Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Scrimble

Re: Phoenix poles
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 06:57:53 pm »
handled one and not happy with it, too heavy,

its a rip off they claim to be 100 percent carbon fibre but they have a fibreglass base section

4 section 18ft pole when 1 section is fibreglass that means your only getting a 75 percent carbon fibre pole

Scrimble, would be interested in seeing what too heavy is in relation to? We've looked at everything out there and would say this wasn't the case at all, but value opinions all the same.

A fibreglass base is pretty much the norm for all water fed poles for protection purposes.

its got a fibreglass base section when it is marketed as a full carbon fibre pole? very misleading and if i had of ordered and received one i would of been fuming when i found out.

comparing it to my slx18 and slx-18 xtreme it feels heavy, i dont beleive its for protection purposes for one second, my slx doesnt have a fibreglass section, it is down to 1 thing and that is it makes the pole cheaper to produce

Stephen Fox

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 09:07:27 pm »
Scrimble,

Unfortunately, the SLX is not a 100% carbon pole either, the base section has fiberglass content as do the Phoenix. Do you feel you have been misleaded?

Also weight wise the SLX 18 and Phoenix X 18 are pretty much identical. The Phoenix might actually be lighter.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 09:28:44 pm »
Scrimble,

Unfortunately, the SLX is not a 100% carbon pole either, the base section has fiberglass content as do the Phoenix. Do you feel you have been misleaded?

Also weight wise the SLX 18 and Phoenix X 18 are pretty much identical. The Phoenix might actually be lighter.

For accuracy sake the Phoenix 'full carbon poles' have a complete fibre glass base section on each pole. The SLX & Super-Max 'full carbon poles' have carbon fibre base sections with a very thin insulative layer (about 0.20mm) applied as a final wrap on top of the carbon section - therefore this is not 'as' the Phoenix is, as the Phoenix has a 100% fibre glass handle section.

There is no 'misleading' with this as the website clearly states:
100% Carbon content on extending sections
Insulated handle surface

wightsurf

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 09:30:34 pm »
I think you have a Alert cookies somewhere,Alex  ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 09:33:35 pm »
So let me get this straight - the current SLX's have a carbon fibre base section but a different material on top to insulate. What is that insulating material?
It's a game of three halves!

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 09:38:22 pm »
So let me get this straight - the current SLX's have a carbon fibre base section but a different material on top to insulate. What is that insulating material?

We use a finely woven fibre glass layer to provide insulation. Good old fibre glass is still one of the best/lightest insulators out there.

Ceramic if viable would work as well, but is not quite as insulative as glass and the weight would not be so good!

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »
Looks like its all going to start again ;D ;D

My advice to Phoenix connections would be to avoid comparing to the Gardiner range,especially when the shiny weave finish starts wearing at the predicted rate.

I have no problems with any pole in the market place unless i`m being told i should buy it because its implied its better than the one i have.I don`t believe this(Phoenix better than an SL-X) will prove to be the case,nor is there a financial incentive or a customer service track record to be made aware of.

So its a buy and try and that becomes a leap of faith and means dismissing every ounce of common sense i`ve slowly been able to muster over nearly 50 years.

Stephen Fox

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 09:44:33 pm »
Scrimble,

For accuracy sake the Phoenix 'full carbon poles' have a complete fibre glass base section on each pole. The SLX & Super-Max 'full carbon poles' have carbon fibre base sections with a very thin insulative layer (about 0.20mm) applied as a final wrap on top of the carbon section - therefore this is not 'as' the Phoenix is, as the Phoenix has a 100% fibre glass handle section.

There is no 'misleading' with this as the website clearly states:
100% Carbon content on extending sections
Insulated handle surface

Alex, I simply stated the SLX has glass fibre content in the base section as you have admitted. I've pointed out to scrimble that his SLX is not 100% carbon as he seems to think it is

AuRavelling79

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 09:55:36 pm »
Stephen - I think there is a huge difference between 0.2mm layer of fibre-glass coating on an otherwise carbon section and a 100% fibre glass bottom section.

