This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

David Salkeld

Re: DIY is better
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 06:59:17 am »
Many can Thanks DIY WFP MATT ( google him as he is banned from here ) for stepping up and pushing the idea many years ago

HERE HERE  ;)
Good Honest Service

david wood

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 08:07:55 am »
diy all the way .why pay thousands on a posh looking tank .and be a prisoner to buying there spares .and haveing to take days of becouse i had leaky or broken parts /if i have a problam now i can nip to b&q or to a local window cleaning shop and fix it my self .instead of takeing a full day of work and driveing miles to where you bought your set up from and pray they had spares in stock.

David Salkeld

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 05:21:05 pm »
I am very pleasantly surprised to here so many DIY folks on here  :D

When I first went WFP in 2006 I came on here to get the idea.
Back then there were people like..
Jeff Brimble,
Jouk 4
Matt,
Oh and a guy.......I forget his name...he did a battery tutorial.
Was an alarm engineer.
Built a trailer system. Anyone remember him?
It was him who said KISS
And Tosh had a BP, Barrels, and Unger Ali poles.
Then there was.......Squeaky.........
"You and your bog brushes"
Then went WFP !!

I'm proud of my DIY trailer........works well.........still needs one or two things tyding up
But it works well and earns me a good living.

David
Good Honest Service

Frankybadboy

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 05:34:22 pm »
i stick with my 8k system and you can all stick with your crappy diy rubbish :P :P ;) ;) ;)

robbo333

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 05:36:45 pm »
Pure freedom trolley plumbed into a secondhand 350 tank for me. Love it!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

David Salkeld

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 05:43:57 pm »
Pure freedom trolley plumbed into a secondhand 350 tank for me. Love it!

Pure Freedom are a good firm, local to me. There trolley is excellent.
But I have a DIY one, jus as good, for half the price.

You see, not everyone wants to spend hours building their own system.
But a lot, like me, enjoy it  :D
Good Honest Service

Ian101

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 05:44:11 pm »
Just changed vans and built my own 500 litre system - took my time - done wiring properly soldered and hidden - currently tank in with a ratchet strap against bulkhead - best of both worlds would be to get tank and frame fitted proffesionally and do rest yourself.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 06:16:13 pm »
Combination of both. I've got the GrippaMax 650 tank and restraint system, but everything around it is DIY (doesn't look DIY though). I like it that way, I know exactly what I want and how I want it. No system installer can do that for me.

My first system had a Purefreedom 400L cage, but again everything around it was DIY.

Spruce

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 07:25:01 pm »
Combination of both. I've got the GrippaMax 650 tank and restraint system, but everything around it is DIY (doesn't look DIY though). I like it that way, I know exactly what I want and how I want it. No system installer can do that for me.
/
My first system had a Purefreedom 400L cage, but again everything around it was DIY.

Hi Tim
How is this Grippamax system secured underneath please?
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Steve_c

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 08:41:49 pm »
DIY is fine. My diy works perfectly thank you. and guess what it cleans windows just like a bought system.....amazing! Has done for the last 9 years.
If you want to shell out a lot more money because you lack the competence and confidence then that's your problem.
As long as you do it properly diy is fine.
Good for you, but what most forget, if say you make one of them crappy harris poles and it breaks and does damage to property or say a parked car you are not covered Fact, Have an accident in your van with your home made system and you haven't had it fitted properly your brown bread. A neighbour of mine is a loss adjuster he told me he will look at all loop holes not pay a claim. When I set my Business up he gave me very good advice that is why I brought ionics systems because they are sledge tested and crash test to thatcham requirements. He also said if i did a modification to my van( Having a System fitted is), and its not fitted by a recognised trader IE pure freedom, ionics, they may well not pay out. I will carry on with my fitted system you carry on with your home made stuff.  As for lack of confidence  and competence I dont think so, its not my fault you probably didn't have the pound notes and had to make your own, price right and grow your business and you too can afford one. Regards

David Salkeld

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 09:24:39 pm »
DIY is fine. My diy works perfectly thank you. and guess what it cleans windows just like a bought system.....amazing! Has done for the last 9 years.
If you want to shell out a lot more money because you lack the competence and confidence then that's your problem.
Good for you, but what most forget, if say you make one of them crappy harris poles and it breaks and does damage to property or say a parked car you are not covered Fact, Have an accident in your van with your home made system and you haven't had it fitted properly your brown bread. A neighbour of mine is a loss adjuster he told me he will look at all loop holes not pay a claim. When I set my Business up he gave me very good advice that is why I brought ionics systems because they are sledge tested and crash test to thatcham requirements. He also said if i did a modification to my van( Having a System fitted is), and its not fitted by a recognised trader IE pure freedom, ionics, they may well not pay out. I will carry on with my fitted system you carry on with your home made stuff.  As for lack of confidence  and competence I dont think so, its not my fault you probably didn't have the pound notes and had to make your own, price right and grow your business and you too can afford one. Regards

Oh for common sence sake I wish people like you would get off your high horse and see sence.
Not one of person has said anything bad against a "professionally fitted" system
Most of us DIYers are not stupid. We make sure we fit our systems safely.
This argument you are putting forward is straight out of a certain top of the range system producers catalogue. I remember them trying to get kite marked poles on theirs only.
Check the HSE details and I bet, so long as our systems comply with HSE regs it don't matter who builds it.
David
Good Honest Service

Frankybadboy

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 09:49:29 pm »
here here well said old chum, ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, 11:41:06 pm »
/

Hi Tim

T loks are fixed in place with huge spreader plates, chemically bonded and bolted in place.

Ron Rogers

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2012, 02:21:10 am »

Good for you, but what most forget, if say you make one of them crappy harris poles and it breaks and does damage to property or say a parked car you are not covered Fact
I cant see why your not covered.

Steve_c

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2012, 06:16:24 am »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  ;D

James Leet

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2012, 10:22:11 am »

Oh for common sence sake I wish people like you would get off your high horse and see sence.
Not one of person has said anything bad against a "professionally fitted" system
Most of us DIYers are not stupid. We make sure we fit our systems safely.
This argument you are putting forward is straight out of a certain top of the range system producers catalogue. I remember them trying to get kite marked poles on theirs only.
Check the HSE details and I bet, so long as our systems comply with HSE regs it don't matter who builds it.
David

Blind to the Facts.

It is all Rather Sad that they swallow the sales pitch as gospel.

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2012, 02:10:55 pm »
could someone please tell me what a system is . oh yes ive just remembered its a water tank and pump in the back of my van . think it took me half an hour to put in . just looked on a well known suppliers website and every custy that spends 5 k on a fitted system gets 7 pairs of socks with the days of the week on . plus an homer simpson tie

Spruce

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2012, 09:52:11 pm »
/

Hi Tim

T loks are fixed in place with huge spreader plates, chemically bonded and bolted in place.

Interesting, so not secured to the chassis then
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

wpclean

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2012, 10:09:38 pm »
Personally speaking I had a 650 ltr system fitted professionally  because of the safety.

I value my life, and that of other road users, so the extra expense is worth it.

I cringe when I read posts on here about saving money using straps to hold down half tonne unstable loads   ::)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2012, 11:40:52 pm »
/

Hi Tim

Interesting, so not secured to the chassis then

No, I found that interesting as well. Considering the 1000l model went through the crash test I'd say the van floor is strong enough. Unlike a lot of other window cleaners used to say (including me!)

Picture of plate here :

http://tinyurl.com/8q86597