Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

davep

Colin Day

Re: Inline waste filters
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 08:23:37 pm »
You CAN use the hydro-filter on a porty. I use one when I'm using the auto-dump on the Jag and it's spot on... :)

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 08:57:16 pm »

Russ Chadd

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 10:58:35 pm »
Lint hog for me too... use it on my Jag and it really saves me time not having to clean out all the crud out of my extraction tank after each job

john martin

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 11:15:26 pm »

The poor design of the Jag/scorpion waste tank has a lot to do with the need for an inline ...  :)

Jim_77

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 01:51:39 am »
John I can't wait for the new range of portables you've designed.  Honestly, you talk such a good game... put me on the waiting list please.  I'll PM you my credit card details now, you can take the full amount of money because I'm so confident from your forum posts you are going to wipe the floor with all the existing competition.... 2 years from now the whole carpet cleaning industry worldwide will be using John Martin portables!

To answer the original question...

Depends what you mean by "any good" Dave!  Does it filter all the solid debris out of the recovered solution?  Of course, very well in fact.  However after a couple of hundred square feet of wool carpet you'll start wondering where all your airflow has gone.  On a decent sized domestic job you might have to stop and empty it twice during the job.  Major pain in the ass.

Not so bad on polyprop/nylon obviously, except if you're doing a job where they have never vacuumed.  Obviously with any filter the more fluff/debris you pick up the worse your airflow gets...  but this effect seems a lot greater with the inline type filters compared to the basket in the TM waste tank

The "sock" part is a bit of a git to clean except for if you give it a good blast with a pressure gun.  I know some guys buy cheap stockings and just chuck them away but I think that's a bit expensive, pointless and not very eco friendly!!  Plus the denier of stockings is a lot finer than the filter mesh so it must hammer the airflow.

I bought one soon after I got my TM.  I persevered with it for a while but went back to using the strainer basket in the tank.  Sometimes just don't even bother with the basket, just means jetting the crud out of the bottom of the tank at the end of the day.

Colin Day

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 08:20:09 am »

The poor design of the Jag/scorpion waste tank has a lot to do with the need for an inline ...  :)

Utter crap.

Out of all the machines I have used, the Jag is the easiest to clean out....

Simply take the bung off and the 2 'U' bend float chambers off the top of the stack pipes and you can get right in there with an open ended hose...

The inside of the tank is designed in such a way that fluff and debris is directed to the bottom of the tank which avoids the filters becoming blocked.

I think you should just buy a Jag, John. You'll not get a better machine, fact....

JandS

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 10:40:03 am »
Sounds like a lot of fannying about.
I just open the drain valve on the Ninja
and Bob's your uncle.
Short length from pump outlet and use
any excess cleaning solution to swill out.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Colin Day

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 10:54:50 am »
Sounds like a lot of fannying about.
I just open the drain valve on the Ninja
and Bob's your uncle.
Short length from pump outlet and use
any excess cleaning solution to swill out.

John

It's really not to be honest.

I am a bit OCD admittedly, when it comes to keeping my machine clean....  ;D

kevin brown

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 12:00:09 pm »
John I can't wait for the new range of portables you've designed.  Honestly, you talk such a good game... put me on the waiting list please.  I'll PM you my credit card details now, you can take the full amount of money because I'm so confident from your forum posts you are going to wipe the floor with all the existing competition.... 2 years from now the whole carpet cleaning industry worldwide will be using John Martin portables!

To answer the original question...

Depends what you mean by "any good" Dave!  Does it filter all the solid debris out of the recovered solution?  Of course, very well in fact.  However after a couple of hundred square feet of wool carpet you'll start wondering where all your airflow has gone.  On a decent sized domestic job you might have to stop and empty it twice during the job.  Major pain in the ass.

Not so bad on polyprop/nylon obviously, except if you're doing a job where they have never vacuumed.  Obviously with any filter the more fluff/debris you pick up the worse your airflow gets...  but this effect seems a lot greater with the inline type filters compared to the basket in the TM waste tank

The "sock" part is a bit of a git to clean except for if you give it a good blast with a pressure gun.  I know some guys buy cheap stockings and just chuck them away but I think that's a bit expensive, pointless and not very eco friendly!!  Plus the denier of stockings is a lot finer than the filter mesh so it must hammer the airflow.

I bought one soon after I got my TM.  I persevered with it for a while but went back to using the strainer basket in the tank.  Sometimes just don't even bother with the basket, just means jetting the crud out of the bottom of the tank at the end of the day.

I am using Hydro filters and got much impressed with the answer that Jim Neal has given to you. Now this is what I can call, absolutely spot on.