I should know - my very old but working SLX30 plus 5ft extension has a solid fibreglass bottom section. My later SLX's have fully carbon (but coated) bottom sections and my extreme has carbon extensions (coated I guess?)
It's a game of three halves!

DeLuce

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2012, 10:03:12 pm »
I was thinking the same thing as Gold. No offence, but if you were to remove the fibreglass parts of both poles, on the Phoenix you would have no bottom section at all. With the SLX you would have a full pole including the bottom section but it would be 0.2mm more slender. That's quite a difference.

Stephen Fox

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 10:15:48 pm »
I could see what you are saying if there was a negative aspect to having the glass base on the Phoenix, but there isn't. Weight/performance/rigidity wise it has no real adverse effects and fully holds its own against anything/everything out there.

We have full carbon bases but having glassfibre adds hardly any thing to the pole at this length and gives full insulation to boot.

Lee GLS

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 10:23:37 pm »
I could see what you are saying if there was a negative aspect to having the glass base on the Phoenix, but there isn't. Weight/performance/rigidity wise it has no real adverse effects and fully holds its own against anything/everything out there.

We have full carbon bases but having glassfibre adds hardly any thing to the pole at this length and gives full insulation to boot.

So why not make the price cheaper to reflect the fact that it has a FG base, after all FG poles are dirt cheap, then it would make buying one more appealing   ???

wightsurf

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 10:26:00 pm »
Lee , I was just asking myself the very same Question .

Lee GLS

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2012, 11:04:29 pm »

So why not make the price cheaper to reflect the fact that it has a FG base, after all FG poles are dirt cheap, then it would make buying one more appealing   ???

Not going to answer my question then Stephen, even though you are online   ???

Stephen Fox

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2012, 11:22:38 pm »
No not online always, browser maybe.

As for the question. We've all ready made the price as low as possible and factored everything in, we use a very high quality carbon (not all carbon is the same, especially true in WFP) that's why we can use a glass base with no downsides and be able to go toe to toe with anything out there.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 08:44:51 am »
Scrimble,

Thatsd
Foxman, big difference between having a full fibreglass handle and a full carbon handle with some insulating layer on top. Quite misleading.  :)

G & M

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 09:45:25 pm »
If the weight and rigidity are the same whats the big deal. Personally I think that I would prefer the full fibre glass base section for safety reasons. I say this because if the outer coating on the slx got damaged it would no longer be insulated. For the record all our poles are Gardiner poles at the moment. I will buy a phoenix in the near future and believe its in everybodys interest to have a choice of manufacturers.

KLEENAWAY

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 10:23:01 pm »

As for the question. We've all ready made the price as low as possible and factored everything in, we use a very high quality carbon (not all carbon is the same, especially true in WFP) that's why we can use a glass base with no downsides and be able to go toe to toe with anything out there.

Hi Stephen

Just wondering if the problems with the necks and clamps have been sorted yet as i was thinking of trying one out after crimbo?

Danny

Stephen Fox

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 10:37:09 pm »
Scrimble,

Thatsd
Foxman, big difference between having a full fibreglass handle and a full carbon handle with some insulating layer on top. Quite misleading.  :)

Tim, its not a big difference at all. That's the point. All the spec's are the equivalent if not better, yet it should be the other way round...

Stephen Fox

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 10:56:32 pm »

Hi Stephen

Just wondering if the problems with the necks and clamps have been sorted yet as i was thinking of trying one out after crimbo?

Danny

Danny,

The only issues with necks/clamps we have had is a very small percentage, first runs, where the material was a little too brittle. We've changed that and have further developed the design to make it stronger than ever. Our aim is to constantly develop the range to perfection, the feedback has been amazing and customers seeing the design advantages over what is available immediately.

Have you had a chance to use the poles? What do you think?