Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

rogue trader last night
« on: April 06, 2012, 09:49:56 am »
anyone watch it?

a landscape gardener was on but what I thought was wrong was what the 'expert' said about price. firstly he said "times are hard"... so this is a days works..... so the price shouldn't be over £350 and then he said that man has earned a £100 an hour as though this was a total rip off

So what an 'expert' on watchdog is telling the general public is........

if 'times are hard' you should expect a lower price

don't pay more than £350 for a days work

and if the tradesmen makes £100/hr he is ripping you off

I don't want to start another argument about price but he shouldn't be allowed to make such generalisations on TV
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Andrew Briscoe

Re: rogue trader last night
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 09:53:59 am »
Unfortunately it sells tv, it also sells advertising which is 100 times £100/hr  :(

Simon Gerrard

jasonl

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 10:15:05 am »
I personally think matt alwright is a rubbish , lazy , sensationalistic journalist.   

On a side note , big line up of vans for sale outside enterprise cleanings HQ yesterday. not much sign of life
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:13:17 am »
Did you pop back to the warm part of the country for a while then Jason ??

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 11:24:35 am »
He was only expressing a view, so what.

Simon

but when he is introduced as an 'expert' then his view is seen as  'fact' and he was stating facts  "a days work should not cost more than £350"

Helen

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 11:42:39 am »
Landscape gardiners labour costs round here are a lot more than £350 per day....good ones are anyway, guess this "expert" doesn't have to "put his back into it" or get "his hands dirty" :)

Doug Holloway

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 12:06:03 pm »
Hi guys

It's the usual confusion about takings and earnings.

A contractor with 50K worth of kit is going to charge more than one with 5 but will either be a lot quicker or better or both.

I don't watch rogue traders because it is very amatuerish.

Cheers

Doug

AshWhite

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 12:46:58 pm »
Hi guys

It's the usual confusion about takings and earnings.

A contractor with 50K worth of kit is going to charge more than one with 5 but will either be a lot quicker or better or both.

I don't watch rogue traders because it is very amatuerish.

Cheers

Doug

Like the difference between CCers with a portie, Vs truckmounts, you mean?

On that bombshell, I'm off out :)
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Doug Holloway

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 01:06:28 pm »
Hi Ash

That could be an example but most of these so called experts have little idea of running a business or what's involved.

Look at the guy who was the expert on the CC one, didn't have a clue!

Cheers

Doug

Richard Basey-Fisher

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 01:09:36 pm »
i have been spending the cleaning out the back yard shoved all the crap in the shed hope the mrs has not got  hidden camera . 

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 01:14:57 pm »
I think the difference is for these 1000 pound a day carpet Cleaners like Doug , Mike , and Shaun  is they do several jobs a day and have to find at least 4 customers.

A Garden Contractor Brings in a Guy at £7 an hour and Charges £350

I doubt if many of us would be happy paying a tradesperson more than £150 for Gardening

Helen

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 01:37:25 pm »
I doubt if many of us would be happy paying a tradesperson more than £150 for Gardening

Why? Is it because gardening is easy, if so do it yourself.

Likewise carpet cleaning easy enough and cheap enough to hire a machine if you really wanted to, and have the time to spend all day doing an 18x12 when a professional with the gear can do it in an hour.

As it turns out our back garden is on quite a slope and we want to get it more level. The question is do I (a) spend two weeks with a shovel, pickaxe and barrow or (b) pay someone £1000 to get it done in 3 days using industrial machinery and knowledge of drainage etc

And this is what Joe Public and his TV rep doesn't understand >:(

Mike Halliday

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 02:03:32 pm »
2 examples of peoples different idea to what is a reasonable price...

I'm doing an office next week  for £650, the woman arranging it asked us to come in at 4.30pm an then the cleaners can lock up when we finish at 7.30pm.....she was happy to pay £650 for just 3hrs work

last monday i did a job for my minimum charge of £65, it was a phone quote for just a small kitchen so said i would do some small stains so i   'would give them their moneys worth' when i turned up they had a big list of what they wanted me to do including 4 dining chairs, i said there was a morning work there, to which he said with a stupid look on his face....yea??? .......he thought for £65 i would work for the full morning

benny d

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 02:37:08 pm »
Takings are vanity...profits are sanity... ;)
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 03:06:35 pm »
He was only expressing a view, so what.

Simon

but when he is introduced as an 'expert' then his view is seen as  'fact' and he was stating facts  "a days work should not cost more than £350"
So what? I don't see how you think people will take the slightest notice of him, let alone remember what he said for more than a minute.

Simon

Craigp

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 04:28:25 pm »
Bankers earn £1000 an hour, but the BBC are not secretly filming them to see if they have earned it! >:(

Oh it's ok for them because it's performance related pay.

What about the top BBC executives what's their day rate?

wynne jones

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 04:52:53 pm »
What get me is when you invest 1000's on kit and training to get results more quickly only to have someone sniff at you when they work out what you have earned per hour. Yet a Karcher Boy could spend 3 times as long, get a worse results yet custy thinks it's a fair rate for his time.

It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Paul H

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 05:28:55 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D benny d ... love that saying.. takings vanity ...profits sanity... good old duncan b saying! ;D ;D ;D...

Robert Watson

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 05:46:02 pm »
Turnovers vanity, profits sanity, cash is reality. ;)
The Kitchen Door Centre