This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ronnie Bryce

Do diy controllers work?
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:38:23 am »
I know a few guy's have bought part's from ebay and the like and built controllers out of them. Are they any good? Are they easy to wire up? If you have done this have you got a link or two?

Thank's
Me.

Tom White

Re: Do diy controllers work?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:59:07 am »
They're really simple to wire up; I've wired mine up (it tells you on the circuit board where to put the power lines + and - and where to put the pump wires); but I've not actually gotten around to putting the thing in my van.

I've got one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290736054991?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

But I just need to get some spades to attach it to my pump.

I've housed it in an old variflow controller box; it fits nicely.  I had to cut a slot for the nob to fit in.

Ronnie Bryce

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:07:37 am »
Thank's Tosh, that look's just the thing I am after. Am I correct in thinking it does not stop the pump though like a "proper" one? If so, do you just keep the wee pressure switch connected to the pump?

Tom White

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:16:37 am »
Thank's Tosh, that look's just the thing I am after. Am I correct in thinking it does not stop the pump though like a "proper" one? If so, do you just keep the wee pressure switch connected to the pump?

Yes, just reconnect the pressure switch and that does the job PERFECTLY of cutting the pump off once you nip the hose.

Here; how to reconnect your pressure switch (if you're unsure):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Y9TfLUm98

It takes about three minutes to do.

You may like to just do this and work without a flow controller at all.  It's 'braw' as you Jocks say after downing a bottle of Bucky.

Rob Knapman

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:46:33 am »
Yep, I got one the same as Tosh's link...works a treat mate, cant really go wrong with the wiring, mounted mine in a waterproof electrical enclosure along with a 12v flick switch.....just make sure the controller is up to the job, the one in Maplins is only rated at 3 amp...the one in the link is 10amp...Rob.
Knapman Cleaning services, washing glass since 1945

Pete Thompson

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:46:49 am »
Very interesting!

Do they compensate for the load on the pump like varistream etc?

What I mean is, with normal flow controllers, you set the flow rate and no matter what height the pole is at you always get that flow rate as it increases power to the pump when more pressure is needed.

Do these units do this?

CleanClear

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 12:31:05 pm »
Here's an interesting one....
http://r.ebay.com/xJXF6B

I've got same questions as Pete, how do they operate? Reduce the voltage or what?
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

R.C Property

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 01:35:36 pm »
they are good,

they basicly control the motor and slow that down, while keeping the psi at running at its max, no matter how high the pole goes the flow remains the same, unlike some digital ones, the higher the pole the higher you have to turn flow rate up.

mines been going for 2 years without any problems

Rob Knapman

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 01:42:17 pm »

I've got same questions as Pete, how do they operate? Reduce the voltage or what?

Imho that one isnt powerful enough, needs to be 8 amp or greater.
Knapman Cleaning services, washing glass since 1945

R.C Property

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 01:43:18 pm »

Imho that one isnt powerful enough, needs to be 8 amp or greater.

i agree, i use 15amp ones and fuse them down to 10amp to be on the safe side!

CleanClear

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 02:05:20 pm »
This should be ok, 10 amp...?

http://r.ebay.com/rhIAD7
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

R.C Property

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 02:07:41 pm »

wouldnt know about those ones, never used them!

dont like the look of the wiring on them personaly.

Tom White

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 04:04:07 pm »

wouldnt know about those ones, never used them!

dont like the look of the wiring on them personaly.

It's worth a shot for under a tenner.  Buy one someone, try it and report back!  ;D

rosskesava

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 04:32:36 pm »
I use a voltage regulator. It's got two terminals marked + and - for the input, and two marked + and - for the output.

Sometimes if I'm scrubbing frames on a first clean or something like that, I turn it down to save on water.

Generally though, as I clean windows at maximum psi, the thing of a flow controller keeping the same flow rate at regardless of height doesn't matter.

As far as I'm concerned and for my way of cleaning windows, flow controllers are a complete waste of money and prone to going wrong.

I've yet to read one single posting about a voltage regulator problem. Even if it did pack up, I'd spend another £6.99 and buy a new one.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 05:37:55 pm »
I my own have also made a few one on my backpack is 4 years and the one on my van is 2years with a remote switch off and on as well as half power and full power. ;D ;D

davids3511

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 06:39:04 pm »
The only problem I have had with one of these is with a pump from a backpack. For some reason the pressure switch wouldn't kick in and the water ended up coming out of the pump housing.

rosskesava

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 06:57:11 pm »
The only problem I have had with one of these is with a pump from a backpack. For some reason the pressure switch wouldn't kick in and the water ended up coming out of the pump housing.

That sounds like it has more to do with a faulty pressure switch than anything else.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 08:31:33 pm »
I've done DIY controllers with frost protection built in & with remote control built in - its simple enough when you think about it. They work perfect & last as long as pro controllers.

Carl@Cwc

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 08:43:48 pm »
I've done DIY controllers with frost protection built in & with remote control built in - its simple enough when you think about it. They work perfect & last as long as pro controllers.

How far does the remote work.
And what is the price inc frost stat .

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 08:57:28 pm »
The remote depends a lot on the RF unit you buy - they're normally reliable at about 25% of the quoted range, so you need one rated for at least 500mtrs. Also you need a decent magnetic antenna on the roof of your van as the signal won't travel through the metal bodywork,.. a half decent antenna & RF unit will set you back about £85 alone without the other bits you need. Personally I found the remote to be something I ultimately didn't use, having the button on a lanyard round my neck had novelty value for a few days, but it ended up being more of an annoyance than a help & I went back to my old diy controller.

The frost stat unit is on ebay for about £15 - it can be wired into the PWC controller linked to above. Full build instructions are on another forum, but it'd be very naughty to post a link,..