This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian101

Been offered a job
« on: August 15, 2012, 07:29:03 pm »
Hmmmm dilema on my hands been offered a job by an old boss out of the blue back running a main dealer sales department on a good package so can sell up pay loan off and have 5k in pocket but in 5 years time I would have a big window business so not sure what to do ??
Anyone ever packed in for a “proper” job only to come back to the windows ?

elite mike

Re: Been offered a job
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 07:32:50 pm »
is the job in barnstable ian ?

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 07:42:21 pm »

Time and again ;D

Just glad my 'final' job was window cleaning

Ian101

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:42:23 pm »
No North Wales

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 07:48:11 pm »
Ian, i dont know why you left there but there was obviously a reason for it.

Personally i couldnt go back to employed work now, the thought makes me shudder.

Think long and hard before you make your mind up though mate as i know you have put a great deal into getting where you are now
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

Halfadaylee

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:49:21 pm »
No North Wales

Mate your giving up the freedom to answer to the dp. Yes its flattering and yes paid leave is nice, but you will always be making them rich not you.
Tough call and would not blame you.
Art

elite mike

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:49:54 pm »
No North Wales

sorry i was in barnstable on the  weekend and  seen  a h2o wc vanand  thought it might be you  :)

also i seen that vauxhall had a upgraded new showroom with renualt .

i would never go back to working for anyone again BTW.

but do what you think is  best for you  :)

regards

mike

Frankybadboy

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 07:56:56 pm »
No North Wales

sorry i was in barnstable on the  weekend and  seen  a h2o wc vanand  thought it might be you  :)

regards

mike
nobody have you anyway mike,your over the hill ;D ;D

richywilts

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 07:57:55 pm »
ian if u sell up id be very interested in your work as i know you have refined it well
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

elite mike

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 08:00:58 pm »
No North Wales

regards

mike
nobody have you anyway mike,your over the hill ;D ;D

many a good tune played on an old fiddle franky  :P ;D

robertphil

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 08:11:10 pm »
3 yrs from now u could be sitting at home running your empire ,no physical effort , coasting along for the rest of your days

paul marshall

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 08:15:02 pm »
last few weeks i think i have thought of packing it all in every day , but its only a thought , this time next year we will all be millionaires ,hang on in there  ;D ;D
the more flyers i post , the luckier i seem to get ...

g.brookes

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 08:40:50 pm »
i would disagree with robertphil.  i imagine having multiple vans out on the road would be extremely stressful and you could end up working more hours than all of your staff.
all depends on individual circumstances.  do you think you'll be sick of window cleanig in 20 years time when its too late? do you want holiday pay, sick pay?  do you want a contributory pensions, or do you want the benefits of self employed?  entirely up to you

TomCrowther

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 08:57:57 pm »
Or, franhise out what you now have and take two up front franchise fees followed by 20% every month?

davids3511

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 09:10:17 pm »
Or, franhise out what you now have and take two up front franchise fees followed by 20% every month?
Where have I heard this before......

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 09:52:53 pm »
Hmmmm dilema on my hands been offered a job by an old boss out of the blue back running a main dealer sales department on a good package so can sell up pay loan off and have 5k in pocket but in 5 years time I would have a big window business so not sure what to do ??

A Sales Managers position in the car industry as the country goes deeper into 'recession'. The chasing of targets that start anew every month and the achievements of this year become the building blocks of the target for next year + 10%. Have a bad month and the Dealer Principal is over you like a rash 'to make it up'. And you can't give cars away to achieve your sales unit targets because they are linked to a profit per unit target which you are paid a commission on.

Work 7 days a week with one day off during the week and alternate Sunday's if you are lucky - Sales Managers at Vardy's were lucky to get one off a month.

Work hours from 8.30 to 7.00 weekdays and 6.00 on Saturday. Summer - I think we need to stay open until 8.00. "All we are asking is another 3 measly hours a week from each of you - that's all."  And remember you have signed this document that the max 48 hour week doesn't apply to you.

Oh, in your absence on your day off, we have arranged for you to hand over this car to this customer at 11.00 next Wednesday - which always happens on your day off so you have to come into the dealership - and we expect you to wear corporate clothing.

Oh hang on - we give you a company car, but if the workshop loan it out for a service customer, you can use what you can find that has just been traded in - drive it home on trade plates at 55 MPH. Oh, and when you car finally is returned, the fuel in it was used by the customer and not replaced - out of pocket again.

Now my target is to achieve a monthly wage I can live on - health issues considered. I can start at 9 or 10 and not work an afternoon if I don't want to.  occassional work a Saturday, but that's my choice.
I drive a company van - yes its mine, but that's fine.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

TomCrowther

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 09:57:30 pm »
I don't know David but I am very repetitive...
But my Mrs has just ordered a new car, the sales guy offered to sell the car at "cost" plus interest free credit over three years taking her Fiesta in px at £500 over book price. she duly sings up and pays a deposit. He rings her the next day saying the interest free credit has stopped, they can't offer that but they will reduce the price of the car down, do the loan at 2.9% apr and keep the repayments the same.
I think the Monday morning sales meetings will not be much fun in the car sales game.

Halfadaylee

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 10:01:28 pm »

A Sales Managers position in the car industry as the country goes deeper into 'recession'. The chasing of targets that start anew every month and the achievements of this year become the building blocks of the target for next year + 10%. Have a bad month and the Dealer Principal is over you like a rash 'to make it up'. And you can't give cars away to achieve your sales unit targets because they are linked to a profit per unit target which you are paid a commission on.

Work 7 days a week with one day off during the week and alternate Sunday's if you are lucky - Sales Managers at Vardy's were lucky to get one off a month.

Work hours from 8.30 to 7.00 weekdays and 6.00 on Saturday. Summer - I think we need to stay open until 8.00. "All we are asking is another 3 measly hours a week from each of you - that's all."  And remember you have signed this document that the max 48 hour week doesn't apply to you.

Oh, in your absence on your day off, we have arranged for you to hand over this car to this customer at 11.00 next Wednesday - which always happens on your day off so you have to come into the dealership - and we expect you to wear corporate clothing.

Oh hang on - we give you a company car, but if the workshop loan it out for a service customer, you can use what you can find that has just been traded in - drive it home on trade plates at 55 MPH. Oh, and when you car finally is returned, the fuel in it was used by the customer and not replaced - out of pocket again.

Now my target is to achieve a monthly wage I can live on - health issues considered. I can start at 9 or 10 and not work an afternoon if I don't want to.  occassional work a Saturday, but that's my choice.
I drive a company van - yes its mine, but that's fine.

There is your answer.
As usual good post spurce

supernova77

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 10:12:26 pm »

Sit down, write down all the pros and cons of both window cleaning and the job offer, take the list with you wherever you go and keep looking at it,  think about it for a few days and then decide!

Andy

AuRavelling79

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 10:37:03 pm »
I have been a salesman, a sales executive (whatever that is) and a sales director.

I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever - did I say ever? - go back to being employed, especially in sales.
It's a game of three halves!