This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gas /hot propane or butane
« on: January 24, 2013, 02:14:30 pm »
Which gas do you use on your hot water system and why do you use this particular one.Are there anyone with know how on this matter . I know it might sound stupid. but just interested.

davids3511

Re: gas /hot propane or butane
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 02:39:44 pm »
propane as butane can freeze.

R.C Property

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 03:43:40 pm »
as above, propane is designed to be used outside.

butane doesn’t work well at low temperatures. When too cool it stays as a liquid and the gas pressure drops. That means a butane gas cylinder will produce lower pressure once the bottle temperature drops below 10 degrees C.

They have similar properties but different applications. They are not interchangeable due to the different operating pressures and burner settings required. Valves and fittings are also different to avoid confusion or accidental use of the wrong type of LPG.

Propane has a lower boiling point than butane so it will continue to convert from a liquid to a gas even in very cold conditions, down to -45ºC. When stored as a liquid in a tank, it exerts a greater pressure than Butane at the same temperature.

So Propane, as an LPG, is most suitable for exterior storage and use. Its ability to operate in low temperatures makes it the most suitable LPG for many applications. Propane is widely used as a fuel source for domestic and commercial heating, hot water and cooking. It also has a wide range of uses in industry and agriculture.

Butane has the lower vapour pressure at equivalent temperatures and is suitable for interior use or outside during the summer. Butane is a very common fuel amongst leisure users and owners of portable heaters.

Deangsi

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:40:24 pm »
what gas regulator do you have to use with propane lpg on the boilers? cheers

R.C Property

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 05:43:59 pm »
what gas regulator do you have to use with propane lpg on the boilers? cheers

these are the ones you use, but you can pick one up where you pick the gas up from, then you know it will be right.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005NY5OYK/ref=asc_df_B005NY5OYK11621029?smid=A324WQHVZ743H1&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B005NY5OYK

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 06:13:01 pm »
Most are red in colour for propane has a tread fitting, not a bayonet. As propane gas bottles  only come in this fitting, but I have seen the bayonet type on e bay. I think they are for patio gas barbiques.

R.C Property

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 06:15:20 pm »
Most are red in colour for propane. Also on e bay cheap.

have to watch out for some cheap ones, some of them are no good, dont seal properly and you have to get the right bar too, otherwise you can be pushing to much gas to the boiler.

calor gas alone do 4 diffrent types for propane for diffrent things,

Deangsi

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 08:51:44 pm »
So what bar do I need guys or the one in the link the rite bar?  ;D

R.C Property

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 08:53:32 pm »
So what bar do I need guys or the one in the link the rite bar?  ;D

Depending on heater, if L5 a 37bar one.

Deangsi

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 09:31:05 pm »
Its a paloma ph-5 if I use the same will that be ok?

R.C Property

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 09:34:01 pm »
Its a paloma ph-5 if I use the same will that be ok?

dose it not come with one? i would of thought so but best check just in case. it should say in manual that comes with it