Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

andy east sussex

Another why do i bother New
« on: March 16, 2013, 04:25:28 pm »
facebook again another aprently professional carpet cleaning company poped up full2 bed house £50 3 bed £65 4 bed £75 wwwwttttffff why do i bother any more i cant compete with those prices for god sake so i emailed them what machine do youuse reply was we use a karcher but still not point if their distributing leaflets also i have no chance as their prices are so low godit gets on me tits

AshWhite

Re: another why do i bother
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 04:36:51 pm »
Don't lose any sleep over it - they won't be around come the end of the year I bet.
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

derek west

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 04:47:55 pm »
facebook again another aprently professional carpet cleaning company poped up full2 bed house £50 3 bed £65 4 bed £75 wwwwttttffff why do i bother any more i cant compete with those prices for god sake so i emailed them what machine do youuse reply was we use a karcher but still not point if their distributing leaflets also i have no chance as their prices are so low godit gets on me tits

Andy

Do heinz worry about aldi's own label?.

Not everyone wants the cheapest or Heinz, rolls royce, Andrex would be out of business, instead they are flourishing. Stop worrying about the cheapies and concentrate on delivering VFM for your customers.

wynne jones

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 04:49:18 pm »
Ash is right and actually the way you think about it is the only way it can harm you directly. My view is there is no such thing as direct competition especially when it comes down to price because strangely people by all manner of things at different prices. In fact you could split test three prices for your offering and you might find more people respond to the higher price. Now all I know by thinking along these lines is I just get on with my own stuff and what anybody else does is irrelevant.  :)
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 05:03:00 pm »
Ash is right and actually the way you think about it is the only way it can harm you directly. My view is there is no such thing as direct competition especially when it comes down to price because strangely people by all manner of things at different prices. In fact you could split test three prices for your offering and you might find more people respond to the higher price. Now all I know by thinking along these lines is I just get on with my own stuff and what anybody else does is irrelevant.  :)

Well said, Sir. Sod'em, do your own thing.

Simon

CraigHaycock

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 06:28:02 pm »
Both sides of this argument are right but what the low prices put in the mind of the unknowing householder is that if 1 company can charge ultra low prices then the, experienced & trained  individuals are being greedy & over charging, Its not until they have used THEM & US that they can compare the difference.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 06:29:22 pm »
I met an old friend of mine he was cleaning carpets while I was on the same road, he cleaned an attic room, stairs, landing, 2 bedrooms, stairs, hallway, 2 down stairs rooms for £100 and he made an excellent job, I was cleaning 5 doors down for £150 it was the same house but the 2 down stairs rooms only, there are different markets for different customers.

Shaun

JandS

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 06:59:45 pm »
Two phone calls today within an hour of each other.
First on was gobsmacked when I told him price, when
I asked him what price he thought he was looking at
he said about half what your quote is, so no job.
Second call for a quote again, told her and she uttered
those dreaded words " Oh is that all" she's booked in.
The one who wanted it cheap was the one who was
most interested in what it involved as well, thought I'd
got him in the bag.
Some think your expensive some think your quite cheap
and the rest think your just about right so with luck you'll
get 2 out of the 3.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

cannon

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 09:13:09 pm »
theres alot at the minute having a race to the bottom.

A new guy a few miles from me offering "a full house of carpets for £50  :o but thats not all.....add a 3 piece for an extra £10   ???

Another guy in response to this started offering "a full house of carpets  for £48"  ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 09:30:23 pm »
Another way to think about these offers rather than feeling up against it is they are totally inept at selling. If they were a threat, they would be charging more than you and stealing your customer base from under your feet. It may not be completely true but it affects what you do more positively.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Tony Stewart

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 09:45:34 pm »
A friend of mine called me and asked me how much to clean her through lounge. I said my normal price and she said that a guy with a machine on the van like mine was doing it for £24.00. He has to travel about 7 miles and then clean it.
Let him do it for that as I don't want to be involved in a race for the cheapest price. Quality is always a function of price and sometimes you win some and lose some.
Starts at the bottom likes it and stays there

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 10:04:32 pm »
I totally agree tony but I think some cleaners may be getting a call a day so they are getting scared and grabbing any money.

Shaun

JandS

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 11:09:57 am »
Think I might have dropped the price a little for
a friend.
A lot of my friends are tradesmen so it can be quite
lucrative.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

bennymon

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 02:23:59 pm »
Some of these companies have decent websites decent leaflets combine that with a good bit of sales banter they can take a lot of work we could be getting like it or not its a fact .

Mike Halliday

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 02:40:06 pm »
I'm on holiday now,

last night we were talking to other holidaymakers about how much we paid for exactly the same holiday, same flight, same hotel, same all-inclusive

We all paid a different price , with £280 being the difference betreen the most & least paid.

The reason you don't have to worry that some one is cleaning a full 3 bed house for £49 is the  same reason that one holidaymaker paid £280 more than the couple sat next to them..... The did not knw they could get it cheaper, they accepted the price quoted as the correct amount for what they wanted

Some carpet cleaners think that customers know every price going, so they need to beat it, but in reality customers have no idea how much it will cost until we tell them, and whatever price we say they think is how much it cost.... I can say £160 and they will believe that is the cost just as they will believe £49 if I quote that instead.

Price causes more stress for carpet cleaners than it does the customer
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Andrew@Approved Carpet Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 03:04:07 pm »

Had this through my door today, so had a little look on google http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08003345666/3. Seems like they dont even pay their leaflet delivery people , let alone clean carpets properly.
So I did my good deed for the day and posted the link and the picture on the local facebook sites......and got 3 bookings from it! ;D
Moderators may want to remove phone numbers etc, OR if this post is inappropriate as it names and shames then please remove and i'll go and sit on the naughty step.
Andrew
Approved Carpet Cleaning of Flitwick
www.carpetcleaningbedfordshire.co.uk

andy east sussex

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 03:24:21 pm »
oh they have bad name by looks of it

pristineclean

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 12:45:57 pm »
The VAT number appears to be invalid from the online checker result but I can't be bothered phoning HMRC to confirm potential tax fraud; if they were operating a little closer to me I'd be happy to make the call  :)

M.Acorn

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 03:14:30 pm »
Have one very similar to that that does the rounds here,every few months.
I just got back from quoting a 3 bed house,503 sq ft + stairs,went in at £140 as carpets only a year old and pretty clean.
Had a quote for £60 !!!
Crazy,just got back from doing a stairs and landing,part lounge and bedroom £160 and a £10 tip.
What goes around comes around