This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Xtremely Clean

Re: customers smoking
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 06:34:16 pm »
I can't remember the last time a client smoked in my presence, so it's not a problem.

Making an issue of it could well be a problem.

I would think carefully before telling someone what they can or can't do in their own home, or you could have a short career in carpet cleaning.
Thanks Steve, if that's the case then im worrying about nothing  :)
Rob Clarke

AuRavelling79

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 10:00:55 pm »
Just set out your stall.

Nicely tell them you have a no-smoking policy where you or your staff do not work if people are smoking in the rooms in which they are working.

It's not about telling people what to do in their own home it's about mutual respect.

Anyone who inflicts their smoking on a non-smoking visitor to their home is bad enough; anyone who insists on smoking when a non-smoker is working in their home isn't worth further consideration as a customer.

My daughter uses the above policy as a self employed hairdresser and I use it when cleaning the insides of peoples homes.

99% are respectful anyway - the "home is my castle I'll do what I like" merchants are just selfish and disrespectful. Why would you inflict your death dealing addiction on someone else?   ??? 
It's a game of three halves!

Xtremely Clean

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 11:40:22 pm »
Just set out your stall.

Nicely tell them you have a no-smoking policy where you or your staff do not work if people are smoking in the rooms in which they are working.

It's not about telling people what to do in their own home it's about mutual respect.

Anyone who inflicts their smoking on a non-smoking visitor to their home is bad enough; anyone who insists on smoking when a non-smoker is working in their home isn't worth further consideration as a customer.

My daughter uses the above policy as a self employed hairdresser and I use it when cleaning the insides of peoples homes.

99% are respectful anyway - the "home is my castle I'll do what I like" merchants are just selfish and disrespectful. Why would you inflict your death dealing addiction on someone else?   ??? 
Nicely put gold, thank you for your constructive input ;D
Rob Clarke

wynne jones

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 11:49:14 pm »
What a bunch of girls!.

If someone comes in my house and they said that I would say no problem mate you had better fk off then.  :D
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 12:01:18 am »
It would suit me fine.
I have walked from a job where the smoke poured from the front door as the cust opened it.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

wynne jones

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 12:08:55 am »
It would suit me fine.
I have walked from a job where the smoke poured from the front door as the cust opened it.

Well it's your prerogative but I think people are a bit precious these days. You would never have had that choice a few years ago if you worked in a bar or wanted to frequent many public places.

As for the health risk, smoking one cigarette is the equivelnt risk of death to cycling a mile on british roads. Damn those statistics LOL!

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 12:12:45 am »
You had a choice whether you worked in a bar or not and knew before hand about the smoke.
I stopped in 1984 and now smoke makes me feel ill.

wynne jones

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 12:21:11 am »
You had a choice whether you worked in a bar or not and knew before hand about the smoke.
I stopped in 1984 and now smoke makes me feel ill.

You are absolutely right. This is one of the main benefits of being self employed. Personaly it wouldn't bother me, if it did I'd just put my respirator on. In fact I am more worried when they leave Jeremy Kyle on the tele. It's the main reason I got a noisy truckmount.  :D

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 12:39:22 am »
Its only a bit of smoke ya big poofs!!  :-*

*Hector*

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 05:59:59 am »

Why would you inflict your death dealing addiction on someone else?   ??? 

Because I don't like people......  ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 08:57:00 am »
I suspect Carpetdawg smokes- otherwise he would know how much it stinks.

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 01:25:41 pm »
OMG I think it's plainly obvious who's been brought up in the nanny state of it's always someone elses fault.
This is turning into a game of who was brought up during the period of
'everyone's a winner - no such thing as losing'
'conkers are banned unless you wear eye protectors and gloves'
'you mustn't climb a tree unless you wear arrest gear, hard hat and have a team of paramedics within 10 feet.'
You must be doing something drastically wrong is you allow customers to be within 5 feet of where you are working never mind the smoking aspect. In the horrible situation where ou might inhale some second hand smoke over the couple of hours you are in a property I doubt it will amount to anymore than having smoked a full woodbine over a week, and anyway we deal on a daily basis with the crap that is in soft furnishings, never mind some of the chemicals we have to use to clean some of these deathtraps.... and you're worried about a cigerette.
You stand more chance of being killed on route to the premises than dying from someones habit. I'm not saying it's good or right but get a sense of perspective here.  

derek west

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 03:25:33 pm »
you can argue the to55 all you want guys, each to there own but lets look at it from a different angle.

