This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tony Edwards

Whats the best patio weed killer
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:07:52 am »

Doing a patio and driveway clean next week

Whats the best/ most effective weed killer to use before I jet wash it ?

I dont want the customer calling me in a few weeks saying the weeds are regrowing

Thanks

Rob_Mac

Re: Whats the best patio weed killer
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 05:37:10 pm »
Tony

If you apply weedkiller and then pressure wash it all off then the weeds are going to come back because you have gotten rid of all the weedkiller and left a bare surface for regrowth.

I f you pressure wash and then apply weedkiller I would say you have a fighting chance. Offer no guarantee on weeds staying away - it will come back and bite you in the round region behind you!!!!

The weather seems just about perfect for lots of things to grow at the moment - don't create a rod for your own back!!!!!

Rob ;D

Alan McTernan

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 06:20:03 pm »
Tony,

You want to apply the weedkiller 10-14 days before you do the cleaning work as it's the leaves that absorb the weedkiller.
When you turn up to clean they should all be withered and dead!
We use Gallop which is a commercial version of roundup.
But have you got a sprayers licence?

Cheers
Alan

Kenny83

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 07:45:33 pm »
I was talking to some green keepers the other day who had just weedkilled all the ivy, grass, nettles, the lot, I asked what they used and they said clinic ace, it's ready availible over the counter or via ebay, (no licence required to buy it) and is perfect for drives/paths as it is a non selective killer so kills grass aswell, alot of weedkillers aviible are selective and cause no harm to grass which is no good for drives/paths, like alan said, apply the weekiller a few days before to allow it to get in the system and kill from the root up, even if the plans dont look dead they will be and wont grow back..... although... it will not kill seeds so new weeds will grow soon enough, you must tell the customer this aswell... I always say you cant give a guarentee against ife forming.
heres a link to some clinic ace on google shopping...

http://www.google.co.uk/#q=clinic+ace+weed+killer&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=FZEuULG1Hor80QW-lYHgDA&sqi=2&ved=0CD4Q_AUoBQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=8afe80b51e37f224&biw=1366&bih=599
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

mike roberts

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:42:42 pm »
I was talking to some green keepers the other day who had just weedkilled all the ivy, grass, nettles, the lot, I asked what they used and they said clinic ace, it's ready availible over the counter or via ebay, (no licence required to buy it) and is perfect for drives/paths as it is a non selective killer so kills grass aswell, alot of weedkillers aviible are selective and cause no harm to grass which is no good for drives/paths, like alan said, apply the weekiller a few days before to allow it to get in the system and kill from the root up, even if the plans dont look dead they will be and wont grow back..... although... it will not kill seeds so new weeds will grow soon enough, you must tell the customer this aswell... I always say you cant give a guarentee against ife forming.

http://www.google.co.uk/#q=clinic+ace+weed+killer&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=FZEuULG1Hor80QW-lYHgDA&sqi=2&ved=0CD4Q_AUoBQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=8afe80b51e37f224&biw=1366&bih=599

Lee the green keepers you spoke to are totally wrong. That product is an agricultual pesticide you should be asked for licence - most sellers do not care as you will be liable if problem occurs. Check out the ebay listing (at the very bottom) refers to Ministry code follow that thro as a contractor you need licence (certificate of competence) - they are proposing tightening controls for selling this year which will stop muppets on ebay.
This subject really narks me as lots of guys use these products without a clue.
 Problem is any muppet can pressure wash supposedly buy the gear and think thats that (which we know is not the case) then they start to use chems ... hypo for instance clueless forget any COSHH implications ... now its industrial grade pesticides and we wonder why some refer to our profession as pikeys

Kenny83

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 10:48:31 pm »

Lee the green keepers you spoke to are totally wrong. That product is an agricultual pesticide you should be asked for licence - most sellers do not care as you will be liable if problem occurs. Check out the ebay listing (at the very bottom) refers to Ministry code follow that thro as a contractor you need licence (certificate of competence) - they are proposing tightening controls for selling this year which will stop muppets on ebay.
This subject really narks me as lots of guys use these products without a clue.
 Problem is any muppet can pressure wash supposedly buy the gear and think thats that (which we know is not the case) then they start to use chems ... hypo for instance clueless forget any COSHH implications ... now its industrial grade pesticides and we wonder why some refer to our profession as pikeys

I asked them did you need a licence and they just said no, you can get it off ebay etc, they even sell this stuff in the local DIY shop by me, I understand how this can nark you off as you have a paid for licence etc and then you see the chems on ebay etc for anyone to buy, i would feel the same, how can they sell this stuff and get away with it?
Its making a mockery of any PAT (if thats the right licence?) course and there for will have a knock on effect of people not bothering to sit the course if it's so easily availible, i think i would have words with maybe the governing body over the licences....
I here you mate and undestand, I feel the same when i quote for jobs and the customers raise their eyebrows sometimes saygin, we got it done last year for.... I say, did he have insurance? did he have a £4000 washer and £700 surface cleaner? does he even pay taxes?? usualy the answer is 'no, he turned up with an electric Karcher, plugged it in to our electric and speny 8 hours cleaning, something that I could do in 2.
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

Matt Gibson

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 09:32:59 am »
I love quotes like that  ;D

Gray1

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 02:11:59 pm »
Hi Tony, I'd of thought that Wash, Then weedkill, Followed by Sand and Sealer. Work that around the weather! I take it that you quoted extra for re-sanding and sealing?
The choice of weedkiller depends on what type of weeds are growing there, read the lable.
Gray1

Alan McTernan

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 05:31:52 pm »
I was under the impression that if you charge to spray weedkiller you need a licence (not to buy it)!!!!

