Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Russ Chadd

Yell!!!???
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:25:22 am »
What is everyone's thoughts on advertising with yell.com?
I have experienced very poor service so far, cock up after cock up regarding setting up the account, being billed a different figure than what was agreed, being billed for two active accounts when there should only be one and having my video rejected after waiting 3 weeks for it to be uploaded.
And to top it all the phone has not rang once with a yell.com enquiry since the add went live at the  beginning of Nov.

What would you do in my position?

Cheers

Russ

Graeme Smith

Re: Yell!!!???
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:23:36 am »
Get rid of yell asap but I don't think they will let you get of a contract once signed. Generally yell does not work, the book might be useful for a point of reference i.e. previous customer looking for your business name. Some would say do not bother full stop.

I never generated much out of yell.com. I live in Holmfirth near Huddersfield, Huddersfield being the HD post code Holmfirth falls under
I wanted to picked up on search's by people typing in 'carpet cleaner Huddersfield' or 'carpet cleaner Holmfirth'. Looked on the site after signing up and found that that I did not appear under a search for Huddersfield as Yell said my actual postal town was Holmfirth the whole post coded area is not large HD1 to HD9 and I was cut out of 8 of these straight off.
Probably an avoidable mistake on my part but you have signed on the dotted line with these people before you get a taste of what's to come.

Good luck!

Colin Day

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:56:12 am »
I'd sooner bin them and just gamble the money on a horse, you have a better chance of a return for your cash.... ;D

M.Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 01:28:08 pm »
Currently got my new rep stalking me constantly,wanting to arrange a meeting,new and exciting things happening apparently !! Have had a new rep every year since starting with them 8 years ago,have no intention of signing up to it,it's probably generated a couple of hundred £ worth of work last year,so yes,prob best to put it on a pony !!
What goes around comes around

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 01:31:36 pm »
Tony (Carpet Dawg) had some problem with Yell last year, he may be able to advise how to get out of the deal.

I leave the horses alone these days, last one I backed (1997) is still running I think

;D ;D ;D

Adam P

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 03:01:25 pm »
so if not yell do others do any other books e.g. thomson local? and what other method would people suggest? you've got website, leaflets and what?

mike roberts

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 03:22:59 pm »
Currently got my new rep stalking me constantly,wanting to arrange a meeting,new and exciting things happening apparently !! Have had a new rep every year since starting with them 8 years ago,have no intention of signing up to it,it's probably generated a couple of hundred £ worth of work last year,so yes,prob best to put it on a pony !!

Had the same prob.... funny enough one phoned me yesterday..... had some free time so went to town  ;D ;D Dont think they will ring again  ;D ;D

so if not yell do others do any other books e.g. thomson local? and what other method would people suggest? you've got website, leaflets and what?

Not in yell but we are in Thomson local as we get huuuugggee discount with FSB  ;D ;D

clinton

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 03:41:31 pm »
I wouldnt bother russ with yell mate.

Like most of thew old directories they have had there day....

Afew good web sites will generate more work.

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 04:25:13 pm »
I dumped both Yell YP and Thompsons 7 years ago.

When did you last see one in a customer's house? Years ago they would be with a directory by the phone, now they hold the door open if they are lucky- they don't even do that properly now they are half size and thinner than before- tells a tale.

And I get just as much work.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Russ Chadd

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 04:48:43 pm »
Thanks guys, the problem i have is that i have already signed up for 12 months, had the rep on the phone today to try and convince me that it was a good deal but i convinced him that when a google search for carpet cleaning in my area was made... my website appeared on the same page not 5 ads down from the sponsored ones!
Does anyone know how i can legally dump them?

CarPete Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 04:53:10 pm »
Worst thing I ever did was sign up for a year with yell.com - complete waste of £700 !!
Pete Callis
Affordable Quality
www.carpetecleaning.com
NCCA m2102

cannon

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 04:56:50 pm »
Just recieved our new yellow pages today, matched it up against last years and its about 3/4 the thickness.

On the plus side theres a hell of a lot less competition only a single page of carpet cleaners.

I was in last years book and recieved work but not even enough to cover the cost.

Adam P

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 05:42:25 pm »
russ: afaik with all contracts you get at least 7 days to cancel. so ring them tell them you've changed your mind. i did this with AA after signing up i realised i'm with RAC with my bank so next day rang up and it was all fine no charge.

Adam P

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 05:42:58 pm »
mike robets: does that mean only use thomson cos you've got a discount or would it be worth it paying full price?

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 05:45:59 pm »
If they are not keeping to their side of the contract why should you? Tell them to cancel it and call their bluff- you have nothing to lose and a fee to gain.

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 05:46:44 pm »
And a lesson for next year.

mike roberts

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 06:47:26 pm »
mike robets: does that mean only use thomson cos you've got a discount or would it be worth it paying full price?

If we didnt get the discount would not consider it for a second  ;D Ps its Roberts thks ! ;D

Liz Baker

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 07:00:42 pm »
I paid good money this year and only had one job:( won't be doong it again.
Liz Baker

"Here to Serve, Here to Clean"

homenclean

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 08:48:41 pm »
Ring Trading Standards and ask their advice, i bet they will tell you they are in breach of contract you have paid for 12 months advertising and because of their inabilities you wont or havent received this therefore they have not fullfilled their end of the agreement.

if they gave assurances when the add would go live and have not done this then again breach of contract.

Try call their bluff tell them you are no longer paying due to the above and if they wont to take legal action you are happy to see them in court and let a judge decide. Also tell them you are going to tell anyone who will listen i.e local press, cleanit up, face book etc that they are just a bunch of wasters.

Keep records of all converstions and letters you may need them latter.

Good luck.

John

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 08:57:03 pm »
russ: afaik with all contracts you get at least 7 days to cancel. so ring them tell them you've changed your mind. i did this with AA after signing up i realised i'm with RAC with my bank so next day rang up and it was all fine no charge.

welcome back again Kermit......

This just confirms your muppetry status

;D ;D ;D ;D