This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jack Judd

The National Clean is Killing our Business
« on: August 14, 2012, 10:33:31 pm »
New to the forum, but needed a platform to voice an opinion.  I run a small and so far successful window cleaning business.  I have a mix of domestic customers and commercial customers.  I have worked very hard to win commercial customers through hard work, good prospecting, through letters, phone calls and arranged meetings.  I turn up and quote for the work or tender for the business and then myself or one of my team will fulfil the agreed work.  I have also worked very hard at maintaining a reasonable profit margin on my work. 

Well let it be known that these large companies that are providing the so called national clean to commercial contracts are creating an environment where no of us will be earning any money in 10 years.  They are no different to the fat cat bankers and I blame them and the small minded people that are prepared to work for peanuts in order to get a commercial contract for destroying the hard work of the individual local companies.

My Window Cleaning Company has been cleaning one restaurant of an Italian chain based in Malvern for 3 years.  A lot of windows and we had a good working relationship. I turn up to complete the job this Monday find that there is another window cleaning company parked outside.  I find out that they have cleaned the windows inside and out.  Without being told the chain of restaurants is trailing a nationwide contract clean. 

ped off that I cut the family holiday short to complete the weekly clean was bad enough, but then to find out that the fats cats that got the national contract, and no company is bigger enough to clean all the windows in the UK, so what do they do, subcontract to another company, who then subcontracts again to a one man show who is prepared to work for nothing to get the job done and be part of the commercial contract world. 

Margins are squeezed as the fat cats that won the contract take their profit without no doubt cleaning a window and then on to the next middle man who takes his cut and then finally our one man band that is prepared to prostitute themselves.  The result is that the value for each job will go down and down.  What I heard from the little guy who wants the commercial work is that don’t blame me, I was instructed by the fat cats who I have recently started working for.  My point is that if you want commercial work, go and win it yourselves, if we become enslaved by the large cleaning companies that are positioning themselves as having the ability to conduct a national cleaning contract but in fact just outsource it to the little guys then there will be no money in this industry in the near future except for the large monopolistic cleaning organisations.     

If you are a local company you have the right to work and win the commercial work for that area without giving that profit to two middle men before you get your cut.  Where is everybody’s initiative?  If you set up a business then be a business and be a business man and don’t let yourself be pimped by the large companies. 

If all local businesses refused to be subcontracted, then very quickly the large companies that have only got large through the little guy’s hard work will not be able to complete a “national clean” and then won’t be able to be squeezed themselves on price which they pass down the line and each business would have a chance to negotiate with local businesses.   God I am furious.     >:(

Tom White

Re: The National Clean is Killing our Business
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 10:47:46 pm »
God I am furious.     >:(

Don't be.  It's nothing personal; it's just the way the World is.  I used to clean a small family ran grocery store (Howell's for the local lads).  Then Tescos opened up and they started struggling and then directly across the road from them a Lidls opened up and they survived for another few years by 'diversifying' into selling hot food (pasties 'n' stuff), but eventually had to close.  They'd been in business for about 40 years; the son took over from the father.

As I say, it's the way things are; we're not the only ones affected.  Your anger does nothing to change anything; it'll just annoy yourself and your family.  Acceptance is the key 'n' all that gubbins.

Jack Judd

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 11:22:26 pm »
The metaphor of the grocery example is good but acceptance of a blissful pleasant state is good, but we do have the power to create change towards a more blissful state and then acceptance, (if we are talking Taoism here.  If we sit back and take it then we are nothing but foot soldiers underneath a dictatorship.  Tesco's would be in every town in this country if people hadn't made a stand.  My point of the little guy working for the middlemen is that they don't realise that they are doing no favours to themselves or the industry in the long term.  If we all and this is highly unlikely sourced our own commercial work rather than accepting the poor pay of being subcontracted then it would prevent the monopoly type state of Tesco's who screws any supplier that wants to sell their products and services to them.  The same applies.  We will be left with a couple of companies that win all commercial contracts nationwide and it will be them who are the only ones making money.  Do you want to be a dairy farmer or a self sufficient successful business owner?

Total shine cleaning services

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 11:26:42 pm »
I have been contacted a couple of times by nationals and they don't like it when I laugh hysyerically down the phone at the rates offered,I know what your saying,we should all refuse to do them...!,

Graham

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:30:19 pm »
Tesco's are successful because they offer an excellent level of customer service, with a very good range of products at highly competitive prices.

they started as a small company same as we all do.

you want to compete in any industry you have to compete on service, cost, marketing...  everything.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Tom White

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 12:22:39 am »
but we do have the power to create change towards a more blissful state and then acceptance, (if we are talking Taoism here.  If we sit back and take it then we are nothing but foot soldiers underneath a dictatorship. 

