This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Pete10

Absolute nightmare commercial ~ right decision?
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:46:22 pm »
Went on a large commercial job today with another window cleaner who'd kindly agreed to help....only agreed to do the job verbally last week on a description from a cleaning contractor (they'd taken the job on at one days notice) as i'd turned up to site to have a look around and got told to push off by the site manager.

Get on site today...absolute chaos....wasn't a building clean more a building site....must've been 200 guys still working on the site and smashing the crap out of the place....dust and hazards everywhere, half the carpets down and getting ruined, no keys for rooms or windows.....sposed to be scaffolded but half scaffolding had dissapeared....needless to say we walked off.

Didnt like letting the commercial cleaner down but couldnt work like that....my view from experience in a previous career/ life is the contractor is going bust hence accelerating the work regardless of schedule to get paid then sink the company.....couldnt see us getting paid ~ we got told clean them now then come back again and do them again at a later date.....just didnt add up...all other trades were up in arms so guess the contracts in dissary...

Any thoughts/ similar experiences? comments welcome... >:(

TomCrowther

Re: Absolute nightmare commercial ~ right decision?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 08:48:33 pm »
I would have walked too. Disorganised, dangerous and probably wouldn't get paid.

bobplum

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:59:33 pm »
Went on a large commercial job today with another window cleaner who'd kindly agreed to help....only agreed to do the job verbally last week on a description from a cleaning contractor (they'd taken the job on at one days notice) as i'd turned up to site to have a look around and got told to push off by the site manager.

Get on site today...absolute chaos....wasn't a building clean more a building site....must've been 200 guys still working on the site and smashing the crap out of the place....dust and hazards everywhere, half the carpets down and getting ruined, no keys for rooms or windows.....sposed to be scaffolded but half scaffolding had dissapeared....needless to say we walked off.

Didnt like letting the commercial cleaner down but couldnt work like that....my view from experience in a previous career/ life is the contractor is going bust hence accelerating the work regardless of schedule to get paid then sink the company.....couldnt see us getting paid ~ we got told clean them now then come back again and do them again at a later date.....just didnt add up...all other trades were up in arms so guess the contracts in dissary...

allways go with the gut,as leroy gibbs from ncis would say

Lee Pryor

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:05:53 pm »
I learnt years ago that there are two kinds of money.

Easy money and hard money............ stick to the easy kind and learn to say no to some work that comes your way, as it often works out as hard graft, that doesnt earn you anymore but makes you feel like crap.
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:06:24 pm »
You did the right thing by the sounds of it ;D

roundbuilder

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:19:45 pm »
I learnt years ago that there are two kinds of money.

Easy money and hard money............ stick to the easy kind and learn to say no to some work that comes your way, as it often works out as hard graft, that doesnt earn you anymore but makes you feel like crap.

yes i like easy money too.

Pete10

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:33:37 pm »
many thanks chaps....was really questioning if anyone had experience of builders cleans whilst they're still building  :o :o :o :o not talking about the odd painter or chippy knocking about snaggin or carpet layers shufflin about....i mean literally still involved in constructing the fabric of the building......dust & poo everywhere????

all i can imagine is they're going under....so they bill the client for the clean....you dont get paid and the builder goes under owing loads of trades....

one minute the scaffolding was going to be there....then it dissapeared, sounds like the scaffolder hadnt been paid either...

Dean Taberner

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:38:26 pm »
Definitely did the right thing mate.

Sounds a nightmare,

Dean.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

bobplum

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:44:42 pm »
many thanks chaps....was really questioning if anyone had experience of builders cleans whilst they're still building  :o :o :o :o not talking about the odd painter or chippy knocking about snaggin or carpet layers shufflin about....i mean literally still involved in constructing the fabric of the building......dust & poo everywhere????

all i can imagine is they're going under....so they bill the client for the clean....you dont get paid and the builder goes under owing loads of trades....

one minute the scaffolding was going to be there....then it dissapeared, sounds like the scaffolder hadnt been paid either...

it happened with myself working on a job for Richard at isparkle,turned up and it was still in progress,one incident we cleaned a row of windows and then they decided to cut plaster board with a circular saw right next to the windows
thats why i would never ever do that kind of clean

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 09:56:35 pm »

this sounds like a company i did some work for a few years back. It was a build clean company but basically they used to sub all window cleaning and had there own team of cleaners all doley types.

Anyway she rings me up one day to do some quotes, so i drive there and only the skeleton of the building is up! been sent to jobs much the same as above, but the icing on the cake...

One day she rings me up desperate to go do a build clean on a new classroom at a school in a town about 40 miles away. So I told her if you want me to drop what im doing it will be £300 so she says fine.

I get to the job and the builder asks who i am, i explain who sent me and says "i dont think so!" he then tells me he had just sent her cleaners home (i saw them in the car park) as they had turned up with hardly any cleaning gear, it was all domestic stuff brought from home and they didnt have a clue what they were doing!

so i phone my woman and tell her whats happened and i will still be charging her £200 for my wasted day (kind of me to discount my rate i know) so i had a nice little drive up the coast and back for £200
prob my most enjoyable work day ever  ;D

After that episode I thought it best to leave our dealings at that. She was basically a hustler getting work and subbing it out etc, but as she never had a pro cleaning team there was always some disaster but she always had plenty of work ???
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

Steve Sed

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 09:58:20 pm »
I did one the other day. They were getting ready for an open day. Eight prestige houses, none finished but wanted the windows cleaned. Paid on the day an outrageous sum.  ;D

Crystal-clear

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 10:07:48 pm »
I would have walked too. Disorganised, dangerous and probably wouldn't get paid.

ditto

i would just give em a quick courtesy call and request payment upfront as you do not have faith!

you never know people will pay up if they have to get it cleaned.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 10:08:34 pm »

what a disaster that was bob!  i learned never to say yes to those jobs after that.  i didnt get paid and lost out as i had to pay you!  :)
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Pete10

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 10:09:31 pm »
...sounds very similar.......came to me saying they doubted the quality of their last window cleaners.....a likely story.....got sent to a site last thursday.....and waited and waited and waited...three hours out of the afternoon....very disorganised crew....committed to a job for them this sunday....after that...I'm out.

H S and Son

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 10:14:32 pm »
many thanks chaps....was really questioning if anyone had experience of builders cleans whilst they're still building

Yup, last year and they went bust owing me 1K.

Scaffold was still up.

Anyone I work for now commercially gets to go through my solvency test here http://www.companysearchesmadesimple.com/

richywilts

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 10:19:27 pm »

what a disaster that was bob!  i learned never to say yes to those jobs after that.  i didnt get paid and lost out as i had to pay you!  :)

they got the proper boys in after that i heard who dont mind a bit of hard graft who dont mind getting dirty ;D ;D ;D
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Pete10

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 10:22:57 pm »
...thanks matt, cant see a solvency test there though...company formation website....would ask a few contractors to see if they've been paid...but cant be bothered......think its pretty obvious they're struggling.

Pete10

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 10:25:33 pm »
... apologies...got the credit check site...going to buy the report as might be able to save the cleaning contractor some money...they are due on site next week...

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 10:28:56 pm »

And that is where this story would have ended for me ...

Run Forrest, Run!  ;D

:)
It's a game of three halves!

H S and Son

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 11:13:11 pm »
... apologies...got the credit check site...going to buy the report as might be able to save the cleaning contractor some money...they are due on site next week...

Yes I put the wrong link up initially. Good luck with that. I'd be interested to hear how the credit report comes back.