This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

What do you do?

Just put the ladder up and climb over.
81.3%
26 (81.3%)
We dont carry ladders and would never access from a ladder.
9.4%
3 (9.4%)
Always tie the ladder off or use other safety measures
9.4%
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Flat roof access
« on: October 02, 2012, 11:49:52 am »
Following on from a couple of comments on here. How do most deal with flat roof access. Either flat roof where you simply step on it or having to climb over a wall or railing.

Plus what do you THINK/KNOW what the law requires.

Mike #1

Re: Flat roof access
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 12:25:01 pm »
On a few domestic properties with windows on the side of the house I will use my telescopic ladder .

But I wont go over garage roofs to access the rear of any property I work on my own so a lot of H & S does not spply to me . Mike

SB Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 01:11:07 pm »
I use a telescopic ladder good bit of kit for the odd flat roof .

Window Washers

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 01:53:26 pm »
We dont go over flat roof's anymore and still carry ladders

These are not my target market, if we cant get it from the ground it does not get cleaned
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 03:59:18 pm »
As I understand it you should have 'fall arrest' equipment if going over 'balcony type' railings onto a flat roof.

p1w1

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 04:38:10 pm »
We dont go over flat roof's anymore and still carry ladders

These are not my target market, if we cant get it from the ground it does not get cleaned

The exact same for me..except i don't even carry ladders any more for window cleaning

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 04:44:20 pm »

I work on my own so a lot of H & S does not spply to me . Mike

I love that bit, I seem to have forgotton the paragraph in the WAHD that allows a get out clause because you work on your own, can you please refresh us on where this paragraph is?

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 08:15:18 pm »

I work on my own so a lot of H & S does not spply to me . Mike

I love that bit, I seem to have forgotton the paragraph in the WAHD that allows a get out clause because you work on your own, can you please refresh us on where this paragraph is?

yes, I was going to ask that as well.

You don't have to have a written risk assessment for each job if you have less than 5 employees, but you are still required to assess the risks of each job beforehand, even if you've done it a thousand time previously. If you do have an accident, how do you prove to an H&S inspector that you made a dynamic assessment before you started if you don't have anything written down.

PUWER98 makes everyone, including a sole trader, responsible for the correct use of equipment in the process of doing his job.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)