This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Schools
« on: January 16, 2006, 05:38:09 pm »
Just had a call to go and price up a school on friday and what i have heard is this school is quit big. never quoted a school before any tips on pricing them up cos i know they dont have the deepest pockets in the world.   ???

Stuart

Majestic

Re: Schools
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 06:53:53 pm »
I do a  high school , when I priced it I never took into account the kids. Little darlings, they can add time onto the job. When I do it now I have all  my breaks  the same time as them as they can be pests . Kicking balls , just getting in the way. Even with the area taped off

gaza

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 07:01:22 pm »
saj:Make sure your p/liability is atleast 5 million,if not ask the council their requirements and add it to the bill,divide it by how many cleans your going to do a year.

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

marc al

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 08:40:59 pm »
  I did a large school earlier in the year during the summer holidays, they couldn't get anyone else to quote for it, pity I didn't go in higher!
  My Dad is best mates with the Deputy Head who swung it for me, but he has told me to go a fair few quid higher next year! Still had a good weeks wages out of it though.

Marc

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 09:07:07 pm »
Stuart,

We do a large comprehensive school quite close to us and my only tip would be to find out what time the caretaker is on site and start when he does.

Ours is there from 7 am and that gives us a good hour and a half without the kids.  we have been told not to clean at break or lunch times so build this in as extras because that alone adds up to approx nearly 2 hours per day.

If, like us they want 1/4 cleans - try to schedule then in half term breaks and arrange with the caretaker to open up for you - NO KIDS - EARLIER FINISH - BETTER HOURLY RATE.

We have no problems getting payment as it is done by BACS and usually in our account within 7 days but from what I have read not all are like that so make sure you keep chasing them.

Good luck,

Sarah
Sarah

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 09:47:42 pm »
Most schools especially the big ones will have a budget allowance set for the year for window cleaning.

Find out what that is divided by the number of cleans they expect for that budget and there you go  :) You know the price before you price it  ;)

PS you dont have to be a window cleaner to find out what the budget is.

More than one way to skin a cat eh?  :)

Hope this helps

Andrew

mark dew

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 10:57:58 pm »
How do you find out what the w/c budget is for the year?
Will they tell you?
will they tell you the truth?

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 06:52:42 pm »
Cheers for the advice. ill ask for the window cleaning budget when i see the bloke and tell him i wont clean them during school time only during the holidays.

Once again cheers from you guys and sarah

stuart. 8)

mark dew

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 12:22:53 am »
andrew, can you say if i'm asking a silly question........please :)

Working off a ladder and still learning how to approach cleaning windows, schools seem a little daunting to me. And difficult to price up without being too cheap or way over.
Do you have a quiet word with the caretaker, openly ask someone else or can you find out on the school or local council webpage?

I've turned down a a couple of commercials saying i haven't got the time during the winter months. Because there are other factors involved than just turning up and cleaning what's in front of you.
But i would certainly be more interested if i could find out how much a job was worth and then decide whether i could do it for that price.

sigh.... if only i had more experience.
Until that happens, can you share the benefit of yours please. ;D

Fast 1 *

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 12:32:15 am »
its about self worth.every time i look at a job i think about  the effort involved to myself,then i add 20 percent.dont under value yourself(somthing window cleaners seem to do)if you dont get the job,so what......get another one.
wildstyles

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 12:46:06 pm »

Working off a ladder and still learning how to approach cleaning windows, schools seem a little daunting to me. And difficult to price up without being too cheap or way over.
Do you have a quiet word with the caretaker, openly ask someone else or can you find out on the school or local council webpage?

I've turned down a a couple of commercials saying i haven't got the time during the winter months. Because there are other factors involved than just turning up and cleaning what's in front of you.
But i would certainly be more interested if i could find out how much a job was worth and then decide whether i could do it for that price.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 12:48:47 pm »

try working on £30.00 per hour to price industrial/commercial work.
work out how long it will take in hours,add a few on if its a fairly big job and go from there.