This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

greenhouse heaters
« on: January 11, 2012, 09:14:58 pm »
 Hi to all my fellow window technicians does anyone use these in the big freeze & are they expensive to run as you all know its gonna come this frost but hopefully shouldnt be with us to long cant believe were in winter at the mo its been like spring down here should be warming up in a few months !!!!!! would be nice if the winter was like this every year wouldnt you say !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: greenhouse heaters
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 06:53:39 am »
haven't had to use mine yet! they normally only need to be turned to frost setting, so only kick in now and then really. last year tho had to turn it pretty high to keep unfrozen tho.

not sure how much cost tho, but shouldn't n too much as don't need heat high, helps if van is insulated and ply lined to keep heat from escaping.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 04:06:18 pm »
cheers As will try & get onje from B&Q  ;D

Ian101

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 04:14:28 pm »
IMHO greenhouse heaters are crap ..... fill van with black soot and puny output ... better off with summit like this

http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/heating/heaters/heaters/Blyss-2kW-Convector-Heater-11787527

only a problem if u have no access to electric of course

I never need to put mine on more than the lower settings even in the minus 15 we had last year 2010

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 05:39:53 pm »
perhaps I should clarify?

its called a greenhouse heater, it's a little electric fan heater (in green of course lol), that runs off electric.

apologies if I misunderstood! it says green house heater on side, got it from local garden center, about 15 quid if remember.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 07:59:30 pm »
cheers chaps I bought the gardman one from B&Q not sure if it will be any good will try it Sunday night as think were getting frost next week !!!!!!! £21 !!!!!!

simonr

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:17:13 pm »
been thinking of getting something like this     but surely it means havin to leave a window open enough to get the cable through so doesnt that defeat the object or do you stick a towel in the gap or what ??????????

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 07:17:28 am »
I just shut mine in the door seal, didn't seem to damage cable if put it in right place.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 07:41:48 am »
They are crap, buy a decent oil fill rad.

simonr

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 04:28:16 pm »
I just shut mine in the door seal, didn't seem to damage cable if put it in right place.
ok cheers

geefree

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 04:34:22 pm »
I agree with sb, they are useless, an oil filled radiator on a timer are brilliant and cheap to run, set it for one hour on , one off.

Roy Cauldery

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 04:34:49 pm »
Hi all
Steer clear of those portable ones that use parrafin- leave a truly nasty smell in van and black soot every where >:(
Echo other posts and go for one that is mains operated if you can, with a thermostat
You should be able to close the lead through the rear doors as the rubber seal will flex enough to accept it

Heres to a lovely summer - cant come soon enough , but cant complain too much after last winter!! ;) ;)

regards

Roy Cauldery
we succeed because others can't or won't