Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dave0123

leaking tank lids.
« on: December 14, 2012, 07:25:18 pm »
Does anyone get any leaking tank lids?

I have two 125 litre tanks linked together to make 250 litres i seem to get the tank lids water leaking from the bottom. The water runs down the eges into the end and onto the floor. The seals are still in the tank lids does anyone else have this problem?

Dave.

ALAN HAYNES

Re: leaking tank lids.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 07:27:53 pm »
yes all the time

dave0123

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 07:33:06 pm »
anyway of stopping it? or havent u tried
Dave.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:35:28 pm »
someone used to use tesco carry bags over the opening then put lid on,havent tried it me self but that was read somewhere

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:42:27 pm »
Stuff foam, not too tightly, in to the breather making sure air can still pass through.
Do quantum mechanics fix old transits?

And let us not forget, voyeurism is an occupational hazard that we simply must endure.

Mike #1

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 07:58:07 pm »
I use self amalgamating tape it acts like a rubber seal over vent tape up well then puncture a few holes in works for me .

But if i overfill tank it will still leak a bit . Mike

dave0123

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 08:02:37 pm »
i dont think its the vents, i think its coming from the thread where you screw the lids on.

Dave.

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 08:08:04 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metric-O-Ring-Cord-Nitrile-Rubber-From-0-99-Per-Metre-NEXT-DAY-DEL-AVAILABLE-/120893807581?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1c25d51bdd

We found that the 3 x 125 litre tanks fitted to our trailer never had seals in the lids at all.

We bought a couple of meters of 5mm diamt, cut them slightly longer than the circumference of the seal grove in the lid and 'compressed' it in. That has worked fine.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Mike #1

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 08:20:17 pm »
Mine defo has a seal but of course if you have driven up a steep bank then a full tank will leak which i think is when mine leaks but not much ,

I have plastic liner in back of truck and any water which does leak goes out the bottom of the tailgate .  Mike

Cliff perkins

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 09:30:51 pm »
Should write a topic how many windies have a clean unwet leakless van.
The answer is probably 0
I gave up ages ago lol
Www.1stglasswindowcleaning.co.uk

ray mck

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 10:04:34 pm »
i just wet a chamois put it over the hole then screw the lid on top,works good.

dave0123

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 12:42:04 am »
Thanks for the reply's i will try a couple of the above  :)  . just sick of the leaking water never used to do it.
Dave.

PoleKing

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 11:59:06 am »
@cliff-mine's dry.
Only clean on a Monday though.  ;D

www.laneswindowcleaning.com Rutland
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Xline Systems

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 12:26:06 pm »
you can buy a conversion kit for most tanks, the kits are awsome, no leaks what so ever. the smaller tanks are hard to convert but 350ltr upwards are simple

Window Washers

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 01:19:09 pm »
someone used to use tesco carry bags over the opening then put lid on,havent tried it me self but that was read somewhere
i know use white carrier as tesco didn't want to pay for the advertising

Little tip: put a few little holes in it to allow air in or the tank will suck together and air lock
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

R.C Property

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 02:10:27 pm »
The answer is probably 0
I gave up ages ago lol

The only time my van is wet is when I over fill and flood it.

My tanks don't leak, not since I installed them over a year ago.
Only leak i have is when the hose connector from hose to pole starts to go and needs replacing.

Window Washers

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 02:18:03 pm »
The answer is probably 0
I gave up ages ago lol

all of the tanks I have had from wydale leak I was going seal them and add my own lid but can't clean inside of tank so didn't.
My vans have water on floor they work like horses,I will not win any awards for driest.

Probs win for most uncomplicated though  :D
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

R.C Property

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 02:25:35 pm »
The answer is probably 0
I gave up ages ago lol

all of the tanks I have had from wydale leak I was going seal them and add my own lid but can't clean inside of tank so didn't.
My vans have water on floor they work like horses,I will not win any awards for driest.

Yer my tank are from them to! I cut a new filling hole and fitted new spout that has breathing holes in, then just unscrew that lid to fill tanks and have sealed the main black lids down for the reason they will always leak. My van is a dry workhorse lol

Window Washers

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 02:28:26 pm »
The answer is probably 0
I gave up ages ago lol

Yer my tank are from them to! I cut a new filling hole and fitted new spout that has breathing holes in, then just unscrew that lid to fill tanks and have sealed the main black lids down for the reason they will always leak. My van is a dry workhorse lol
i remember seeing your van :) if you ever fancy a drive to Cambridgeshire I have three tanks that could benefit from your lid fitting skills!

What parts did you use ?

R.C Property

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 02:33:04 pm »
The answer is probably 0
I gave up ages ago lol

i remember seeing your van :) if you ever fancy a drive to Cambridgeshire I have three tanks that could benefit from your lid fitting skills!

What parts did you use ?

I'll get pictures up for you later, they are plumbing fittings that are used with in houses.

Cambridge isn't really that far really, so it's not a problem to do that! I got some work to do over near that way in St. Neots!