Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

keen2clean

starting out in domestic cleaning need advice plz
« on: February 12, 2006, 01:52:12 pm »
Hi every body im starting out and would appreciate some advise from you pros if possible i realise ur all very buissy and any response would be greatly appreciated.
I am located in essex.
-How much do you charge per hour?
- Does anybody have an example of terms and conditions they set out with clients that i cold see?
-Where do you get good cheap uniforms from?
- What do you find is your best form of advertising?
-Do you know of a good CHEAP supplies of materials, cleaning agents etc?
I am only eighteen years ld so do not have that much cleaning or life experience but i really want to fight to make something of myself instead of following down the right road would be greatfull of any advice possible 
many thanks ray 

lisa123

Re: starting out in domestic cleaning need advice plz
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 03:26:24 pm »
Hi Ray
The only way you learn is if you research it all yourself.
I started out by asking questions like you, but in the end you need to get out and do it for yourself.

Anyway didn't i email you recently with loads of info???

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 03:28:58 pm »
Hi every body im starting out and would appreciate some advise from you pros if possible i realise ur all very buissy and any response would be greatly appreciated.
I am located in essex...

I am only eighteen years ld so do not have that much cleaning or life experience but i really want to fight to make something of myself instead of following down the right road would be greatfull of any advice possible
many thanks ray

First of all, as you are 18, contact The Prince’s Trust, they will help you in many ways, including ££££.  Your Local Business Link is also place to get in touch with.  Finally you use search option within this forum, there is plenty of info already available here.

-How much do you charge per hour?

To find out how much you should charge per hour do some research, phoning to your potential competitors (you will find them in the Yellow Pages)

-Where do you get good cheap uniforms from?

My staff dress in jeans (cost under £5 from Tesco) and t-shirts (cost under £4 from Primark)

- What do you find is your best form of advertising?

I would suggest Yellow Pages, ads on local shop windows and parish magazines.  An informative website should be a good way of advertising and source of info about your company.

-Do you know of a good CHEAP supplies of materials, cleaning agents etc?

Normally we use clients cleaning stuff, but we also have our own which can be bought from Tesco or Wilkinson for less than from a supplier of “commercial cleaning materials”

Hope it helps,
Arthur

keen2clean

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 03:46:31 pm »
Hi Lisa yeah u sent me info that was really helpfull thanks have done loads of research my self, just wanted the oppinion of people that have been there dopne it. Business link have sen tme packs and given very good advicce princes trust arnt worth your time i cud be as poor as a porper but if i live on the outskirts of london (afluent area apparently) no funding is available.
Thanks for all your help arthur i was thinking of getting the compan logo printed on t shirt and then the staff which at the moment is me, can wear jeans etc.
One thing i strugle with is all the paper work that is involved and legal requirments and everything. If you have any tips or mistakes that you made as a newbie pls share thanks again arthur and lisa

lisa123

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 03:51:01 pm »
funny that about princes trust.
They have helped me twice, with loans. £2000 jan 05 to help when i set up my online shop when i was doind new deal.
And i have just had confirmation of £800 i asked for, for my cleaning biz.
Dont they do loans in your area? they are cheap to pay back, low interest ones.

Art

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 03:57:08 pm »
funny that about princes trust.
They have helped me twice, with loans. £2000 jan 05 to help when i set up my online shop when i was doind new deal.
And i have just had confirmation of £800 i asked for, for my cleaning biz.
Dont they do loans in your area? they are cheap to pay back, low interest ones.

If you operate in an area with high unemployment, your eligible for grants etc. but if not the only source of a loan is via a bank.

Arthur

keen2clean

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 04:00:44 pm »
Well have been told by people they get stingy towards the end of the tax year as there funding runs out. I didnt apply for a loan i applied for a grant and they laughed me out of the placew and as i havnt een unemployed or in trouble with the law princes trust didnt see me as a worthy case. Didnt want to take out a loan yet mabe in a few months when im paying out more money for things saved up money of my own, worked days in ahlfords nights at a restraunt.
Hope everything is going well with business lisa was ur website expensive to get designed and run?
Do you know wha stage i need to egt an accountant
regards ray

lisa123

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 04:04:16 pm »
it is 28 quid a year, i did it myself with fasthosts templates. easy peasy really.
they aredoing 30 quid of google adwords voucher at the mo if u sign up, i'd get on to it if i were you :)

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 04:05:29 pm »
... princes trust arnt worth your time i cud be as poor as a porper but if i live on the outskirts of london (afluent area apparently) no funding is available...

