This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve kiff

Solar panel cleaning
« on: December 10, 2012, 06:46:12 pm »
Does anyone offer solar panel cleaning as part of there services.?

If so how Often do you clean them?

Do you charge the same as if you were cleaning a standard window. Or charge more as they are harder to reach? 

I've just added this to my list of services and want to make sure I'm charging the right price. Not to mention cleaning them as frequent as I can get away with.

PoleKing

Re: Solar panel cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 10:43:22 pm »
We do.
We only charge £1 a panel (minimum £10 though) but ours are domestic so only need 30ft pole to reach.
We 'sell' it because (don't quote me on technicalities) if one panel is dirty the voltage(?) drops and the rest drop to the lowest one.
So 'cleaning will actually save you money!)

www.laneswindowcleaning.com Rutland
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Steve kiff

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 12:01:12 am »
Brilliant. Thanks for the reply! :-)

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 02:50:49 am »
the prices i have heard was more like £5 a panel.I think it would depend were you are. If you clean a 3 bed semi for 5 quid the charge a pound .BUT YOU ARE GETTING 15 QUID A HOUSE THEN CHARGE 4/5 A PANEL.

Rob Knapman

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 09:03:20 am »
Was looking at some solar panels the other day in my area stuck on top of large 3 bed semi council houses, they look almost impossible to do off the ground and the time you get ladders and pole out I think i would be charging more than a quid each :o
Knapman Cleaning services, washing glass since 1945

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 10:19:09 pm »
We are doing it A LOT!  Priced up a 17,000 panel installation this week. We market it as a premium service.  Loads of people can clean windows, but not all can clean solar panels, no matter what they say.  Don't undersell the service.  We make more on solar jobs per hour than any of our other services.

A clean every 6 months is perfect for the customer and you.

Cliff perkins

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 10:24:17 pm »
Do you clean them the same way as a pane of glass
And does it take the ssme time ?
Www.1stglasswindowcleaning.co.uk

Steve kiff

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 10:38:26 pm »
We are doing it A LOT!  Priced up a 17,000 panel installation this week. We market it as a premium service.  Loads of people can clean windows, but not all can clean solar panels, no matter what they say.  Don't undersell the service.  We make more on solar jobs per hour than any of our other services.

I just checked out your website. Brilliant. Answered all my questions straight away. I've added it to my services as I'm seeing more and more solar panels appearing where I live.
I'm sure more & more people will be installing them in the future so I'm sure this can be quite lucrative for all window cleaners that have the correct knowledge & equipment.   Thanks

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 07:56:07 am »

I just checked out your website. Brilliant. Answered all my questions straight away. I've added it to my services as I'm seeing more and more solar panels appearing where I live.
I'm sure more & more people will be installing them in the future so I'm sure this can be quite lucrative for all window cleaners that have the correct knowledge & equipment.   Thanks
Thanks. Glad you like the website. It's is designed for public information only, I have some other ideas for the industry. I've started talking to a very well respected university about the possibility of them accrediting solar panel cleaning training days. It will focus on cleaning, health & safety, marketing, pricing, benefits of solar cleaning etc. only a possibility at the moment.

I must admit that publicly, this idea has been slammed by other window cleaners on other forums, but equally, I have had a lot of very good interest via private messages. I would be interested to get some feedback here as it seems a more professional forum, rather than a place to bash other people!

andyM

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 07:58:44 am »
We are doing it A LOT!  Priced up a 17,000 panel installation this week. We market it as a premium service.  Loads of people can clean windows, but not all can clean solar panels, no matter what they say.  Don't undersell the service.  We make more on solar jobs per hour than any of our other services.

I'm sure more & more people will be installing them in the future so I'm sure this can be quite lucrative for all window cleaners that have the correct knowledge & equipment.   Thanks
Thanks. Glad you like the website. It's is designed for public information only, I have some other ideas for the industry. I've started talking to a very well respected university about the possibility of them accrediting solar panel cleaning training days. It will focus on cleaning, health & safety, marketing, pricing, benefits of solar cleaning etc. only a possibility at the moment.
I must admit that publicly, this idea has been slammed by other window cleaners on other forums, but equally, I have had a lot of very good interest via private messages. I would be interested to get some feedback here as it seems a more professional forum, rather than a place to bash other people!

Oh FFS not another one?!?!!............. :-X
One of the Plebs

trevor perry

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 08:09:15 am »

sounds a good idea to me, have you ever had to use chemicals on some jobs or has water always been sufficient i have only done a few and hot water has always worked but i have seen some badly stained ones on my travels but not had to tackle one of these as yet.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

gewindows

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 08:26:56 am »
Nice website.

My only point of issue would be that you liken the dirt build-up on solar panels to the dirt that accumulates on car wind-screens. Solar panels aren't subject to the same levels of pollution that cars are though, such as that from other vehicles exhausts, salt, oil and fuel particulates etc; youve only got to drive down a lane on a day when the weather is as we've had of late and your car wind-screen is as dirty as before you last cleaned it in a matter of minutes.

Interesting stuff though, ta.

Window Washers

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 10:50:18 am »

I would like to know about this and where else your talking about this Steve so could you email me design@windowwashers.co.uk you will find resistence on here for anything thats training related imo
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

DeLuce

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 11:12:36 am »
Thanks for this info, I'm just in the process of promoting this service, having an extra sign on the van. Any cleaning tips and information are always welcome and certainly gives me insight into what to expect. Thanks.

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 11:12:46 am »

sounds a good idea to me, have you ever had to use chemicals on some jobs or has water always been sufficient i have only done a few and hot water has always worked but i have seen some badly stained ones on my travels but not had to tackle one of these as yet.
Chemicals are not recommended at all. That said, it is another avenue that we are exploring with a manufacturer and installer.

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 11:17:05 am »
Nice website.

My only point of issue would be that you liken the dirt build-up on solar panels to the dirt that accumulates on car wind-screens. Solar panels aren't subject to the same levels of pollution that cars are though, such as that from other vehicles exhausts, salt, oil and fuel particulates etc; youve only got to drive down a lane on a day when the weather is as we've had of late and your car wind-screen is as dirty as before you last cleaned it in a matter of minutes.

Interesting stuff though, ta.
Glad you like it.  The windscreen illustration is given in the sense of leaving your car stationary. If you go abroad and leave your car parked in the open for a fortnight, your screen will be a right mess.  Imagine leaving it for 12 months and then coming to drive your car.  The accumulated dirt would clearly be visible. The same principle applies to solar panels.

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 11:22:35 am »
By the way, all the material and photos on the website are copyrighted, but if anyone wants to copy and paste something onto their website, please contact me.

I don't mind, so long as there is a line to say something like :"windscreen illustration provided courtesy of www.solar-panel-cleaners.com", and a link going to our website.  That is only an example.

Without the link, we will ask for the material to be removed.

I will probably get grief again for mentioning that, however, we do have window cleaners who have done exactly that and who are enjoying good results and getting profitable enquiries. It builds customer confidence.

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 11:23:57 am »
Thanks for this info, I'm just in the process of promoting this service, having an extra sign on the van. Any cleaning tips and information are always welcome and certainly gives me insight into what to expect. Thanks.
Please email via the website for more info and I will try to answer your questions.

Ian101

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 12:47:08 pm »

just dont mention NVQ's or sales funnel  :-X

cracking website !!

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 12:51:21 pm »
 ;D  Cool.  Will bear it in mind!!!