JandS

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 12:43:15 pm »
I clean the waste tank after every job.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Colin Day

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 02:51:18 pm »
I clean the waste tank after every job.

John

So do I, and I wipe properly too.....  :P

Colin Day

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 03:13:20 pm »
I only asked if the filter is any good!  :P

Yes, it is....

mark shannon

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 03:52:41 pm »
Dave persevered with mine for a year major pain in the arse restricts airflow badly. Been filter-less for a year with no problems.

Cant for the life of me see the point of putting a filter on a Scorpion as you need all the airflow you can get on a porty however good.

Colin Day

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 05:42:31 pm »
Dave persevered with mine for a year major pain in the arse restricts airflow badly. Been filter-less for a year with no problems.

Cant for the life of me see the point of putting a filter on a Scorpion as you need all the airflow you can get on a porty however good.

The reason I use one with the Jag, is so that when I'm using auto-dump, debris doesn't foul the filter :)

john martin

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 09:35:39 pm »

The poor design of the Jag/scorpion waste tank has a lot to do with the need for an inline ...  :)

Utter crap.

Simply take the bung off and the 2 'U' bend float chambers off the top of the stack pipes and you can get right in there with an open ended hose...

The inside of the tank is designed in such a way that fluff and debris is directed to the bottom of the tank which avoids the filters becoming blocked.

I think you should just buy a Jag, John. You'll not get a better machine, fact....

:) Surely you guys don't fall that old spiel that the tank is designed intentionally not to fully empty when the waste gate is open ..
Its clearly a design flaw , an oversight , and the side bung is a band aid solution to the issue .
For anyone not familiar , the jag/scorp waste gate sits an inch above the tank floor , thus leaving an inch of rancid waste , fluff in the bottom after emptying .

Compare this to well designed waste tank , where the machine will rake a few degrees towards the gate side and the tank floor has a small recess before the gate so as the gate sits below the floor level  , all you should ever have to do is open the gate and occasionally rince quickly with the solution hose and a small hosetail .

also in the jag  :)  those turned down stacks with floats below as a level cutoff dont work ...
and the downturned stacks are prone to sucking in foam at a lower level
its a poor solution compared to running the stacks straight up to near the lid top and using an electronic float  switch for cutoff .
Actually now that i read the cleantalk posts  :) i see that john bolton ( isnt he a technical adviser ?) has removed the downturned stacks from his own machine and has no cutoff ... as an improvement !  

peter maybury

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 10:01:42 pm »
If you have a truckmount it is a good idea to have a filter basket made I had one made by hydramaster and also bought an extra flter basket. On large jobs we are able to change the filter without losing any downtime on the machine and just jet it out the dirty filter whist the machine continues working.
I did have an inline filter  and it was a pain in the butt, I do however do volume areas of wool carpets so was loosing a lot of air flow in a short space of time.
I did try filterless for a few weeks but again this did not work for me as I was getting a lot of blockages when emptying. The basket box has been a sensible investment for me and well worth the outlay. As a busy person that needs to be productive anything that save me time is money well spent. In addition to saving time the stess that is put onto the truckmount engine by restricting the airflow can be costly.
Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

Jim_77

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 10:46:00 pm »
I only asked if the filter is any good!

Yes, it is....

No, it isn't....

:)

Colin Day

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 10:51:01 pm »

Utter crap.

:) Surely you guys don't fall that old spiel that the tank is designed intentionally not to fully empty when the waste gate is open ..
Its clearly a design flaw , an oversight , and the side bung is a band aid solution to the issue .
For anyone not familiar , the jag/scorp waste gate sits an inch above the tank floor , thus leaving an inch of rancid waste , fluff in the bottom after emptying .

Compare this to well designed waste tank , where the machine will rake a few degrees towards the gate side and the tank floor has a small recess before the gate so as the gate sits below the floor level  , all you should ever have to do is open the gate and occasionally rince quickly with the solution hose and a small hosetail .

also in the jag  :)  those turned down stacks with floats below as a level cutoff dont work ...
and the downturned stacks are prone to sucking in foam at a lower level
its a poor solution compared to running the stacks straight up to near the lid top and using an electronic float  switch for cutoff .
Actually now that i read the cleantalk posts  :) i see that john bolton ( isnt he a technical adviser ?) has removed the downturned stacks from his own machine and has no cutoff ... as an improvement !  

Compared to the problems I have found with other machines, either from experience or from listening to feedback from other users, I see the flaws you give the Jaguar can be easily over-come. You have almost endorsed the Jag yourself.... ;)

I know for example, the design flaws of certain other machines will ensure that the operator better have plenty of spare lolly, for spare motors.... :-X

I will say this, those that have Jags/Scorps, tend to stick with them. That in itself speaks volumes... :)