Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mark turton

Truckmount vs top end porty
« on: March 14, 2013, 11:04:32 pm »
ive seen you tube clips on this etc and always wondered if there was a longer dwell on the truckmount side of carpet or something.

as regarding other topic re psi used.

cleaning with psi between 200-300 why would you use more on a carpet and too much heat could play havoc with the backing of the carpet - so whilst the suction and psi higher on a tm and therefore claimed to be significantly faster to enable upto 100k a year earning (subject to having the work) - is there also more risk with a tm of damaging carpet???

other than portability does the tm offer significant advantagous over a porty whilst being able to clean carpet carefully? it also seems on the surface that you need good aftersales service or have a good idea of how to maintain an engine.

???

cleantech

Re: truckmount vs top end porty
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 11:11:42 pm »
The only reason i would buy a truckmount and i will eventually. is to have the option of of using a sx-12 for tile and grout cleaning.

mark turton

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 11:53:38 pm »
The only reason i would buy a truckmount and i will eventually. is to have the option of of using a sx-12 for tile and grout cleaning.

surely you can achieve that without that kinda of expense? and do you do a lot of tile and grout clean ? no idea what you charge for that per sq foot?

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 12:04:20 am »
trunkmounters dont want to hear it  ;D

good luck

John Kelly

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 08:14:45 am »
Truckmounts will clean faster and carpets will dry faster. They are a productivity tool. I don't sell truckmounts now but I do sell portables so this is an honest answer.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:19:38 am »
John is right, it's about ptoductivity, you can do a lot more jobs with even an entry level TM than you can with a porty and the quality and drying times are usually better too. As for too much heat causing problems - you've lost me there. Have yourself a day out with a TM'er. ;)

Luc

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 08:49:32 am »
Having both a tm and a powerful portable I would say that personally for me a tm wins hands down. But then I can afford to run a tm and having to do 5 to 6  jobs a day regularly is a lot easier and much quicker with a tm. Yesterday I cleaned a filthy dirty lounge dinner in 45 mins including setting up and packing away. The guy had forgot I was coming and  I had to be out within the hour. The carpet was minging but cleaned up lovely and all but one stain  from a red curry came out. Carpet was just damp to the touch and the guy was amazed and over the moon. Im going back next fri to do the rest of the house. Could I do that with a portable? Yes its possible but I would be rushing around like a blue arse fly to do it.
I like that with a tm I dont have to wait around for hot water, or have to find 2 spare plug sockets when setting up. I clean most carpets on 350 to 450psi. Ive never had no problems with shriking or carpets being damp for days.and as regards a tm being too hot and damaging a carpet, thats a load of crap imo. Ive cleaned with cold water and all that rubbish. Hot water always cleans infinitely better
But then there is also the expense of running a tm. Despite what people say a tm is expensive to run. I would save 450 quid a month if all I used was a portable. Thats a nce profit but im lazy and prefer to use a tm lol

andy east sussex

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:00:23 am »
might sound silly question but can you turn of heater if u didn't want to use hot water guess simple answer thermostat turn it down ?

AshWhite

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:03:51 am »
might sound silly question but can you turn of heater if u didn't want to use hot water guess simple answer thermostat turn it down ?

Most have temperature control. Some don't, but they're the ones with microscopic blowers.
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Simon Gerrard

Russ Chadd

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 10:32:41 am »
A good quality porty will work just fine in the right hands, after a brief encounter with a prowler i decided it wasn't right for me and reverted back to a porty.
Sometimes less is more...

Billy Russell

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 01:20:22 pm »
Even my so called microscopic blower just does the business for me!!!  ;D

Simon "Wiggy" Gerrard is right! Spend a day with a TMer, I did, opened my eyes completely! and i had a scorpion at the time, which was supposed to be the mutts nuts in portables!

That day out was at the start of november a couple of years ago, the day after i used the scorpion and it just couldn't compete! So that day i was on the phone to Hydramaster and by the middle of january i sold the scorpion on and had a shiny new tm in the back of my van!!!!

I don't regret it one bit, has it transformed my business? yes it has, since that day my business has come on leaps and bounds, i've bought a new bigger van, i've just moved into a new office and store, my wife has just come to work for me, and i employ somebody a few days a week to help out,

I'm also on the lookout for another van for something else i have up my sleeve  ;)

Is it just the TM that did all this? of course not, theres alot more involved, but the TM gave me the opportunity to explore these other avenues

;D

mark turton

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 01:29:48 pm »
some excellent replies on this topic guys - why is it you have something thats working well and then you want bigger and better - you guys should work on the sales team
for these tm companies - talk about wet your appetite.

would love to own one but think for now ill build with a high end porty and most defnetley take a tm on in the not too distant future.

for one thing if you get a large commercial you can run 3 men of it as well cant you?

Luc

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 02:04:43 pm »
Mark I agree with you. You can build a good business and still do an amazing job still with a high end portable. At the end of the day both a tm and portable in the right hands can do an amazing job. The reason I brought a portable was because I started to do a lot more work on my own. When I used to work with my dad we could fly thru the work with a portable. One would fil and empty and prespray and scrub with a crb while the other extracted. I brought a tm as I wanted a easier life when my dad stopped working. I hated lifting the portable in and out the van 6 times a day lol. Now all I do is phll the hoses off the van and switch on the tm and hey presto im cleaning  :D

Doug Holloway

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 02:18:42 pm »
Hi Guys

As Luc says, I found the TM makes my life so much easier and means I finish earlier and am less tired, which is all good for an old boy!

Cheers

Doug

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 02:26:33 pm »

for one thing if you get a large commercial you can run 3 men of it as well cant you?

You can if you've got a Titan 875 ;D

Luc

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 02:37:50 pm »
Simon, is your titan loud when you are running 3 hoses. Its a beast of a machine  :o
 hope you dont mind me asking how much does it cost to run?

Paul Heath

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 03:00:45 pm »
You don't need such a big machine to run more than hose of it. I have a boxer 321 and the other month had a chance to run 2 guys of it, the machine was already set up for this when i brought it. One doing the carpets the other doing the sofa's in 8 lodges. It cut down the time spent on site, allowing for other jobs to be done, and the machine did not miss a beat. Would not be without my TM....one of the main things is it increases productivity without lossing out on quality.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 03:57:59 pm »
Simon, is your titan loud when you are running 3 hoses. Its a beast of a machine  :o
 hope you dont mind me asking how much does it cost to run?
Luc,
The Titan is very quiet but then the engine is only doing 2700 rpms at full power, so it's more of a pur than the noise you seem to get with smaller machines that have to work a lot harder than 1.6 litre GM Vortec.
We've had 4 RX20's running off it at the same time.
At full power it uses about 10 litres of LPG per hour which is peanuts in comparison to how much it is earning in that configuration.

Simon

bennymon

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 05:13:10 pm »
I'd like to know where you are all getting your work from 4 5and 6 jobs a day I've hardly ever had more than 3 jobs in a day and at the moment I'm lucky to get 1 or is the tm that fast your all charging £10 a room ???