2 identical companies, but with one difference, company A advertise that they are a non smoking company. as a non smoker myself i would choose the non smoking company, 1) because i wouldn't have to smell there smoke from there van (and i can do, in fact i can smell smoke at traffic lights from the person in front)  2) because without all them fAg breaks they will be more productive. and 3) smokers really are a smelly lot, seriously guys, not just smoke but real stagnant smelly disgusting vomitty type smell, you just don't realise it, when someone says about smelling like an ashtray, they mean, smelling like an ashtray, and not a fresh ashtray either. them ashtray smells you get when you empty a full one first thing in the morning type smell. oh and 4) the smoking company would have to charge more to fund there habit. not cheap you know.

so i would say clarkey, if you put on your literature that you are a non smoking company, you will never have to ask people not to smoke, and you may lose one or 2 customers because of it but i would guess you'll gain more than you lose. might even try it myself. after all, i am a non smoker.

Tony Rowley

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 03:44:23 pm »
you can argue the to55 all you want guys, each to there own but lets look at it from a different angle.

2 identical companies, but with one difference, company A advertise that they are a non smoking company. as a non smoker myself i would choose the non smoking company, 1) because i wouldn't have to smell there smoke from there van (and i can do, in fact i can smell smoke at traffic lights from the person in front)  2) because without all them f*g breaks they will be more productive. and 3) smokers really are a smelly lot, seriously guys, not just smoke but real stagnant smelly disgusting vomitty type smell, you just don't realise it, when someone says about smelling like an ashtray, they mean, smelling like an ashtray, and not a fresh ashtray either. them ashtray smells you get when you empty a full one first thing in the morning type smell. oh and 4) the smoking company would have to charge more to fund there habit. not cheap you know.

so i would say clarkey, if you put on your literature that you are a non smoking company, you will never have to ask people not to smoke, and you may lose one or 2 customers because of it but i would guess you'll gain more than you lose. might even try it myself. after all, i am a non smoker.

The ones that have just given up are always the worst!!!!!!!! ;D

Billy Russell

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 04:18:47 pm »

2 identical companies, but with one difference, company A advertise that they are a non smoking company. as a non smoker myself i would choose the non smoking company, 1) because i wouldn't have to smell there smoke from there van (and i can do, in fact i can smell smoke at traffic lights from the person in front)  2) because without all them f*g breaks they will be more productive. and 3) smokers really are a smelly lot, seriously guys, not just smoke but real stagnant smelly disgusting vomitty type smell, you just don't realise it, when someone says about smelling like an ashtray, they mean, smelling like an ashtray, and not a fresh ashtray either. them ashtray smells you get when you empty a full one first thing in the morning type smell. oh and 4) the smoking company would have to charge more to fund there habit. not cheap you know.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Hilton

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 04:31:16 pm »
Is there any evidence that passive smoking has ever killed anyone ?

Its not very nice and as an ardent non-smoker who has never smoked I hate being around those that do.But mainly because it makes you stink and there's not a lot worse than some elses stale smoke on your clothes and skin,

But asking someone in their own home to stop when you are around is a liberty after all it ain't going to kill you.

Neil Jones

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 05:23:57 pm »
I only work in smokers homes if they smoke Malborough Lights, as I consider these upper class smokers. I refuse to work for anyone is they smoke super kings or drink full fat milk in their tea.

wynne jones

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 06:30:07 pm »
I like to go into a house that have plug in air fresheners in every socket, motion sensor ones on the mantle piece and turn them all off.

Then I say you won't need those when I'm finished, you will only smell fresh air. Apart from the initial whiff of bullpoop of course.

derek west

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2012, 06:36:56 pm »

;D ;D ;D

AJB

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2012, 06:42:23 pm »
The absolute s*it that plug in air fresheners pump out
will kill you much quicker than so called passive smoking
ever could. Some of those fresheners have over 3000
chemicals in them many of which are carcenogenic.
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!