Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

chrisjohn

Sub Contracting Advice
« on: January 12, 2012, 06:34:12 pm »
I was called up a few weeks ago by a cleaner asking if I could supply a quote for some office cleaning.(This guy doesn't clean carpets by the way).Gave him the price and he then contacted the office company with the quote.Didn't hear anything for a couple of weeks,until today he called me to say it looks like we can go ahead.

Now I dont know this cleaner,but explained to him today that we need to go and have a look at the carpets etc etc.No problem.

How does the whole sub-contracting thing work.Obviously my concern is that after the work is done,whats to stop this guy (whom Im sure is trustworthy),doing a runner with my cash.

Any tips & advice would be great.

Chris

Simon@arenaclean

Re: Sub Contracting Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 09:34:16 pm »
just some quick points, it all depends on how formal you want to be. Some are happy with a spit and handshake!

Find out as much as you can about your client. After you've had a look do a formal quotation and get signed acceptance you will need to ensure who you are working for, and what your terms of business are. This is really important because you need to know who is responsible. If you consider there is a risk suggest you invoice the company direct and pay your contact a comission.

Make clear your expectations and concerns.

make your terms and conditions clear and add "all work is subject to our terms and conditions, these terms may not be altered either by order or verbally unless agreed in writing and signed by........... prior to work commencing"

Ask if you will need to do a risk assessment, might be worth doing it anyway.

Be prepared to wait for payment. When ever i've sub contracted work out i consider it's my responsibility to pay the sub, and I do, even before i've been paid if that's whats agreed. It's your descison and is a judgment call.

It may be considered over cautious but when you are dealing with large sums it's always best to get it straight from the start so everyone knows where they are.

Don't proceed if you're not happy. Nothing worse than doing a job you wish you had not taken on.

As long as it's all amicable you will be fine.

Good Luck

Kirk Lee

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:37:40 pm »
Tell the guy you want cash at completion of job as it is the first time you have had dealings with him. Look at his money before you start. If it does not feel right, walk.

Jim_77

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:41:20 am »
You submitted a price... and then want to go and have a look at the job ???

???

clinton

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:58:23 am »
I would go and have a look at the job chris.

Its the usual it aint a really dirty carpet that they tell you.

The job sometimes takes longer on the first clean as you want to make a good impression with the client.

peter maybury

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:45:18 am »
If you have given a price before seeing the job I think you have already started of in an unprofessional manner.
I am telling you now that if you demand cash from a cleaning company before they have been paid then you will be doing very little subcontracting work. I would guess that people that are giving you that advice are not doing a lot themselves.
You need to submit a comprhensive quotation to the main contractor (this needs to be done because anybody who does not do carpet cleaning themselves will not know the correct terminology to use to get the job in the first place). Like wise risk assesment and method statement need to be submitted so main contractor can submit under his name. You then need to discuss payment cetails and obtain a written order from the main contactor. To cover your back you then need to get a satisfaction note signed from the customer when works are complete. I would always like to meet the customer myself before making any quotations to make sure they ubnderstand what is involved.
Leave nothing to chance. In the quotation make any provisos regarding stains wear areas etc in writing before doing any work.

Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

chrisjohn

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 03:33:33 pm »
Really helpful answers everyone.Lots to think about,but at least ive got some solid advice

Many thanks

Chris