This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bay View WCS

Dilema - what would you do?
« on: July 04, 2012, 09:42:15 am »
Hey all

So a lady stops me in the street a couple of weeks ago and asks me for a price so I called round when finished.  I explained I clean every 4 or 8 weeks and the price would be £13 and £15 respectively - or if she wanted less frequently or a one-off the price would be more.  She opted for 8 weekly so I cleaned there and then and she paid by cheque as soon as finished.

Last night she gave me a call and said she thinks 8 weekly will be too frequent and can I call in December to clean them next.  As I was in the middle of something I was a bit taken aback and said that's fine and see her then.

Thinking about it more I feel more than a bit miffed as she has essentially mislead me into giving her a cheap price as based on an 8 weekly.  I am definitely going to give her a call to explain that the price in December will be more but shouldn't I also have a case for asking for more for the original clean? 

I have no problem with walking away and forgetting about it but what would you lot do?

Thanks in advance

Tom

Ian101

Re: Dilema - what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 09:45:03 am »
Too late know but what works for me is the following reply when they ask how much

"Our standard price for this type of house is £24 however once you become a regular monthly customer it drops to £12"

EandM

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 09:45:17 am »
Just turn in December and tell her, as per agreed, it will be £25.

Ian101

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 09:46:19 am »
With this lady I would call her today and say oh by the way for non regular cleaning the price is £xxx do you still want me to book you in for December ?

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:11:21 pm »
just forget it unless your desperate in december
Spit and polish

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 12:21:47 pm »
Do you honestly believe it takes longer to do when left a month or 2??

ben M

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 12:25:03 pm »
4,6 or 8 weeks, i charge the same price!

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 12:49:15 pm »
I would send her a letter thanking her for her business and stating the prices that you can offer for each cycle of cleaning. It is good practice to put it in writing anyway so as to avoid confusion

The other option is only to price work at a value of a one off. Then whatever they choose isnt really a problem. Thats how I deal with it now.

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 01:19:46 pm »
She has got her price by deception and make a point of telling them what they have done is deceitful. You have to be ready for all there cons. The best way if someone calls is to say you are up a ladder can you call back, think it through and then call back. Don`t be pressured to speak immediately.We all get taken once.

C o z y

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 01:48:16 pm »
Too late know but what works for me is the following reply when they ask how much

"Our standard price for this type of house is £24 however once you become a regular monthly customer it drops to £12"

That's the answer for me. I remember when someone posted that and it's what I use now.
No still don't understand, I must be thick

bobplum

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 04:37:53 pm »

That's the answer for me. I remember when someone posted that and it's what I use now.

just taking it a step further couldnt the customer just say"fine i will be a regular now,so is that £12.00" ??? ???

Ian101

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 04:51:35 pm »

just taking it a step further couldnt the customer just say"fine i will be a regular now,so is that £12.00" ??? ???

Company policy Madam the first visit is always classed a standard clean.

simples ... but if they get stroppy then dont want em anyways ... will give em your number instead  :D

tompoole

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 06:07:45 pm »
just charge her an increase on the next clean , easy  8)

Spruce

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 06:08:15 pm »
All she's doing is booking an advanced Christmans clean, and then she will book you for next Christmas - only thing is that she will move and 'forget' to tell you.

What would I do? Forget her and move on. Don't take it personally. In future, charge a first clean premium and if they change their mind, then you haven't lost much.

We've all been caught with the one of cleans at at regular price.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

bobby p

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 06:22:14 pm »
you cant forget it and you wont forgive it .

you will be slightly more bitter n twisted now with a curl to your lip  when a newbie asks nexttime which is a good thing IMO

H S and Son

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 06:34:40 pm »
shouldn't I also have a case for asking for more for the original clean? 

Good luck with that!

Tom White

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 06:37:15 pm »
just forget it unless your desperate in december

This would be my option. 

And this stuff happens.  I am extremely clear on my terms and conditions these days because of this kind of situation.  I'll even explain previous scenarios, just like what's happened, to bore the point home to them.

It seems to work.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 06:51:50 pm »
Bay View welcome to the wonderfull wolrd of window cleaning its not just you its everyone just forget her like someone els said,

to aviod this try charging more on the first clean.or minium 3x clean or offer a one off for 200% then give em an option to continue if they are happy but it all depends on how much you need the work!

Bay View WCS

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 07:12:44 pm »
Hey all

So I have just called her and explained I couldn't discuss at length yesterday because I was in the middle of something.  I explained that the price I had originally quoted was on the basis of a regular clean of 8 weekly and that if she had told me that it was to be an infrequent clean I would have increased the cost to reflect that. 

She admitted that she was at fault and that she had changed her mind and, without being prompted, asked if she now owed me some money for the original clean; I confirmed she did really but that I would add it to the cost of the next clean in December (if she hasn't moved that is!!  ;D).  I told her that I had called to clear the air and explain that the clean in December would attract a premium and she said that was fine.

As an aside, she also said in passing: "I really can't believe why anyone round here would have their windows cleaned every four or eight weeks - it's not like we're in a middle class area is it!" I think she is just a dirty cow as she admitted she hasn't cleaned the inside of her windows since she moved in 6 years ago so no wonder she doesn't want the outside cleaned every 8 weeks.

Definitely one to put down to experience.

I normally do charge more on first cleans for exactly this reason - can't think why I didn't on this occasion - I do play it by ear on some. Oh well, live and learn!

Thanks for the advice all

Cheers, Tom

Spruce

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 07:44:33 pm »
It will be good to hear how you get on in December.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)