I agree wholeheartedly; acceptance doesn't mean just bending over and taking it; acceptance simply means understanding the reality of a situation. 

And I think in these circumstances that the reality is that we can't change the situation.  If you refuse to do sub contract work, someone else will quite happily do it.  If anyone thinks they can harness the unruly mob of UK window cleaners into some sort of uniform body that will agree not to undertake sub contract jobs, then I would like to see them try.

G Griffin

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:31:35 am »
Supply and demand. That's what it all boils down to.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 12:33:07 am »
It's the customer who decides ultimately.

YOU are your unique selling point. The ones who like YOU  will stay with you.

Worry not.

G Griffin

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 12:36:51 am »

Worry not.

What about price?
Big firms like Tesco don't care about individuals.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 12:38:35 am »
Years ago if have had you lot all out on strike.  Globalisation is real and their is a powerful force at work.

Opt out.

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 12:42:47 am »

Worry not.

What about price?

It is so much not about price.

Most important lesson to learn in window cleaning.

I've only been on board a couole of months and I have learnt to see my customers as friends I have just not met yet.

Don't aim too high and you will be surprised what you hit.

G Griffin

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 12:51:02 am »

Worry not.

What about price?

It is so much not about price.

Most important lesson to learn in window cleaning.

I've only been on board a couole of months and I have learnt to see my customers as friends I have just not met yet.

Don't aim too high and you will be surprised what you hit.

Have you been drinking (I have btw) or have you turned into Boshravie?  ;D
He's talking about the nationals; it's all about the price........nearly.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Tom White

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 12:53:53 am »
Have you been drinking (I have btw)

Drinking on a Tuesday evening?  Actually, it's Wednesday morning; a morning drinker eh?

Tut tut tut.  :-\

G Griffin

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 01:06:26 am »
Have you been drinking (I have btw)

Drinking on a Tuesday evening?  Actually, it's Wednesday morning; a morning drinker eh?

Tut tut tut.  :-\

Yesh, hic. We usually have a drink on a week night, the rebels that we are. But it is was her birthday, today, so just a bottle of red wine between us (and I might have a sneaky Courvoisier, she's gone to bed).
Probably have one later today, if we go out for tea, as well. Too much of a rush to go on her birthday.
That it'll be it 'til Saturday; that's if I bother, then.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Crystal-clear

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 06:47:35 am »
well put post mate i have a simple answer to all this commercial crap,

just dont do it,

domestic has its problems but these things dont happen so its much better

i thought ill be posh had a crack at it chasing commercial, dont like they expect you to almost beg and price per man days paid in 60 days and all these rules no thanks...chasing the Decision maker

also sometimes you cant earn as much as you can say cleaning a row or houses.
you,ll never catch me doing anythign crazy like commercial m8t unless its a pub or something

my rule is if they want there windows cleaned they need to pay upfront commercial never to be trusted over £50 they got a problem thats fine id rather clean bay window fronts all day anyway

Llaaww

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 06:49:08 am »
nationals suck big time.

They lie and cheat their way into worthless contracts, then simply don't do the work, while making sure the bill is sent out.

I would say they are a joke, but it is not funny.

I take any opportunity to kick them in the sack.

if it is dirty it is fair game

Ian101

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 07:28:13 am »
I have been contacted a couple of times by nationals and they don't like it when I laugh hysyerically down the phone at the rates offered,I know what your saying,we should all refuse to do them...!,

Graham

I do ............. no point in working for pennies ............ why bother ?

steven ainger

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 07:36:38 am »
I refuse also, to work for the nationals,
But, seeing all the comparisons are about tesco's etc, how many of us  do all our shopping at small independent shops, none probably.
Its about cost & convienience

Ronnie Bryce

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 07:37:26 am »
National's can offer much more than a window clean, this is the reason they are taken on. Window cleaning is only a small part of facilities management. Internal store washing, bathroom washing, floor scrub, elecrtical and plumbing maintenance and repair and much more. National's supply all this for an agreed price for any contractual period.

Thing's have changed in the last decade, so you just have to move on to something else. The local shop windie cleaner's day's for large chain stores are almost nearly over. Stop blabbering like a big girl and see the world how it is. The sooner you do, the better you will be.

Roy Harding

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 07:51:57 am »
Hi Jack

I totally agree and never take on work offered by nationals. I have been window cleaning many years, and the thing is there is always someone out there that will do it.

Roy