Ray,

You should try http://www.shell-livewire.org/, please let us know what they say.

Best of luck,
Arthur

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 04:39:20 pm »
...One thing i strugle with is all the paper work that is involved and legal requirments and everything...

Ray,

When I was going to start my own business one local organisation invited me and my partner to attend a course “how to become successful owner manager”.   Such courses available at collages across the country (ask http://www.learndirect.co.uk about such courses near you) and various non profit organisations (ask your local Business Link)
You should attend such course to learn about how to run the business (paper works and so on…) and to see whether you are ready for it. 

Good luck,
Arthur

keen2clean

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 04:57:48 pm »
I am in the process of starting a course on business accounting for begginers. Have you baught point2point information pack or do you know anything about it was it worth the money many thanks ray

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 05:17:40 pm »
I have not bought point2point pack, but have seen posts in here praising it. 

Ray, it is a very good idea to learn about business accounting, you may like it and continue your study to become an accountant, you are just 18…  However I would strongly advice you to attend the course “how to become successful owner manager”, it will give an understanding what it’s like to run your own business, how to do market research, how to write business plan … 

clifford123

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 06:47:10 pm »
just a small point from an older guy....if you're gonna be quoting etc: make sure you use spell check ;D ;D ;D ;D

CMS

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 07:07:54 pm »
On the subject of quoting...............

I don't doubt your enthusiasm for a minute but I have some concerns about ho seriously a Client would take an 18 year old.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 07:23:59 pm »
Karl,
You say that you are 47, but looking at your photo I would give you around 35.  My partner is in her late twenties, but some times when she answers a phone call people ask her whether she could let her dad to answer.  18 years sounds not much, but you just never know how the person looks what he likes and sounds…

CMS

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2006, 07:25:37 pm »
Yes I know. Personally, I admire the guys 'get up and go' and wouldn't judge him but others will. He has to be prepared for that.

lynngc

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2006, 08:05:40 pm »
well ray,
all i can say is GOOD LUCK to you and your business venture.
we all started out in the same boat, no-one was fed a silver spoon

if anyone can help, just yell, i know i do!!!!

just remember to be smart, honest and reliable, and you'll go a long way.

good luck

lynn ;D ;D
lynn @ gower cleaning services, swansea.

lynngc

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2006, 08:09:04 pm »
my puter is playing up. it's supposed to read sthingy.  mmmm a wee gremlin in the board i think ;D
lynn

aHHHH!!!!!   i give up!!!!!

s     p     o     o     n         pmsl
lynn @ gower cleaning services, swansea.

MrsMeredith

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 06:34:21 am »
Hello Ray!

After reading all the replies so far i think you have had some very wise advice from all on here, but i gather from all your enthusiasm and questions (which is fab!) that you are still at the "deciding" and "enquiring" stage of your future business venture ??  So please do not run before you can walk, as you are already mentioning uniforms for employees etc before any real business is coming your way.

As Lynn from Gower Cleaning has already said, be honest, smart and reliable and that is a good start then once you have a few customers to fill your week then maybe its time to increase with other staff, but before that you need to possibly get some fliers done and spread the word of what you offer. Its all well and good setting yourself up in the cleaning business but without advertising who is going to know you're about and what you can offer them.

Best of luck! and you have my admiration for becoming such a young businessman.

Tracey.

keen2clean

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 10:00:40 am »
Thanks from all of you for your replies, from looking at other post you lot seem to be the consistent givers of good advice. I do only look my age which is yes a downsight and most likely will be looked down on by certain people, however my plan is to say im from the company instead of i own it and things im not in for the glory or stature of owning my own business i just want to do work i can be proud of and earn a fair wage. (not that anyone else is) On my list of jobs today is to call my local adult colleges and learn direct to find out about that course.
The reason for uniforms is i felt i could compensate for my young age by looking super proffesional maybe a stupid idea.
Thanks again all