Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Do you suffer from 'The Heatrow Effect'?
« on: January 21, 2013, 03:41:36 pm »
Heatrow airport runs at 99% capacity. That means that it is working almost to the brim. As with this week the slightest problem, the smallest backlog and customers are left waiting for planes that may never take off.

It may well be a good business model and it may well be profitable but the bad publicity it has gained won't be forgotten.

They probably don't have the option at Heathrow due to the number of flights that are needed near the capital, hence the need for an extra runway.

The question for window cleaners is 'Do we sufffer from the Heathrow effect with our business?'

This last week or so has been difficult to say the least but it's hardly unusual to have a week or two of almost unworkable weather at some point in the winter months.
If we work at 99% capacity the slightest problem will cause mayhem with our rounds with no room to 'catch-up'.

If a round is run at 80% capacity it gives room for delays due to weather or illness etc. This will require that prices are at least 20-25% higher than you think they should be, and when you get to 80% capacity then thats the time to 'loose' some of the worst paying or awkward work.

Discuss............

SB Cleaning

Re: Do you suffer from 'The Heatrow Effect'?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 04:14:04 pm »
What are you on about ??? ;D

davids3511

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 04:27:25 pm »
Yes, but knowing me if I had 80% top whack work I would want the extra 20% too for the longer days and better weather. Working at full capacity means you can work all the times you want to as there is always work to be done.

Yes, the custy cometimes has to wait but I have never had a complaint. I don't think many of them notice one you turn up reasonably regularly.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 04:42:19 pm »
Yes, but knowing me if I had 80% top whack work I would want the extra 20% too for the longer days and better weather. Working at full capacity means you can work all the times you want to as there is always work to be done.

Yes, the custy cometimes has to wait but I have never had a complaint. I don't think many of them notice one you turn up reasonably regularly.

That's where we differ. On the longer sunny days I will go off for a bike ride for a few hours.

Dave Willis

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 04:47:54 pm »
My business just took off if that helps.  ???

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 04:53:37 pm »
Its an interesting thread this. Different cleaners work in different ways.  I work set days work each week so my customers know exactly when I'm coming and I try to fill the days to near capacity.  I am very rarely late, I worked today in the snow.  Others have a round that they loop so to speak just doing the next customer once they have done the previous regardless of the date.

The point about charging 25% on top is very relevant as loads of knew windies go in at very low prices to replace shop or factory work and then can't work out why they aren't making a living.  Yes you should always be trying to shed lower paid work when your books are nearly full.

Simon.

davids3511

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 04:58:54 pm »

That's where we differ. On the longer sunny days I will go off for a bike ride for a few hours.
Ideally thet's where I want to be in a year or so but right now the loans, mortgage, credit card and store cards x 2 dictate I need to work hard.

gavinb

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 05:52:20 pm »
Only at%20 .

brianbarber

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 06:04:15 pm »
Its an interesting thread this. Different cleaners work in different ways.  I work set days work each week so my customers know exactly when I'm coming and I try to fill the days to near capacity.  I am very rarely late, I worked today in the snow.  Others have a round that they loop so to speak just doing the next customer once they have done the previous regardless of the date.

The point about charging 25% on top is very relevant as loads of knew windies go in at very low prices to replace shop or factory work and then can't work out why they aren't making a living.  Yes you should always be trying to shed lower paid work when your books are nearly full.

Simon.

At last, I'm working exactly the same, I keep it very tight.
Over Xmas, if they are due, I miss the due date and tell custy next clean jan 25th etc etc.
That way,I'm not behind, and even with losing that bit of income, it's much less stressful as your mind set is not in the 'I'm behind' mode
Oh, and I worked in the snow, got few weird looks, like I'd killed their mother, but just cracked on...

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 06:24:17 pm »
love these threads and how people approach them

we have always used rigid schedules for the rounds, thats not to say in extreme circs. we wont move
a day to slot in a week later, breaks like Christmas means the whole schedule moves 2 weeks along.

with this weather we are approx 3 days behind but running at around 85/90 % which leaves us a small
amount of wriggle room plus saturday we should be back on track.

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

bobplum

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 07:19:59 pm »
this partly why i went from 4 weekly to monthly to gain a few extra days and have stopped working Saturdays if i am behind then i am behind

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 09:08:25 pm »
i work at about 80% capacity.if i can work tuesday-sat this week and 4 days work next week ill complete my work this month with no money lost.

most work is roughly monthly.i really dont wanna work 5 or 6 days flat out every week.this allows me to catch up and more importantly allows a bit of breathing space to chill out before the next months onslaught of work.it stops me from getting too bored of window cleaning and allows for me to complete the extra add on jobs during the spring and summer months.

im very organized and have lots of compact work with very little driving between jobs which helps a lot in burning through my work.

im always losing the odd job and picking up better paying jobs here and there so im still up on earnings every year without any more effort!! ;) ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

TomCrowther

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 09:34:08 pm »
doing the working month like Dazmond is much better for the body too.

robertphil

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 09:38:53 pm »
i make sure that 1 week in 6 is the easy week,a weak diary list,  this is then something to look forward to

davids3511

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 10:19:20 pm »
doing the working month like Dazmond is much better for the body too.
Tom, that photo we were discussing earlier - dstritch56@hotmail.com please. Just so I know what the setup looks like.