Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

PurefectWindowCleaning

Rinsing issue
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:31:26 pm »
Im trying to narrow down the reasons why we are using more water than what I think we should be.

Im pretty sure were spending to much time on each window and frame, and that video that is dong the rounds suggests that we are.

Now then, when you rinse and it gushes down down the window like a water fall I have no problems with, its when the water splits off into 'rivers' down the glass so to speak.

Its these types of windows that i reckon we are using to much water on as trying to cover the whole peice of glass.

What you guys reckon?

Nick_Thompson

Re: Rinsing issue
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:53:29 pm »
I think you will find that with a substantial flow rate (3 L per min+) you don’t have to achieve a sheeting effect on hydrophobic glass to rinse successfully.

Nick
Do quantum mechanics fix old transits?

And let us not forget, voyeurism is an occupational hazard that we simply must endure.

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 10:09:39 pm »
James - is using water a real issue for you ? do you run out before completing a days work?

i personally wouldn't skimp on rinsing and whether the glass sheets or beads if your flow is good then your natural rythem
of cleaning and should be the same.

1 of the reasons i use fan jets is i get better covrage inside the brush head and with the high flow i can cover the glass
without fear of spotting.

ways to save water is less scrubbing - reg. cleaned windows that have no bird strike or snail trails need minimal scrub barely 1 pass before rinsing the other is a trigger.tap or AD to stop water flow beween windows or wiping sills or even tackling stubborn stains- this can save a good 50 ltrs in a day.

rinsing is IMO the key to stop free finish - don't try to cut it to the bone - better happy complaint free custy's than saving 1 or 2 quid on water and getting complaints or losing customers  ( a loss of 1 customer can easily be a couple of hundred ££  PA )

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:58:08 pm »
Currently rocking a 250ltr system Smudger, so yes we do run out. We have a tap fitted which helps.

So the diffrent types of glass... do you treat them the same when it comes to rinsing? Move down every 5cm etc?

bobplum

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:19:51 pm »
can you go out with another cleaner for half a day and observe

aqua adapter will save you money in terms of water, weight might be a issue
fan jets are imo better,bigger coverage on the glass means you rinse less and i tend to find you work faster
what flow rate are you on? trying lowering a few degrees
do you switch the water off when cleaning upstairs sills or leave it on
5 cm distance when rinsing? i would reconsider that especially on regular maintenance cleans

DO YOU HAVE O.C.D? maybe your over doing it :D

practice on your own glass

R.C Property

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:33:00 pm »
it might just be the fan jets i have, but i find then rubbish to use, not enough power to rinse off bits plus i find i use more water due to this.

windiewasher

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 11:51:07 pm »
I used 250 lites of water today on 22 houses in 5 hours 45 minutes.
Aslong as you rinse a hydrophobic window the way you would one that sheets you will have no issues.
So basically i use approx 12 litres a 3 bed 60s semi.
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

mark dew

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 12:04:04 am »
Currently rocking a 250ltr system Smudger, so yes we do run out. We have a tap fitted which helps.

So the diffrent types of glass... do you treat them the same when it comes to rinsing? Move down every 5cm etc?

If there are 2 of you then you are doing very well if you can almost get a days work out of a 250L. Even with 1 you are doing ok.

Yes treat the 2 different types of glass the same. Keep your brush debris free as well because you are always rinsing while you are brushing anyway.

I know this sounds a bit silly, but instead of giving each window the same treatment take notice of the window 1st and clean it accordingly. There might be no spiders nests or bird muck on the window. If so it doesn't need the same time as one that has.

wpclean

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 12:18:44 am »
Can you imagine a tradesman going to a customer, and running out of materials,and hoping they will not notice that the job is not done ?

mark dew

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 12:29:46 am »
Can you imagine a tradesman going to a customer, and running out of materials,and hoping they will not notice that the job is not done ?

Am not sure are you referring to my post samson?
What do you mean?  ;D

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 07:06:36 am »
James - yes i treat 99% of windows the same - i use fan jets and rinse brush on - there are always exceptions where i do some really old leaded or the paint is a bit flakey but as Mark pointed out if a window has no spiders webs etc.. then less time is required to clean them.

you said 'we' then 250 lts is woefully inadaquate for a full days work. when i had my solo set up i started with 250 ltrs after 4 months i had to move upto a 400 ltr as this was just enough for most days ( around 25 to 30 properties )

i now have a 2 man set up and use between 500 and 800 ltrs per day and have sometimes used the full 1000 ltrs

if you are doing 15 houses with 250 ltrs then your slightly heavy on water and it's a matter of reviewing your techique a bit but i really think you need a larger tank

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Mike @ Facelift

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 10:51:06 am »
James, would your van accommodate a larger tank than your current 250 Litre?

There is a huge possibility that your current tank can simply be connected to a secondary tank. This would fill and empty and the same rate as your current if connected right and the only cost incurred would be the tank and the fitting kit.

Most economical way to increase your capacity aside from 25 Litre containers.

R.C Property

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 11:17:14 am »
James, would your van accommodate a larger tank than your current 250 Litre?

There is a huge possibility that your current tank can simply be connected to a secondary tank. This would fill and empty and the same rate as your current if connected right and the only cost incurred would be the tank and the fitting kit.

Most economical way to increase your capacity aside from 25 Litre containers.

thats what i did, i started off in a car with a 125lt tank, then brought the van with a 250lt, plumbed them both together, once the 250lt tank gets past halfway, i open the tap on the 125lt tank and it emptys into the 250lt tank.

roundbuilder

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 12:19:34 pm »
I used to see my pure water as the magic formuler and scrimp on it using under 200 litres a day and got umpteen complaints.
Now i dont even use a flow controller i just work flat out full on full blast with triggers on poles. I use averagly 400-500 litres a day each van but get next to no complaints with the added bonus of getting round days work in a much quicker time from a heavy flow rate for rinsing. Defo get a bigger tank.

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 03:40:58 pm »
Thanks again for your replys people.

Gonna get on the hunt for a larger tank, 350ltr should do the trick.