Cheers
Alan

mike roberts

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 06:48:39 pm »
I was under the impression that if you charge to spray weedkiller you need a licence (not to buy it)!!!!

Cheers
Alan
Strange statement mate - NO point buying it if you havent got licence to spray it!!   ;D ;D

Have a look at that ebay item Lee posted, disclaimer at the bottom of the item
'Please be aware that by proceeding you are purchasing a professional pesticide product. You must ensure the end user of these products complies with the DEFRA/HSE Code for the Safe use of Pesticides.' ........ I think someone is covering their ass.

If you are a contractor spraying weed killer you need a licence..... most dont as most are ****ing Wcs who are generally clueless  (Give or take the odd few - my disclaimer) If they are not looking to start carpet cleaning they are looking at pressure washing - Have to laugh big debate in WC section at mo ref to a conservatory cleaner 'magiccrap' or something 5 pages --- looking at the the after pics results look sh*te
- If thats the standard they clean to no wonder we do so many  ;D

Tony Edwards

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 08:19:25 pm »

Cheers
Alan
Strange statement mate - NO point buying it if you havent got licence to spray it!!   ;D ;D

Have a look at that ebay item Lee posted, disclaimer at the bottom of the item
'Please be aware that by proceeding you are purchasing a professional pesticide product. You must ensure the end user of these products complies with the DEFRA/HSE Code for the Safe use of Pesticides.' ........ I think someone is covering their ass.

If you are a contractor spraying weed killer you need a licence..... most dont as most are ****ing Wcs who are generally clueless  (Give or take the odd few - my disclaimer) If they are not looking to start carpet cleaning they are looking at pressure washing - Have to laugh big debate in WC section at mo ref to a conservatory cleaner 'magiccrap' or something 5 pages --- looking at the the after pics results look sh*te
- If thats the standard they clean to no wonder we do so many  ;D

Miaow !!

Ged

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 09:47:48 pm »
you can buy roundup (glyphosate) a a householder and use it tio your hearts content. it is really safe to use and pet/ child safe when dry, does not persist in the environment but is poisonous to fish. if you use the exact same stuff as part of your business you have to cough up 400 squid to get your ticket. boll*** to that get the customer to spray the weeds. elf and safety gone mad? seriously i can see that the use of pesticides needs to be controlled as not all as safe as roundup.

rb4no

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 10:02:30 pm »
hi there i'm about to sign up to doing a course, if your applying weed killer and your doing it for money or it formulates a service you provide for money (power washing included) then you have to take the two part course in every instance. As for type of weed killers there are two types we can use, contact and residual. see below net net you can get a weed killer that will lay dormant in the ground and work for upto a year. I had this done on a property by a gardener and i didn't have a weed for over six months, then once the substance degraded bang they just came back all at the same time! Incredible stuff and it really works but is very expensive, a small bottle that'll do about 350 metres costs over 80 quid! you could offer a guarantee that they'll have no weeds for six or more months, someone on the forum already does this!

Contact weed killers only kill the weeds they are sprayed onto.  Although sprayed weeds will die, new weeds can grow back immediately afterwards. Many contact weed killers contain the chemical glyphosate and include well known brands like Roundup Pro Biactive and Asteroid.

Residual weed killers give longer lasting weed control by leaving a chemical residue in the soil or substrate which continues to kill weeds after application for a number of months. The more persistent products may only need one timely application per year. 

Mixing a residual weed killer with a contact weed killer can give impressive results as the contact weed killer gives rapid knock-down of weeds, whilst the residual weed killer gives persistency of control.

dsclean

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 10:26:27 pm »
I used to work for a firm weed-spraying and you must have your nptc card with the applications you pass far as i know.
 All different tests i had to do if you're using a back pack or boom sprayer ect.. So you need a licence for the more commercial products but im not sure even what the deal is if your to buy the domestic ones and use them in your business ,then theres insurance if the drift on some commercial product was to cause damage to gardens or plants . I can remember i did not enjoy the course i know that much

Griffus

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 11:22:00 pm »
hi there i'm about to sign up to doing a course, if your applying weed killer and your doing it for money or it formulates a service you provide for money (power washing included) then you have to take the two part course in every instance. As for type of weed killers there are two types we can use, contact and residual. see below net net you can get a weed killer that will lay dormant in the ground and work for upto a year. I had this done on a property by a gardener and i didn't have a weed for over six months, then once the substance degraded bang they just came back all at the same time! Incredible stuff and it really works but is very expensive, a small bottle that'll do about 350 metres costs over 80 quid! you could offer a guarantee that they'll have no weeds for six or more months, someone on the forum already does this!

Contact weed killers only kill the weeds they are sprayed onto.  Although sprayed weeds will die, new weeds can grow back immediately afterwards. Many contact weed killers contain the chemical glyphosate and include well known brands like Roundup Pro Biactive and Asteroid.

Residual weed killers give longer lasting weed control by leaving a chemical residue in the soil or substrate which continues to kill weeds after application for a number of months. The more persistent products may only need one timely application per year. 

Mixing a residual weed killer with a contact weed killer can give impressive results as the contact weed killer gives rapid knock-down of weeds, whilst the residual weed killer gives persistency of control.

A lot of suppliers do this for you before you buy. They'll mix Glyphosate (hazardous - R51/53 - Toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment.) with diflufenican (non-hazardous).

jwplasterers

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 09:04:46 pm »
Get some hypoclorite on the weeds dead in a couple of days.