This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mgba_78

New WFP set up and dripping from van ports
« on: August 18, 2012, 09:37:58 am »
Hi

Been WFP for 3 weeks now and having good and bad days LOL

Anyway, over this last week the ports on the back of the van leak.
We have 4 external ports, water in, waste water out and 1 for each hose reel to connect to.

Now the two hose reel connectors always drip  :(
Since i filled up Thursday night i have probably lost 100litres of water in 48 hours.

How do i stop this? Not only having to refill to top up van for Monday i have a dirty great big puddle on my drive?

Andy
Oooooo that is shiny!!

Dean Taberner

Re: New WFP set up and dripping from van ports
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:04:56 am »
Have you tried drinking?

That's usually a short term fix for most problems.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

gto

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:07:40 am »
mine did the same, just put a shutoff tap on you tank.
when you finish for the day turn off the tap.

colin purewater

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 11:58:20 am »
Have you tried drinking?

That's usually a short term fix for most problems.
                  :)

I had same prob mate, I got a male fitting and filled it
With silicone on the back the pluged it in when I took the
Hose connection out, stopped the dripping,
I now have done away with my van port due to pipes
Freezing in winter outside of van
keep it simple

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 03:37:21 pm »
The problem usually comes down to one simple fact. Most hoselock connectors are made for one particular hose (ID and OD of hose important, hose that they usually sell as well) Even then it's likely that they drip as hose lock style connectors are just not great. The bright orange ones with black hose are actually pretty decent, as I've got two of them on a water meter right before the pre-filters, doesn't leak. Even at my parents place where they have much higher pressure it still doesn't leak. But they do leak if any different hose then the black rubbery hose is used. Ionics use them on their systems as well. The new metal hoseloc connectors are pretty good too, as apparently they have been designed to cope with different types of hoses. I've used them on a hot system hose reel before and the hose didn't come off nor did they leak. Due to their design they don't work on a van port though.

Another factor is that you need to change the O rings if they wear, as the system is new that's likely not the problem. O rings on male connectors (both sides). On water stop connectors there is usually also a small o ring on the back of the connector, which actually shuts the water off. All of these need to be renewed periodically, even if they visually look fine.

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 11:00:57 am »
Hozelok also appear to need a little pressure for them to seal. Once you switch you pump off and the pressure is released then unfortunately those fittings do leak.

Your pump has a non return valve in it, but it works the other way to prevent prssure releasing back though the pump. The spring on this valve is weak, but does stop the pump becoming a 'straight through.' I have 2 Shurflo pumps on my van and the second pump leaks water more than the first, but they are both bad when the tank is full.

The solution as has been advised is to put a stop cock on the tank outlet.

We also have a hoselok fitting that is filled with Silicone adhesive to prevent this dripping as has another poster, but so don't use Hozelok stops on 2 of our vans. The 3rd van has the orange Hozelok stop valve and that appears to be fine with no drips so far.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)