This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

David Salkeld

DIY is better
« on: September 27, 2012, 07:52:01 pm »
Hi folks,

Been thinking......
I have a DIY Trailer system.  I think it is better to have your own designed system as if something fails you can fix it quickly.
If you have a commercial system and it goes wrong you're in the hands of the manufacturer. Possibly waiting to get back up and running.

What are your thoughts?
David
Good Honest Service

Fin Clearview

Re: DIY is better
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:03:01 pm »
Although I've only been wfp for a short time and do not know the benefits of a fitted system I do know my DIY set up, and have all the spares I need should something let me down. Actually enjoying getting to know my own set up and not relying on some company to bail me out, why bother and if you are really stuck I've found this forum a top bail out so far.

Erithwc

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 08:05:27 pm »
Diy is good for the fixing side of things but the way i see it is if i had employees working the vans for me i would want a professionally fitted tank because if i fitted the tank and it hurt a member of staff in a accident i would be the one getting the blame ( worst case the tank comes loose someone dies and i would be up for man slaughter )

If i had a professional fitted tank it would nolonger be my fault as i have taken steps to have the tank fitted by a professional thrid party

Paul

concept

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:07:16 pm »
Why are you n the hands of the manufacturer?

With an ionics system, I can see possibly why, but from what I see, the others seem to use off the shelf components and connectors, just the cages differ, and now some tanks.

The pump and controller are the same as we can all buy, as are taps, connectors etc.

David Salkeld

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:44:52 pm »
Diy is good for the fixing side of things but the way i see it is if i had employees working the vans for me i would want a professionally fitted tank because if i fitted the tank and it hurt a member of staff in a accident i would be the one getting the blame ( worst case the tank comes loose someone dies and i would be up for man slaughter )

If i had a professional fitted tank it would nolonger be my fault as i have taken steps to have the tank fitted by a professional thrid party

Paul

Yes, I agree.  If I did a 2 man van setup with a 500- 650ltr tank I would have the tank fitted professionally.
Good Honest Service

Steve_c

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 08:55:12 pm »
Buy a ionics system and do a weekly back wash, and a daily salt wash, and it wont need fixing.
Why make something that is properly crap and breaks down on a regular basis?  you are already on about fixing it and you haven't built it yet. Buy a Manufactured system and look after it doesn't have to be ionics.

H2GoKent

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 09:21:17 pm »
DIY is fine. My diy works perfectly thank you. and guess what it cleans windows just like a bought system.....amazing! Has done for the last 9 years.
If you want to shell out a lot more money because you lack the competence and confidence then that's your problem.
As long as you do it properly diy is fine.
A manager is generally someone who has been promoted to the position by someone else who didn't see them as a threat.
Hence all people are promoted to the level of their incompetence

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 09:25:58 pm »
Hi,

Please can anyone tell me how PureFreedom and Brodex secure their tanks to the floor of the van. Do they secure these through the chassis or on spreader plates under the floor.

Thanks

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Fin Clearview

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:40:22 pm »
Other than looking nice can someone tell me why a manufactured system is better than DIY when ultimately they both do the same thing?

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:53 pm »
I fail to see how a system can break down , all it is is a big box of water going to a hose going to a pump that is simply wired to a flow controller then another bit of hose going to a di vessel and then to a hose reel , AND THEN YOU STICK A POLE ON THE END !!!!!

Come on guys , it aint rocket science , i am diy  and know every bit of my system inside out , i never get a problem , due to the fact that its my baby and not ionics , saying that i bet i could have any suppliers system put in my van and should a prob arise would have it sorted in a shot !

The beauty of diy , simple and it cleans as good as any 5k system (FACT)

If i could change any part of my system it would be a move to a crash tested and big boy mounted tank and thats it , the rest of the pro gubbins is  pants !

Rich    
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

R.C Property

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 09:50:59 pm »
DIY is fine. My diy works perfectly thank you. and guess what it cleans windows just like a bought system.....amazing! Has done for the last 9 years.
If you want to shell out a lot more money because you lack the competence and confidence then that's your problem.
As long as you do it properly diy is fine.

well said! i have to agree with this. diy is great you can fit in into any size and shape to suit your needs, not like the brought ones that you have to have a big van for due tho the weight of them!

Mike #1

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 09:53:50 pm »
Water tank and a pump/battery box in the the back of a pick up truck , very straight forward do not see the point of dpending thousands of pounds insyead of hundreds, Mike

R.C Property

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 09:57:03 pm »
Why are you n the hands of the manufacturer?

With an ionics system, I can see possibly why, but from what I see, the others seem to use off the shelf components and connectors, just the cages differ, and now some tanks.

The pump and controller are the same as we can all buy, as are taps, connectors etc.

if you change or mess about with the systems you could voild any warranty you get with it, so that means you need to go back to them to get things sorted?? maybe??

R.C Property

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 09:59:26 pm »
my diy system only cost £2500 and that includes buying the van, setting it up for 2 people with seperate pumps for wfp and set up for full trad gear for two. plus all poles etc.

SPE

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 10:00:44 pm »
Other than looking nice can someone tell me why a manufactured system is better than DIY when ultimately they both do the same thing?
apart from a proffessionally fitted frame there is no difference.
Mine is diy, has been for 7 years. A pump will wear out on a diy or manufactured system, same goes for hose reels, connectors etc.
A simple diy system will cost you a lot less. Simple is definately the way to go = pure water in a tank and a pump and reel powered by a battery, any thing else is bells and whistles.
The only things to fail, maybe a fuse or a hose connector are all readily available everywhere.
Simon

Fin Clearview

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 10:29:06 pm »
apart from a proffessionally fitted frame there is no difference.
Mine is diy, has been for 7 years. A pump will wear out on a diy or manufactured system, same goes for hose reels, connectors etc.
A simple diy system will cost you a lot less. Simple is definately the way to go = pure water in a tank and a pump and reel powered by a battery, any thing else is bells and whistles.
The only things to fail, maybe a fuse or a hose connector are all readily available everywhere.
Simon

I agree Simon, I got onto wfp by a fellow wc who has had his DIY system 5 years or so. I remember his first comment on DIY vs fitted - 'why pay more'.

LWC

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 10:49:21 pm »
Make the water pure...get it to the windows...simple

David Salkeld

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 11:03:25 pm »
A few years ago when I first started on here and went WFP some one quoted.......

KISS.........
Keep It Simple Stupid    ;)

I've always kept that in mind when DIY WFP  ;)

David
Good Honest Service

James Leet

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 12:09:50 am »
Many can Thanks DIY WFP MATT ( google him as he is banned from here ) for stepping up and pushing the idea many years ago

mark dew

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 01:20:53 am »
Many can Thanks DIY WFP MATT ( google him as he is banned from here ) for stepping up and pushing the idea many years ago

yeah i agree his diy site was where i got my 1st proper understanding of a wfp setup.  He used to take loads of stick back when manufacturers used to post on here.