This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Positivity

What happens if you're sick?
« on: April 24, 2013, 08:35:30 am »
Working through a contract for a Property Management co.
Fly in the ointment is "What if you're sick?" As a sole trader they say I need a contingency plan to continue service.
They are talking about me employing or sub-contracting I'm not really ready for that  plus I haven't priced for employing anyone.
What is involved in sub-contracting legally etc...? this is probably easier than employing.
Can't see how it's sensible to take on an employee just in case I get sick.

Re: What happens if you're sick?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 08:39:41 am »
I do this for a mate. He was in Bulgaria last week so I covered his cleans. He pays me as a subcontractor. No problem. Just find a friend who can cover the work when you are away.  His invoice to you is an expense.

LBWCS

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:52:50 am »
I do this for a mate. He was in Bulgaria last week so I covered his cleans. He pays me as a subcontractor. No problem. Just find a friend who can cover the work when you are away.  His invoice to you is an expense.

Yes this is the best solution really. Just tell them you work in partnership with another local company who offers the same service and would be briefed if any holidays / sickness occurred.

Positivity

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 09:02:13 am »
Would employer's liability insurance cover me for a sub-contractor?
I asked if I got a mate to cover for me would that be O.K. but they say his own public liability wouldn't cover him for the contract that I hold ??? ???

George P

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:10:26 am »
you need sub contract insurance yourself (not sure what its called), but tell your insurance what you may be doing and ask for a quote,

George P

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 09:13:59 am »
Would employer's liability insurance cover me for a sub-contractor?

no, not on its own,

paul13

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 10:38:26 am »
Could anyone give me a rough Idea
of the rate paid to a subcontractor?

George P

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 10:47:07 am »
it varies, you will hear on here it could be any thing from 50% upto about 80%, when we sub out if we get a decent price we give subbies a good price, simple as that really,

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 12:00:58 pm »
Just out of interest what is the difference between your insurance and your mates insurance?
And how does the contractor know his won't be sufficient?

I would caution against using anyone who doesn't have their own PLI as they may also not know what they are doing!

As for payment, you pay whatever is needed if its an emergency cover.
If it is a regular arrangement you pay whatever you feel retains the service.

George P

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 12:14:51 pm »
Just out of interest what is the difference between your insurance and your mates insurance?
And how does the contractor know his won't be sufficient?

you still have to have PLI if your subbing out, , but you also still need to have the subbies insurance policy, not sure of differance, contractor knows that unless you have a insurance for youre subbies it wont be enough as standard practice in window cleaning, we sub some work in and the companies still need to see our insurance as well as having subby insurance themselfs

I would caution against using anyone who doesn't have their own PLI as they may also not know what they are doing!

good point, although there are probably alot who dont have PLI that have been doing it years, and more experianced than someone just starting out, so potentially less chance of accident??, PLI & subby insurance is to cover you back should something go wrong,

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 01:31:27 pm »
Every days a school day.

I wasn't aware that you needed subbie insurance as well as the subbie having their own.

I wonder how many do that?

wfp master

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 03:54:50 pm »
simple way to do it. thats what i do if going on holidays get a mate who knows what they are doing.