Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dave archer

mattress cleaning
« on: January 18, 2012, 07:59:37 pm »
Hi I'm new to carpet and upholstery cleaning and would like some advice on how to clean a mattress using HW extraction . I am using Extracta products  can i use c2 Super Chem on a mattress in the same way i would clean a sofa or should I pre spray with a bio-enzyme product prior to extraction? Any thoughts appreciated

Dave

steven Banks

Re: mattress cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:14:25 pm »
UV is the way to go  ;)  Hwe is'nt really effective, Try a forum search as this has been covered many times.

John Kelly

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:15:16 pm »
Mattresses are a nightmare and it is difficult to get any kind of decent result on them. This is due to the composition of both the face material and the stuffing.
The staining is usually body fluids, sweat, urine etc.
You are best off using an acid based product such as cotton cleaner as the staining will be acid rather than alkaline. Reducing agents such as spray n Go can reduce the stains as well.
Beware of over wetting as I have seen severe rust stains where the operator has over wet and caused moisture to come into contact with the interior springs.
Best to dry off with an airmover before you leave.
Pre-vaccing with a good vacuum cleaner or Hunter vac will remove a lot of the loose debris prior to wet cleaning.

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 08:27:13 pm »
HWE can create so many problems if not done correctly. Should you go down the HWE method route vaccuuming is essenscial and use acidic rinse using fine spray upholstery tool. I have changed the pressure hose on an old Prochem fine upholstery cleaning tool so it can clean using steam using a steam mate. Drying with blower is essencial (A MUST) to prevent bacteria and mould forming.

pete jones

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 08:41:41 pm »
 Get some of this on ebay item no 220884705387

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:46:09 pm »
Amazes me how we use EBAY. Wish I had come up with that idea. Mind you... wouldn't be cleaning carpets if I did.

Craigp

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 08:59:16 pm »
DO NOT attempt to get into mattress cleaning, the reasons for this are,

1. The water marks/stains from body fluids will rarely ( if ever) be removed from these fabrics, leading to disappointed customer.

2. It's disgusting.

3. There's no market for it.

;D

peter maybury

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 11:49:03 pm »
If you are ever going to do work for any of the major hotel chains..... You need to become proficient at matress cleaning........... But who wants to bother with those troublesome major contracts?????????????
Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

dave archer

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 06:08:45 am »
Thanks everyone for all your quick and useful replies, think i will stay clear of mattresses and concentrate on carpets i dont need the problems mentioned  i'm likely to run into especially just when i'm starting up and trying to build up a business.
                                                         Thanks Dave

Craigp

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 08:47:29 am »
If you are ever going to do work for any of the major hotel chains..... You need to become proficient at matress cleaning........... But who wants to bother with those troublesome major contracts?????????????
Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

Not me. Really. Happy with my domestic work.

Btw I was told by an ex mattress cleaning franchisee that mattresses should NEVER be wet cleaning due to the padding taking to long to dry and therefore mould grow which can be a serious risk to health.

Craigp

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 08:55:32 am »
I thought hotel chains use waterproof protective covers?

Just reread some of the above posts i agree if you do wet clean use minimal moisture and a drier.

Jim_77

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 05:54:44 pm »
No hotel I've slept in recently has used those pi$$-the-bed crinkly plastic mattress covers!!

I don't know what all the fuss is about.  Mattresses are easy to clean and as long as you know what you're doing there's no danger of screwing it up.  I'm doing one tomorrow for a dust mite allergy sufferer.  Also doing a few rugs for him, and by the time I've got the rugs finished the mattress will be touch dry, ready to be used again a few hours later.

John Kelly

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 06:10:49 pm »
as long as you know what you're doing

Exactly Jim, as with anything.

Craigp

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 06:51:12 pm »
Their a bit more advanced than that these days Jim, they don't crinkle and are breathable, you wouldnt know they are there.

Jim_77

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 09:19:19 pm »
In which case there's not a problem cleaning them surely ;D