Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

james roffey

Another crucial carpet problem ?
« on: April 16, 2012, 08:23:40 pm »
Went to do a quote last week and i am doing the job in the morning, the carpet was very unusual and not a carpet i have ever seen before its a loop pile 100% wool the loops are enormous and i gather from the customer that she paid a fortune for it.
I realise that agitation will not be possible because of the size of the loops etc, but i thought that it could be cleaned without any problems.
But tonight i had a thought that this may be one of those "crucial" carpets that have caused problems in the past, i understand that it is the vibrantly coloured woven stripped carpets that shrink, should i be concerned about this carpet, i went on the internet and discovered that it is a crucial-trading.com carpet
called "Moscow smoke"am i being over cautious have i missed something, basically can i clean this ?

Re: Another crucial carpet problem ?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:32:09 pm »
I did a crucial trading rug last week.
I warned the customer what would probably happen (but she wasn't bothered) and although I literally misted and extracted sure enough the thing went tight and distorted.

Me? If it's got the name CT on it then either run or make 1000% sure the customer knows what will be likely to happen.

james roffey

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:36:19 pm »
I did a crucial trading rug last week.
I warned the customer what would probably happen (but she wasn't bothered) and although I literally misted and extracted sure enough the thing went tight and distorted.

Me? If it's got the name CT on it then either run or make 1000% sure the customer knows what will be likely to happen.

What was it made from Neil.

Its lucky i decided to have a look on the website before the job, i just thought it was so unusual it may just be, and the fact she said it cost a fortune, i must admit i cant figure out why a loop pile wool carpet should shrink, but what do i know i am relatively new to this.

PS its £100 sq mtr

If it cant be wet cleaned then it cant be cleaned at all, what a useless product >:(

Nigel_W

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 08:47:07 pm »
James,

Don't worry. The carpet you are going to clean is 100% wool pile. I don't know how it is constructed but as long as you don't wet the carpet through to the backing you will be safe from shrinkage. The loops look quite loose so mist on your prespray, lots of dry strokes and if you are still worried dry with a fan.

Not all Crucial Trading carpets are a problem. When you have had more experience you will be able to tell the difference. At least you knew to ask the question.

Good luck

Nigel

charles911

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:53:55 pm »
could u not aggitate with a host & the soft brushes?

peter maybury

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 09:20:34 pm »
it is not who imports or markets the product that matters, crucial trading do a large range of products and they only import and market products. There are many many other companies doing this and the term crucial trading product is a totally useless and meaningless statement. The products that have been disscussed in the past have all been sisal/ coir or seagrass, crucial trading certainly do not have the monopoly on these products. Any naturally backed product has the risk of schrinkage so just make sure you treat with caution and minmise the moisture to the backing.
I cannot believe the price that they charge for their products but I suppose they must spen an absolute fortune on marketing. I hope you are going to charge accordingly for the job James.
Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

james roffey

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 09:35:02 pm »

Impossible, i would not even risk using my Sebo on it.

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 09:43:38 pm »
Is this the one?
http://carpetxpress.co.uk/other-carpets/crucial-trading/wool/moscow-smoke.html
Walk away comes to mind  ::) seems too risky to keep backing dry.
"So basically its a big vax!"

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:55:02 pm »

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:06:02 pm »
Strange how neither of these like to tell us what the backing is.
The fact it's wool pile means it should be cleanable with extreme caution.

If you go on the CT website you can request up to 6 sample pieces, which I did.
When they arrived I put them onto a piece of card and drew around them, then I wet them and literally within 20 minutes you could see the shrinkage happening with your own eyes :o to leave a distinct line where the border of the pieces had once touched.
If that happens with 2 inch/sq samples imagine what the shrinkage could be across a 26 ft by 12 ft

Garyj

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 03:40:06 am »
I did my bit for the demise of these awful carpets by destroying over £20,000 worth.

Never did hear any more about it, insurance company were very good though.

Hilton

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 08:41:57 am »
Have you checked if it actually has a backing, some of these don't.

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 02:14:42 pm »
The backing is Action Bac.

Regards Tony

STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 03:39:08 pm »
why take any risks if in doubt of how this will clean?

do you really want to own this carpet if it goes wrong - these carpets are notorious for looking ok to clean and then instantly becoming your problem and cost an absolute fortune to replace

do you really need this risk/job?

explain the problems with these carpets and walk away referring them to the suppliers - thats my advice!!!

Hilton

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 03:44:19 pm »

He said Host not Sebo.

If its Actionbac then you have a risk of it stretching and not going back into place, might then need a fitter to sort it out if it all goes tits up.

I am sure it will be fine if cleaned with care.

james roffey

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 05:20:21 pm »

He said Host not Sebo.

If its Actionbac then you have a risk of it stretching and not going back into place, might then need a fitter to sort it out if it all goes tits up.

I am sure it will be fine if cleaned with care.

I said i would not even use the sebo which has tiny brushes, so i am not going to use the Host machine with massive brushes

james roffey

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 05:23:04 pm »
The backing is Action Bac.

Regards Tony

What is action back ? i have some samples from the customer as yet it has not shrunk and i have soaked one piece to see if it shrinks, are you saying that it can stretch instead.

Have looked on the internet for action bac and it says that its made from polypropylene, so how can a wool loop pile with polyprop backing cause problems with HWE, does not make sense  ???

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 09:44:43 pm »
Action Back ??? love to know1

petermaybury

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 10:11:58 pm »
Action bac is a synthetic and does not present any problems. With a carpet costing the amount that the customer has paid you would assume that the carpet has been fitted to a high standard and has been tentioned onto the gripper in the correct manner. A very large amount of the carpets that are on the market (and have been for some time) are manufactured with action bac it has been around for at least 10 years. It is just a secondary backed carpet using synthetic materials, marketed as "rotproof ".
A lot of the references and scare stories are referring to totally different carpets, a lot of scaremainering is being done which is totally irrellevant to this specific product.
Many cleaners on here will have been cleaning action bac carpets without even knowing it, it is very widely used in the industry.
Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 10:14:14 pm »
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk