Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jasonl

Re: Have TM..... earn peanuts
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 05:50:15 pm »
Jason have you made a mistake there? £50 per van BEFORE office and marketing?

But anyway £150 Gross per day, per van. Thats nowhere near enough! fuel, wages, chemicals machine and van repairs/consumables would soon swallow all that up.

Each man pays his own fuel and chems and a levy for the van which is £500 a week , some days each van does £300 , £150 IS A QUIET  DAY.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Mike Halliday

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 05:52:09 pm »
what company is it?
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

jasonl

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 05:58:40 pm »
Atlas in Nottingham been trading since the 70s
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Craigp

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 06:29:44 pm »
The techs pay the fuel and a levy, interesting, wonder how that works on paper.

That's not a criticism, I'm curious.

Is the profit for the Boss just from the levy? Does the customer pay the techs? Are the techs self employed?

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 07:07:04 pm »
This is an example of how with the right equipment, in this case a Tm, you can charge what a lot of people consider a very low price but still make good money. Having said that I wouldn't have done it at that price, but if I was quite.....who knows.

Simon

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 07:44:43 pm »
Ok you've had your say!
Where did this idea it would take 3 hours come from?
The other carpet cleaner I mentioned runs a TM and reckoned it would be an all day job to do it properly. I was planning using LM and believe me 2 of us would have been lucky to get that done in 3 hours.
The one who got the job works on his own these days.

So let's forget the idea that this guy on his own would do it in 3 hours therefore earning £60 an hour.

What I find strange out of the comments is the total change around to only 12-18 months ago whereby you were saying "We were professional people doing a professional job, with correct solutions, training, correct equipment etc and therefore our service is worth more than £12/hour."
Oh how times have changed :o

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 08:04:55 pm »
Me????

Not you (SG) personally but You collectively (CIU)  :)

Colin Day

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 08:09:39 pm »
Times certainly have changed, everywhere you look. At the moment, the lack of confidence in the economy is amplified because it's January.

Sometimes it's easy to think you're backed into a corner and you MUST offer your bottom line prices, or else the prospect is sure to shop elsewhere... This is what I reckon your TM C/C has probably thought.

The truth of the matter is, who on earth can afford to have their carpets cleaned, having just forked out large amounts of cash on Christmas?

Sure, there are some customers who seem to manage, but in the main, people are skint...

Some of the more experienced C/C's will have plenty of work on because they have been in the game long enough to avoid the customer drought....

We'll all be busy bees again in a couple of months, wondering what all the fuss was about. Trust me... ;)

Craigp

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 08:24:36 pm »
I agree Neil, easy a days work, I'd have a helper with me on that too.

PS that's 3,300 square foot! Approx an area of 15 lounge carpets I believe.

3hrs.....  ???

peter maybury

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 08:53:40 pm »
300 square mtrs for me would aquate to a few hours work. Very often on large contracts £70 -£80 per hour is what the norm would be for our machine and 2 good switched on productive guys. If I was quoting to a new customer, knowing that I was quoting against others I would quite often go in very keen just for the opportunity to show the customer what I can achieve.
If you lost the customer in the future they would then have a comparison to see the quality they lost for the money they saved.
The trick is to stay busy and keep the money coming in. There are loads of guys on here who think they can earn £100 + per hour with not very good equipment and limited experience and skill. South Wales is very competitive with a lot of good well equipped people along with hundreds of badly equipped badly skilled people.
Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

Billy Russell

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 08:58:21 pm »
i tend to agree with Peter " Big ears" Maybury!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2012, 09:01:29 pm »
Atlas in Nottingham been trading since the 70s

Is that Craig who runs that Jason ??

Robert Watson

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 09:16:14 pm »
"Sure, there are some customers who seem to manage, but in the main, people are skint..."

That`s a bad mindset Colin.
Okay, there`s money in Edinburgh where I work, but if you start thinking like that, Brrrrrrrrrrrr
The Kitchen Door Centre

PaulKing

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 09:21:09 pm »
i'd do 3 hours for £180 in jan, wouldn't you ?

my tm i'd get thru 300 sq meter in 3 hours but probably have a break as well, if you don't like Truck mounts fine say so and be done.
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2012, 09:36:11 pm »
I do like TM's and if I could justify the costs I'd get one (but we've already had that debate/vote), but another experienced TM'er said it was the best part of a day's work to do properly on his own.
The one who got it works on his own too, so either 2 of us are dead slow at our work or the one works at break neck speed.

What I find strange out of this topic is that if it had been titled:
What would you charge to do 300 sq/m of quality hotel carpet I bet no one would have said £160  >:(

Jim_77

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 09:47:28 pm »
Exactly, it would be £180 ;D

To be honest it depends on things like access, distance from the van and whether the 300m² is one big square room or a labyrinth of different areas on different levels.

On that cruise ship job with Simon recently, I blitzed through about 500m² in 3 hours with an RX-20, had a little bit of help with the hoses but plenty of hold-ups too.  And it wasn't a big empty square, it was a ship's restaurant, no big open areas... all the tables are stood on permanent metal legs attached to the floor, and the friggin chairs were all turned upside down so you struggled to get the RX underneath them!  (even broke a shoe off my RX hitting a table leg but that's another story)

I've got a commercial job that's 180m² and takes me 4-5hrs depending on how many football fields full of crud have been dragged through it this time.  That was a revelation the first time I cleaned it with the RX and truckmount!  I'd been making excuses before :)

Anyway I'm rambling :)

Craigp

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2012, 10:17:08 pm »
How do you put o the little 2 on m2 ??

AshWhite

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2012, 10:57:31 pm »
Highlight your text and click the sup box on the top
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

AshWhite

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 11:02:11 pm »
Exactly, it would be £180 ;D

To be honest it depends on things like access, distance from the van and whether the 300m² is one big square room or a labyrinth of different areas on different levels.

On that cruise ship job with Simon recently, I blitzed through about 500m² in 3 hours with an RX-20, had a little bit of help with the hoses but plenty of hold-ups too.  And it wasn't a big empty square, it was a ship's restaurant, no big open areas... all the tables are stood on permanent metal legs attached to the floor, and the friggin chairs were all turned upside down so you struggled to get the RX underneath them!  (even broke a shoe off my RX hitting a table leg but that's another story)

I've got a commercial job that's 180m² and takes me 4-5hrs depending on how many football fields full of crud have been dragged through it this time.  That was a revelation the first time I cleaned it with the RX and truckmount!  I'd been making excuses before :)

Anyway I'm rambling :)

You don't normally let that stop you, Jim?  :P
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk