Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Seymour Sunshine

Re: Have TM..... earn peanuts
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 11:13:35 pm »
How do you put o the little 2 on m2 ??

You write m2 and then you highlight the 2 and click the box marked sup. This stands for superscript and means ABOVE WRITTEN super = above, script = written

Clicking the box puts in the code {sup} before the 2 and {/sup} after it (except with square brackets, not curly ones.)

So it looks like m2.
Banjo players are sent from heaven ... to make drummers look good.

Jim_77

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 11:28:40 pm »

gwrightson

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 03:34:58 am »
Times certainly have changed, everywhere you look. At the moment, the lack of confidence in the economy is amplified because it's January.

Sometimes it's easy to think you're backed into a corner and you MUST offer your bottom line prices, or else the prospect is sure to shop elsewhere... This is what I reckon your TM C/C has probably thought.

The truth of the matter is, who on earth can afford to have their carpets cleaned, having just forked out large amounts of cash on Christmas?

Sure, there are some customers who seem to manage, but in the main, people are skint...

I actually disagree with this  Colin , only last night  i priced a job in a b/b , i do not  do offers just because its Jan , and i do not lower my price if i know other quotes are been sought.   i went in at full price , booked in the job ;D , yhis along with 2 more bookings and  2 appointments for today. jan is actually turning out  to be a good month, and by coinidence, i had been talking to m halliday earlier , who i believe has a full book almost for this month.
I  do however have a theory.......   people are not skint, not the sort of people who tend to have their carpets cleaned any way, but importantly ,  the  good ,mild weather we have been having makes all the difference, imho this is the factor to take into account , not the fact  its jan :) 

Whilst on the subject i noticed lots of people concered about quoting against others, made me think !!!!
How many times do you quote, and know your up against other quotes?   
in my experience, a very small perecentage  are getting more than 1 quote, and if  how ever they are getting numerous,im not really sure i want the job..... :-\

geoff

Some of the more experienced C/C's will have plenty of work on because they have been in the game long enough to avoid the customer drought....

We'll all be busy bees again in a couple of months, wondering what all the fuss was about. Trust me... ;)
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Colin Day

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 08:10:33 am »
"Sure, there are some customers who seem to manage, but in the main, people are skint..."

That`s a bad mindset Colin.
Okay, there`s money in Edinburgh where I work, but if you start thinking like that, Brrrrrrrrrrrr

I don't understand what you're getting at... Were you and Geoff at the same party last night..? ;D

It's nothing to do with mindset, that's the way it is, lots and lots of people are waiting for pay day. Some of my regulars, have been awaiting their fate with yet more redundancies from the Navy. So perhaps it's geographical too.... ???

I put out a special offer via email and have had over a dozen replies... a few of them said "We're skint because of Christmas" and some even asked if I would accept post dated cheques.

Like I've said to Geoff, I'm not doing too bad because I was expecting Jan to be poor so I planned for it. Sure, the sun and mild weather we've had has had the phone ringing, so weather has a large part to play too.

Craigp

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 08:54:43 am »
Thanks
 :)

Jim_77

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 05:03:31 pm »
Colin, I agree with Rab, you're making the mistake that a lot of people make by thinking your customers think like you do.... not all customers are impoverished carpet cleaners like us!!

There's a very large proportion of the population who DON'T live hand-to-mouth every month (as you suggest) worrying about money and wishing pay day would come sooner... it really doesn't matter to them if they spend a couple of hundred £ on something this month, next month or last month.  They have enough money to cover it.

I suppose it all boils down to the sector of the market we aim at.  I aim at mid to high level; you don't see me on many terraced streets and council estates but I'll go if they pay my price!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2012, 05:50:38 pm »
Perhaps it's where Colin lives, when I went to Cornwall last year at this time is was shut up for the winter break may be some of us who aren't tourist destinations can keep busy all year round.

Shaun from Sheffield by the sea

garybristow

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2012, 06:01:19 pm »
My advice is concentrate on your own business and dont waste your energy on what others are doing,
the customer does not give a toss what equip you have,they just want a clean carpet.i do some jobs with my portable when and  i cant use the tm,the job will still be great.
gary

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2012, 06:09:18 pm »
My advice is concentrate on your own business and dont waste your energy on what others are doing,
the customer does not give a toss what equip you have,they just want a clean carpet.i do some jobs with my portable when and  i cant use the tm,the job will still be great.
gary

Got to agree with you, well said.

Colin Day

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2012, 06:55:24 pm »
gary

Got to agree with you, well said.

Gary's got a point... :)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2012, 07:09:15 pm »

or what i think is more important what others say they are doing.

all we can do is read what other posts and believe  what they say are doing or charging,

and i'm getting more amused by the day how people say one thing then the next month totally contradict whet they said previously, the problem with talking waffle  is you need a good memory
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

tomsy

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2012, 07:34:49 pm »
Perhaps it's where Colin lives, when I went to Cornwall last year at this time is was shut up for the winter break may be some of us who aren't tourist destinations can keep busy all year round.

As an example, I did a job just before Xmas in a beautiful little cove with about 20 or so houses overlooking a picturesque river.  This is where the money is. But at this time of year, only TWO properties were occupied - all the rest were second homes and most don't start coming down from the "Smoke" until after Easter.

Helen

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2012, 07:46:01 pm »

or what i think is more important what others say they are doing.

all we can do is read what other posts and believe  what they say are doing or charging,

and i'm getting more amused by the day how people say one thing then the next month totally contradict whet they said previously, the problem with talking waffle  is you need a good memory

You (in general) sure do......  ;D ;D

It also amuses me that on forums, that threads can become like chinese whispers and end up nothing to do with the original post. An observation, or something that you find unusual, then becomes "your moaning", your worried", my machines better than yours and all that, your not professional etc etc.  ;D ;D

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2012, 09:05:06 pm »
Too true  ;) All I say if I can see it, then the customer can see, it doesnt matter what type of machine you got or how much you charge, the customer is not interested in anything apart from the results.

A true professional knows this. If its good enough for me then its good enough for them, and I never lower my standards. ;D

Colin Day

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2012, 09:32:06 pm »

As an example, I did a job just before Xmas in a beautiful little cove with about 20 or so houses overlooking a picturesque river.  This is where the money is. But at this time of year, only TWO properties were occupied - all the rest were second homes and most don't start coming down from the "Smoke" until after Easter.

He's right.... I did 2 chairs yesterday down at Coverack at someone's second home... The place was dead.... :-\