What kind of carpet cleaning machine should I go for?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 07:50:35 pm »
Before you decide on the type of machine you should decide on the method of cleaning (of which there are many).

There is the 'dry foam' method whereby you can use a rotary machine with a carpet brush on it. Using a 'high foam' shampoo you will agitate all the dirt and when it dries you just vac it out. I must confess, not my favourite method.

I have always prefered 'Hot Water Extraction' where a spray of 'low foam' detergent is applied to the surface of the carpet and immediately sucked back out, bringing 'some' of the dirt with it. This is quite tiring and doesn't really get down into the pile.

A combination of the two (in the one machine) is, I think the best method. I'm talking about an extraction machine that also has a brush on it that agitates the pile before the solution is sucked back up.

There are many good machines on the market but if your main business is not carpet cleaning and you mostly do domestic work there is one machine that I would recommend.

This is going to surprise you but it's actually a domestic machine, available from Curry's!!!

It's the Bissell Proheat Protech and is great for small areas. It does everything that the bigger machines do but its only drawback is the size of the solution tank. It would be no good at all for large areas as you would be constantly refilling it but for domestic work - great. And priced about £250.00.

Look here............

http://uk.bissell.com/Products/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Bissell&category%5Fname=DeepCleaner&product%5Fid=PROheat+Pro%2DTech+Upright+Deep+Cleaner+with+Exclusive+Scotchgard+Protector

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 08:16:08 pm »
Thanks for your advice Karl,
I am prepared to invest a little bit more than that, let say couple of thousands…

CMS

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 08:25:12 pm »
As long as you think it's worth it..............and you have enough work for it.........

Just try and avoid the 'Texatherm' system and don't get drawn into the situation where you are paying a fortune for a crap machine that comes with a carpet cleaning 'course'.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 08:37:48 pm »
As long as you think it's worth it…
It will be worth it if I
.. have enough work for it…
I have to yet do some market research, I have not yet decided yet what I am after, I may go to visit carpex.co.uk, but again I am not really sure what to look for…  ???

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 08:55:54 pm »
CMS

Can i ask why you suggest that the Texatherm system is best avoided?  There is a debate on the system on the carpet cleaning forum with very mixed views.

I would be grateful for any negatives on it for future reference. My own personal view, is that carpets should be cleaned with hwe.

Dave  Spot On Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 08:59:55 pm »
...My own personal view, is that carpets should be cleaned with hwe.

Dave  Spot On Cleaning

Dave,
Could you please explain what "hwe" means?
Thanks,
Arthur

CMS

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 09:06:40 pm »
HWE, Arthur, is the 'Hot Water Extraction that I spoke about.

Dave

'Texatherm' is a system that is very like the old 'bonnet mopping' type of carpet cleaning.

The idea is that 'pads' are placed on the bottom of what is little more than a rotary machine after being 'boiled' (for want of a better word) in a vat of hot water.

In my opinion all it does is take off a very small amount of surface dirt and can not possibly clean deep into the pile.

The system is VERY expensive in its own right for what is really only a souped up rotary machine and a 'burco' nappy boiler!!

And the cost of the materials afterwards (which I guess can only be pyrchased from Texatherm).........................wow!

There's a lot of gear to carry from job to job, it's overpriced and performs poorly.

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 09:32:10 pm »
Thanks Karl @ CMS for this info. As i said i was reading a topic the other day, and Bob who uses the system was getting quite shirty about the critiscism. He did eventually go on to elaborate about how he uses the system in the local hospital because when he won this contract, it was stipulated that his system of cleaning, echo the previous contractors.

I run a new truck mount, and believe hwe to be about the best and the most universal. When on training courses at prochem, the various systems were explained thus;  the pad system would be used on light maintenance, whereas the hwe system would be used for carpet restoration, ie a very dirty carpet.

When someone asked about hwe being used across the board from light maintenance to restoration, the answer was yes. From this point, my mind was made up.

Once again, thanks for your answers

Dave

CMS

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 09:38:50 pm »
Do you use HWE with just the wand or with 'extraction and brush'?

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 09:48:01 pm »
Sorry Karl, i don't know what you mean, unless you mean scrubber or pile brush agitation.

Dave

Tim Downer

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 11:16:21 pm »
I use a prochem HWE system - twin vacuums and twin jets on the wand. Another God send is the Sebo electric pile rake (which you can also use with the crystals?? and vacuum out after) fantastic for working in the prespray, plus it takes out most stains with its brushes.

I have used the HWE systems in houses, communal areas, rugs and commercial tiles with good results each time.

I know that the Prochem course pushes its own products, but you can't fault the vast amount of knowledge that comes on the course - and experience.

Also, if you buy their machine, the 1 day course is free.

Arthur,
Why don't you go to the Carpex 2006 show??
All the makes and various cleaning methods will be there under the one roof, plus you will get to see them in action.

Regards

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 11:27:51 pm »
...Arthur,
Why don't you go to the Carpex 2006 show??
All the makes and various cleaning methods will be there under the one roof, plus you will get to see them in action...

Thanks Tim for your advice, I wish to go to the Carpex 2006 show I just do not know yet if I will,

Kind regards,
Arthur

Art

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 11:30:04 pm »
I am thinking of starting to offer a carpet cleaning service in addition to the domestic cleaning.  I would like to take a carpet cleaning course and buy a decent, middle class and size piece of equipment.   

At this moment I have no idea what I should look for buying a carpet cleaner.  Any thoughts about what kind of carpet cleaning machine I should go for. 

Thank you in advance,
Kind regards,
Arthur

Arthur,

There's plenty of good second hand machines about, and if like myself c/c isn't your core business, go for a second hand one as there's plenty around.
I bought a second hand ninja which i'm more than happy with on top of that i bought a sebo duo new which i use for agitation rather than a pile brush.
The duo can also be used for dry carpet cleaning, but i'll add before some of the c/c 's go off on one, it's most effective on maintenance cleans, badly soiled carpets i use the ninja.

Arthur

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 11:34:59 pm »
Tnx Arthur for your post,

Are you going to visit carpex.co.uk, would it not be a good idea to organise SCSF meeting in London at the time of exhibition?

Kind regards,
Arthur 

Art

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 11:41:49 pm »
Would like to but to much on around that time.

The SCSF meeting will possibly be in the midlands.

Did you see my post on the c/c course in nottingham?

the red carpet

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 12:30:22 am »
a decent h/w/e unit will do the trick just make sure it has twin vacs and at least 100psi
a powerbrush for aggitation as allready suggested is the icing on the cake and will greatly improve your results
best one imo is the extracta scrubba deluxe
i have a spare one for sale on this site £300 there about a grand plus vat new
theres pictures of it at work in the for sale section

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 08:54:17 am »
...Did you see my post on the c/c course in nottingham?
Thank you Arthur,

The website you posted offers probably all well know carpet cleaning machine available today on the market.  The question is which model to go for  ???  Then I will shop around and probably go for a second hand…  I will yet have to decide which course to take  ???
 :)
Kind regards,
Arthur