Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

taylor watson

ladder help required
« on: December 16, 2012, 09:47:57 am »
so ive took on quite a lot of work from a ladder window cleaner. ive always done wfp so i need a little help. ive just bought some ladders and am now looking for some mops and squeegees. and maybe some tips on the actual cleaning of windows. my questions are;

Q- what do i need in the way of safety things for the ladder? mitts, slipmats ect

Q- how much work can you do in a day? just to plan allotted time. my average 2up 2down houses usually range between 6-8 pounds and it takes me about 5-10 mins with wfp

Q- how do you fix your ladders to the roof rack? i have ladder clamps but the seem to take ages. any quick release ideas.

Q- how do you secure a wfp to the rack so that it wont fly of in transit.

i probably have more questions but these are the pressing ones

any help will be appreciated, Thanks

Steve Sed

Re: ladder help required
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 09:58:34 am »
Why are you using ladders?

Banbury Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 09:59:53 am »
cant you try and convert them to WFP?? will be easier in the long run.

ok answers IMO

1) Rojak ladder stoppers are very good
2) How long is a piece of string?? will be slower trad we now do about 50% more wfp so I would nearly double the time unless your quick and good with a squeegee
3) Ladder clamps are the safest! couple of guys round our way use bungee cords although i am assuming this would not be very safe
4) gutter piping with end caps. search the forum for this as there is a few threads abt them
In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their environment."

taylor watson

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 10:07:41 am »
its an old alms house with very old windows. ive tried this type of windows with a brush head and it damaged them plus i would actually like to learn the old school way.

thanks for the advice. ive seen the gutter piping process but have always wondered how the brush stops from flying out. one end can have the cap on but how about the other end with the brush? do you remove the brush head each time. sorry to sound like such a novice but its something ive never done before

also really small windows? do you just get a smaller squeegee blade?

Steve Sed

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 10:23:30 am »

also really small windows? do you just get a smaller squeegee blade?

As in leaded? Microfibre or scrim?

dave f

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 10:38:27 am »
dont waste your money, wfp em you may loose some,but wots worse loosing a few custys or youre life  or badley injured if no experiance with ladders sounds dramatic but fact imo

taylor watson

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 10:56:42 am »
just small windows. not leaded. just little 5 inch windows. do i trim a rubber and rail down?

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 11:45:03 am »
If all the panes are the same size, cut a channel slightly shorter than the width of the pane so that when you fit the rubber (slightly longer than the channel) it will just span without "climbing" up the putty/frame at each side.

Make an applicator the same way, but slightly longer so no bits get missed at the edges.

Swab with verticle strokes.

WIPE ROUND THE SIDES AND ACROSS THE TOP IN ONE CONTINUOUS MOTION FROM THE BOTTOM, UP AND ACROSS AND DOWN AGAIN with a cloth to remove the water from the frame and just a very narrow strip of glass at the edge.

Wipe you squeegee blade with a DRY cloth (wring out after every 3 or 4 panes) then make one single pass from top to bottom.

When you get this right every pane will be perfect and will take seconds to do.

Larger panes, of course are a completely different kettle of fish ;D

taylor watson

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 11:56:08 am »
thanks. anyone got any help with my downpipe question?

ascjim

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 12:01:10 pm »
I agree with everyone else. Just do them wfp. Be confident.

Banbury Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 04:28:27 pm »
Just cut a slot in the pipe so the brush can hang down
In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their environment."

Jakey boy

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 04:51:47 pm »
B&q ladder
Squeegee
Applicator
Bucket with loads of fairy liquid in and hot water

Scrim and wet cloth (for sills)

Done! , takes me 10 mins for a 3 bed semi max, winders for roof rack take seconds once you've got used to it,

I can honestly say that it takes me the same amount of time as a WFP guy, by the time he's got everything out the van etc, I'm on the second window, and I fly round, not worrying about safety, I find you just 'know' where to put the ladder, and it just all works seamlessly.

Not knocking WFP, I just find trad is quick and simple, and cost effective, can easily do 3-4 3 bed semis in an hour,

Enjoy doing it the manly way! Rahhhh!

Richard60

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 05:39:10 pm »
cant fault you ,jakey
i was the same when i was 18 .
i m 60 now .but i do
  a semi in 8 mins with my backpack .
and 3- 4 semis in 50 mins .with back pack
 ;D bring it on .dump the ladders

taylor watson

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 06:52:26 pm »
thanks jakey for the vote of confidence. in all honesty it will be the staff going up the ladders so ill just get amazing insurance lol.

what do you mean cut a slot in the pipe? ive googled how to make a downpipe roof rack attachment and im none the wiser. just been to B&Q and had them stare blankly as i describe what i want. any youtube links would  help.

thanks for all the replies