This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

PurefectWindowCleaning

What would you pay employee?
« on: July 18, 2012, 05:11:09 pm »
For those of you that do employee, im trying to establish weather im being a tight ass or not  ;D

The lad I employee has not been in the best of moods lately, and I think it might be because of his money worries/troubles.

Anyway, what would you pay per hour given the following bulletpoints?

. Part time contract (16 hours)
. Experianced traditional window cleaner (5 years)
. NO driving license

AuRavelling79

Re: What would you pay employee?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 05:17:03 pm »
£10 per hour made up of £8 basic plus bonus if achieved.
It's a game of three halves!

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 05:19:21 pm »

Gold... would these figures change if the contracted hours were up'd to say 30 per week?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 05:34:35 pm »

Gold... would these figures change if the contracted hours were up'd to say 30 per week?

As long as they were productive "on the glass" hours without too much driving in between. If it turned out he was a "good" reliable guy I'd go a bit higher.
It's a game of three halves!

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:50:25 pm »
Thanks Gold.

Whats others views on this?

richywilts

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 06:33:06 pm »
its the hidden costs of employing where you cant go to high coz there meant to be benefitting you not the other way around thats how ive found employing in the past where it seems to be more hassles than the extra bit of money you make with holidays and employer nat ins contributions etc bank hols to pay them sort of wages golds on about they would have to seriously make u some money
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

steve rix

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 06:43:24 pm »
We pay £6.08 ph + bonus of 30% of turnover over an agreed target.
Most blokes earn between £9.50 and £11.50 ph

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 06:46:50 pm »
its the hidden costs of employing where you cant go to high coz there meant to be benefitting you not the other way around thats how ive found employing in the past where it seems to be more hassles than the extra bit of money you make with holidays and employer nat ins contributions etc bank hols to pay them sort of wages golds on about they would have to seriously make u some money

Richy

You make me smile at times, you want to have a business worth £ millions yet you want to do it on the cheap, I use to have a market sttall business that did grow into a shop and then back to the market.

Every week I would have to pay for stock, insurance, electric, rates, water rates, rent and even wages.

Nowadays I have a business and all I really have to pay for is van costs and wages.

bobby p

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 07:02:04 pm »
you say he isnt happy - i would ask first whats his personality -  some people are never happy unless theyre bathing in champagne and even then wont smile much.

i wont ever employ a dominant or greedy personality  again after my recent bad experience

richywilts

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 07:47:45 pm »

Richy

You make me smile at times, you want to have a business worth £ millions yet you want to do it on the cheap, I use to have a market sttall business that did grow into a shop and then back to the market.

Every week I would have to pay for stock, insurance, electric, rates, water rates, rent and even wages.

Nowadays I have a business and all I really have to pay for is van costs and wages.

im not opposed to paying decent wages honestly but at the end of the day there just a window cleaning employee semi skilled work which i think 7-8quid per hour is fair maybe 9quid if they were the real deal, most cleaning employees for domestic cleaning earn say minimum wage so what are these window cleaners doing to demand say £4 more an hour
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

steve rix

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 07:50:54 pm »

Richy

im not opposed to paying decent wages honestly but at the end of the day there just a window cleaning employee semi skilled work which i think 7-8quid per hour is fair maybe 9quid if they were the real deal, most cleaning employees for domestic cleaning earn say minimum wage so what are these window cleaners doing to demand say £4 more an hour

Turning over alot of money!!

richywilts

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 10:14:35 pm »
from the deans other post relating to wages what i have posted somewhere between 7-8 quid seems to be the normal wage which u say is cheap yet seems to be an average now i would agree minimum wage is a low wage but unless u really had an employee who was excellent trustworthy high standards reliable been with u say five years and trust ur life and business with them then yes id agree 10 quid an hour would be fair
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 10:24:51 pm »
ok, so what would you pay an hour for someone who has NO initiative, NO drivers license, doesnt write bills out etc, no imput towards the business... just simply cleans windows, gets in the van, gets out the van, cleans windows?

richywilts

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 10:54:35 pm »
30 cash in hand  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

sunshine windows

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 11:31:51 pm »
Around £15 ph
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 06:40:10 am »

it's unskilled work.  i could train a monkey to do it given 4 weeks.

pay minimun wage plus bonuses for overtime and 100% attendence

as richy says the cost of employing is very hi with 28 days paid holidays etc and WC isnt such a hi profit industry to allow inflated wages if you want to make a worthwhile amount as a business owner.

also costs of employing are going up again this year with new regulations on pensions.  employers will be oblidged to contribute to pensions.  also new rules on holidays coming in thru EU where if your employees are sick whilst off on paid holiday, the the sick days will not count as holidays... 
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

roundbuilder

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 03:25:16 pm »
from the deans other post relating to wages what i have posted somewhere between 7-8 quid seems to be the normal wage which u say is cheap yet seems to be an average now i would agree minimum wage is a low wage but unless u really had an employee who was excellent trustworthy high standards reliable been with u say five years and trust ur life and business with them then yes id agree 10 quid an hour would be fair
Too right all the guys who say £10-£15 an hour are bull pooping. Richy i think you are spot on i pay £7 an hour for 30 hour weeks and give a £25 tax free bonus if they hit the weekly target which is still a big dent in weekly turnover if was £10-£15 id be going bust not to mention mugging myself off as i havnt built up my empire to make someone else rich no way pedro.
Not even a sparkie is getting £15 an hour now days, so who in there right mind would pay a window cleaner £15 an hour doing it all legit ie not cash in hand.

thermoclean

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 09:36:37 pm »
Why don't you pay by the task in other words they get £x amount for completing
X amount of jobs. Found it works better for me, they are motivated to finish the task or don't get payed and your not paying for fAg breaks or coffee stops that you can get get paying by the hour.

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 10:36:58 pm »

it's unskilled work.  i could train a monkey to do it given 4 weeks.

pay minimun wage plus bonuses for overtime and 100% attendence

as richy says the cost of employing is very hi with 28 days paid holidays etc and WC isnt such a hi profit industry to allow inflated wages if you want to make a worthwhile amount as a business owner.

also costs of employing are going up again this year with new regulations on pensions.  employers will be oblidged to contribute to pensions.  also new rules on holidays coming in thru EU where if your employees are sick whilst off on paid holiday, the the sick days will not count as holidays... 

Yes it might be unskilled work cleaning windows but what about what else does the cleaner do for you, mind are an extension of me, they are the face of my company, when they turn up and clean winodws they also represent the company and try to gain new business with their behaviour and they do suceed with gaining me new work.

Yes there are new regulation coming in with regard to pensions, for large comapnys employing thousands this started in april, not many window cleaners come into these companies, with the company employing just 1 part timers or a couple of staff then they have northing to worry about for 5 years.

Sick pay, well you don't pay for it, all staff come under the SSP scheme, yes you pay it out in their wages but the taxman pays it back into your bank account.

Holidays are 28 days a year at the moment, but you do have control over when you can let them have it, personally It might be wise to let the staff have most of the 28 days in the winter when you cannot work because of servere cold weather.

I have worked at many places in my life and the 2 things that all the staff moan about are working conditions and pay, if you pay peanuts your workers will act like a monkey, why should they go that bit extra for you when they are not going to benefit from it or they feel you will not go that extra mile with them.

I pay a day rate and on most of my days the working time is only about 6 hours max, but at times with travelling time this can rise to 12 hours or more.

I still get the same quality of clean off them ether way