Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jonboywalton75

Are John Guest and standard half inch garden hose compatible?
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:26:47 am »
As above, cheers for any replies in advance.

rosskesava

Re: Are John Guest and standard half inch garden hose compatible?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 01:32:08 am »
Most window cleaning companies do all the various size tubing for John Guest that connect straight on to hoselock type connectors.

My local B & Q do 15mm and 22mm John Guest type adapters for 1/2 inch screw on stuff.

Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 01:46:48 am »
So will half inch garden hose fit into a female john guest fitting?

R.C Property

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 07:11:25 am »
Normal hose will fit into the fittings, you will need an insert into the pipe first.

Wouldn't use it under pressure tho, or if the pipe has to turn as the fittings have metal grips in an will cut the pipe.
I use it from my barrel to my pump on portable system, that's all I would trust the fittings for with hose pipe in.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 02:01:35 pm »
Cheers.
I better get the proper gear then and stop being tight ;D

R.C Property

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 02:02:29 pm »
Cheers.

lol what are you trying to do with it?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 02:42:17 pm »

No it cannot as the 1/2" Garden hose is an internal diameter measurement and the 1/2" John Guest measurement is an external diameter measurement. You can fit it though if you use a 1/2" John Guest stem to barb adapter as below:

R.C Property

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 02:53:06 pm »

No it cannot as the 1/2" Garden hose is an internal diameter measurement and the 1/2" John Guest measurement is an external diameter measurement. You can fit it though if you use a 1/2" John Guest stem to barb adapter as below:

take it you havent tried it then? this is a peice of hozelock gargen hose pushed into a 15mm push fit fitting that i use on my portable system.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 03:50:13 pm »
This would depend on the exact wall thickness of the 1/2" hose - the wall thickness of the Hozelock you are using is thin enough to work. Most reinforced 1/2" hose would be a little too thick to use.

R.C Property

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 03:56:13 pm »
This would depend on the exact wall thickness of the 1/2" hose - the wall thickness of the Hozelock you are using is thin enough to work. Most reinforced 1/2" hose would be a little too thick to use

all the garden hose are the same, as he was asking about garden hoses, so all garden hoses will fit,

but like you say if they are using the proper hoses that you sell then your right they wouldnt as there o/d is around 19mm i believe

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 04:06:17 pm »
This would depend on the exact wall thickness of the 1/2" hose - the wall thickness of the Hozelock you are using is thin enough to work. Most reinforced 1/2" hose would be a little too thick to use

all the garden hose are the same, as he was asking about garden hoses, so all garden hoses will fit,

but like you say if they are using the proper hoses that you sell then your right they wouldnt as there o/d is around 19mm i believe

I see that you are using 15mm John Guest not 1/2" John Guest in which case you do have slightly more diameter to work with.

From my experience not all garden hoses are the same - usually the high quality versions are slightly bigger. Hozelock do another version that is one grade up from the version that you are using and this was always a fraction too big for 15mm John Guest fittings. When I first started out, 1/2" hose was all that was used, I fitted a 15mm Speedfit valve to my Omnitrolley. I found from experience that it would fit cheaper hoses, but these never lasted long enough under pressure and when using better quality garden-type hose they were slightly too big and I had to use hose to barb adapters to make it work.

Nowadays they have improved the reinforcing of garden hose so maybe the thinner ones would work. As you have already said I would not recommend it if under pumped pressure.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 04:21:54 pm »
You can get a small adaptor that goes from a john guest into a male hoselock fitting.  I saw it in a catalogue the other week, I remember thinking it was handy.

can't remember what catalogue it was though!

jonboywalton75

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 04:24:23 pm »
Cheers.

I am replacing the hozelock fittings that i use to connect my two di vessels in my van.
I am sick of the leaks.
John guest fittings seem a good option, but i am not sure which flexible hose is best to use.
I was just going to use stuff i have lying around, but if anyone can suggest better i will try anything.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 04:27:35 pm »
Cheers.

I am replacing the hozelock fittings that i use to connect my two di vessels in my van.
I am sick of the leaks.
John guest fittings seem a good option, but i am not sure which flexible hose is best to use.
I was just going to use stuff i have lying around, but if anyone can suggest better i will try anything.

It would be much better to use John Guest's own more rigid tubing whether in 15mm or 1/2".

jonboywalton75

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 04:33:45 pm »
I need flexible hose, so maybe john guest fittings are not a good option then.

R.C Property

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 04:34:58 pm »
I need flexible hose, so maybe john guest fittings are not a good option then.

give me 5 minutes im looking the bits up for you.

R.C Property

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 04:40:50 pm »
they are the 3/4" ports arnt they? and is it the 2 di vessels u have?

jonboywalton75

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 04:41:33 pm »
Cheers RC

rosskesava

Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.