Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JandS

Contacts
« on: December 31, 2011, 08:09:23 pm »
Over last 2 months been slowly updating
my contact list, maybe 100 new entries plus
when last mailed etc.
Had to re formatt the computer today as it
wouldn't boot up.
Guess which silly billy forgot to save the changes
every time to his USB stick.
All to do again.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Len Gribble

Re: Contacts
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 08:41:15 pm »
Reformatting a right pain, all that reloading of software and getting it right, why not have another HD (new very expensive due to floods) and ghost it saves the pain but always have a backup of important info ;)
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

derek west

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 09:01:58 pm »
Reformatting a right pain, all that reloading of software and getting it right, why not have another HD (new very expensive due to floods) and ghost it saves the pain but always have a backup of important info ;)

are you drunk len, i understood every word of that ;D

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 09:18:34 am »
Dont rely on USB sticks!!!!

Use a cloud service AND email files to yourself.

I have lost loads of tunes I have been working on due to fails on memory sticks especially when moving from one studio to another to do work. Now I always make sure to copy to more than one stick in addition to the above.

iCloud is my new friend. So pleased Steve Jobs is up there managing my files for me.

JandS

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 11:59:38 am »
Good idea that e mailing files to yourself.

John

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 02:17:52 pm »
why? does that not just put the files in your inbox. if your computer crashes and you lose everything they are still lost,

I have just signed up to dropbox so all my files are backed up there for free as long as it is under 2gig
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

JandS

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 03:04:00 pm »
Yes Mike it puts them in your in box but
when it crashes you don't lose your e mail
account.
You just re format and log in to your isp
and your e mail is there.
Have just done it and archived the e mails.

John

Steve Chapman

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 05:47:20 pm »
I wouldn't just rely on a cloud service either, it's in effect just your files on someone else's pc, probably better to have several hard copies yourself to be on the safe side ,

Steve

Len Gribble

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 06:57:42 pm »
Derek you got it, it was so meant to be ambiguous (disk failure’s normally only the boot sector is the problem but my docs are still there somewhere :-* ;D) swap a few leads around with your ghost (image) back to normal. Wish the TM and porty was that simple|
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Phillip Mold

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 09:46:53 am »
Dont rely on USB sticks!!!!

Use a cloud service AND email files to yourself.

I have lost loads of tunes I have been working on due to fails on memory sticks especially when moving from one studio to another to do work. Now I always make sure to copy to more than one stick in addition to the above.

iCloud is my new friend. So pleased Steve Jobs is up there managing my files for me.

Brilliantly simple! so much easier than saving to a USB stick or disk, just send it to yourself each time you update it.
Thanks for that
Doing the best job in the world as well as I can

clarkson

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 02:49:05 pm »
hi
get a nas drive. i have a readynas duo it copies everything on every system in the house and makes two copies as it has two drives in a raid format. readynas also give you cloud back up so they have a copy of everything as well in case of fire etc.

takes an hour to set up and just leave it bussing. will also act as a media server for your music, photos and movies.

cheers

john

Adam P

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 03:08:46 pm »
the email idea only works if you use an email address like hotmail or virgin (which looks very very unprofessional) or if you have your emails set up to leave them on the server, which is unlikely as iirc most programs will set it to download the files locally and remove from server.

M.Acorn

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 03:32:59 pm »
Just managed to save myself hours and hours of work,bought a hard drive caddy,so I could install the SATA  drive from my dead pc,with all my work docs and contacts,luckily windows 7 saw it,and gave me access to the drive and all the stuff on it  ;D Sigh of relief,currently backing it all up 
What goes around comes around

JandS

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 03:34:58 pm »
I use Sky for home use and one linked to my
website for carpets.
Send the files to the Sky one and archive them.
There still there.

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 03:36:21 pm »
the email idea only works if you use an email address like hotmail or virgin (which looks very very unprofessional) or if you have your emails set up to leave them on the server, which is unlikely as iirc most programs will set it to download the files locally and remove from server.

I use an old aol account. I can access every backup made over the last 7 years.

Stevieoneill1967

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 08:49:57 pm »
I just disconnect my input output modulator, then increase my gigowatts and memory chrystals, then reconnect to my flux capacitor flange dongle.  Bobs your uncle, thank you very much and good night! ;D

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 08:52:18 pm »
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

wot e sed

;D ;D

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 09:00:14 pm »
Have I just wandered into a computer geek site :o
What are you lot on about... clouding this and raining that :-\