This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ben M

flushing RO
« on: July 12, 2012, 03:32:33 pm »
How to flush my 40'' RO without a waste tap?

I have a hose which goes from the RO to the DI then to the tank and a hose (waste water) which goes from the RO to the outside of the van.

Thanks.

Ben

SPE

Re: flushing RO
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:31:30 pm »
Hi Ben,
not sure I follow,
are you saying that there is no inline valve on the waste pipe ? or is it restricted in some other way ?
without either of these its already flushing and sending most of the water to waste  ???

Simon

king marko

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:03:56 pm »
I wanted to comment on this but thought I'd misread the post - how do you regulate your waste ratio??? It sounds like your putting all your water straight down the drain? You must be getting some water thru into DI then tank? is it just a very small dribble?
Have you set this up yourself?

mark blundell

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 05:16:13 pm »
there will be an in-line valve somewhere I have seen this before on a K-systems set up.
the guy who had it in his van was told buy K-systems never to touch it.

he was going through so much DI resin as his pure was going in at over 100 TDS 

personally I think you should flush at least once a week I flush before and after every fill. 

ben M

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 06:07:39 pm »
there will be an in-line valve somewhere I have seen this before on a K-systems set up.
the guy who had it in his van was told buy K-systems never to touch it.

he was going through so much DI resin as his pure was going in at over 100 TDS 

personally I think you should flush at least once a week I flush before and after every fill. 
Yes i have a K-systems set up but i never seen an in-line valve somewhere, what should i do then?
thanks.
Ben

landy2

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 07:17:57 pm »
hello there shoudl be a valve on pipe from ro to di    you woud turn it so so much goes to waste and so much goes to di then to the tank , if there is not one easy to fit one just cut pipe and fit  between ro and  di , then  to flush you turn so no water goes to di but straight to waste ,  but to be honest this should already be fitted as they are not desighned to except 100 % of water and you would be sort of flushing when filling anyway  , hope that helps   :P

ben M

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 07:38:46 pm »
hello there shoudl be a valve on pipe from ro to di    you woud turn it so so much goes to waste and so much goes to di then to the tank , if there is not one easy to fit one just cut pipe and fit  between ro and  di , then  to flush you turn so no water goes to di but straight to waste ,  but to be honest this should already be fitted as they are not desighned to except 100 % of water and you would be sort of flushing when filling anyway  , hope that helps   :P
thanks for your help, i am 100% sure i haven't got a valve on pipe between the ro and the di!

spongebob

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 08:39:40 pm »
How many do actually flush?
I use about 900 litres of pure a week on average.
My tds is 350ish
I never flush my ro. I use a large booster pump with with a 40/40 and large diameter prefilters.
I must have produced 30,000 litres of pure at a 2:1 waste to pure ratio with no filter or ro cleaning.
The waste tds is 500+ and the pure comes out at 19 dropping to 8 within 5 minutes then into the di.
I am on a meter so dont want to waste water flushing. The pump runs at about 120psi into the ro.
Does anyone else NOT backflush and what are there figures like?

king marko

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 09:07:26 pm »
K-Systems set up - you should have what looks like a stop cock/valve from the RO waste??
You need to turn this to full waste to flush
I'd say no more than 10 mins before each fill
After flushing turn the valve back so you have a fill ratio of maybe 60/40 ?? Or 50/50 ??
Just keep your eye on the Tds in - if you turn too far it will rise, and likewise, too little
Depending on the quality of the 4040 and the hardness of your water it should come down below 010 if not more
Hope that helps  :)

ben M

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:26:35 pm »
K-Systems set up - you should have what looks like a stop cock/valve from the RO waste??
You need to turn this to full waste to flush
I'd say no more than 10 mins before each fill
After flushing turn the valve back so you have a fill ratio of maybe 60/40 ?? Or 50/50 ??
Just keep your eye on the Tds in - if you turn too far it will rise, and likewise, too little
Depending on the quality of the 4040 and the hardness of your water it should come down below 010 if not more
Hope that helps  :)

Thank you very much Mark, i just had a look and i noticed a little stop cock at the end of the pipe from the RO waste! I have the system for nearly a year and i never done a flush!
My tap water tds is 250 and at the moment the tds is 23 after the 4040.
When i do a flush, should i leave the Di connected or not?
Thanks again.
Ben

ben M

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 10:25:51 pm »
so, should i leave the DI connected or not?

thanks

king marko

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 07:51:50 am »
Yeah leave DI connected mate - i do when i flush
You may find its a little too late now tho and probably won't notice much difference tbh
What's the lowest Tds you've had?? And is it rising?
Are you using a booster pump?

ben M

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 08:53:05 am »
Yeah leave DI connected mate - i do when i flush
You may find its a little too late now tho and probably won't notice much difference tbh
What's the lowest Tds you've had?? And is it rising?
Are you using a booster pump?

the first time i checked was 2 month ago and after the RO the tds was 18
i don't use a booster pump
Thanks

Window Washers

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 08:58:59 am »

thanks
don't leave the di connected when you flush, you will be pumping high tds into it for the first min or 2 as as the ro still will produce when you flush although only a small amount of flow.
Disconnect it to preserve your resin life, I would do this everytime.

if you don't your resin will not last as long, same goes for when you fill and dont flush (I flush every fill) i know some dont, if you dont the same happens as the tds shoots up when you first starts then drops, so if you dont flush and want to save on resin disconnet for 2 mins when you start to fill.
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

ben M

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 09:04:48 am »

thanks
don't leave the di connected when you flush, you will be pumping high tds into it for the first min or 2 as as the ro still will produce when you flush although only a small amount of flow.
Disconnect it to preserve your resin life, I would do this everytime.

if you don't your resin will not last as long, same goes for when you fill and dont flush (I flush every fill) i know some dont, if you dont the same happens as the tds shoots up when you first starts then drops, so if you dont flush and want to save on resin disconnet for 2 mins when you start to fill.
Very good advice, thank you for your help!  :D

ben M

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 09:23:51 am »
i flushed out the RO for 20 min and the tds now is 12,any good?
After the DI, the tds is 003, should i change the resin?
Thanks.
Ben

king marko

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 09:37:05 am »
Resin is cheap as chips mate so the choice is yours - some on here still clean when it's 009 or even higher - if you clean when it's 000 then at least you know any problems you get aren't from the water quality

Window Washers

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 10:25:47 am »
Resin is cheap as chips mate so the choice is yours - some on here still clean when it's 009 or even higher - if you clean when it's 000 then at least you know any problems you get aren't from the water quality
Mark, I clean with 000 myself, but I do disconnect I use a lot of water, I know resin is cheap enough, but why waste it, I use it as part of the flushing routine and take less then 5 seconds to do
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

king marko

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 12:28:54 pm »
Mark, I clean with 000 myself, but I do disconnect I use a lot of water, I know resin is cheap enough, but why waste it, I use it as part of the flushing routine and take less then 5 seconds to do
No idea what you are on about Ian - he asked wether to replace resin at 003 and I was commenting on that fella

Window Washers

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 03:28:38 pm »
No idea what you are on about Ian - he asked wether to replace resin at 003 and I was commenting on that fella
Was repying to the other post where you said leave it connected, it uses more resin leaving it connected when flushing, hence why I said "i know resin is cheap why waste it"

I may have quoted wrong thread I guess I have  ;D