Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

steven Banks

Rotowash R4s
« on: December 24, 2011, 05:32:28 pm »
Hello,

My R4 has a problem with it's operational handle. It will operate both roller brushes when you pull the handle slightly towards you, just so the handle is vertical. If you tilt the handle any futher than that it will stop a roller brush and make a noise, sounds like something is jammed.

If anyone has had a problem like this or could help me to fix the machine,  it would be much appreciated indeed.

Many Thanks & Merry Christmas   :)

steven Banks

Re: Rotowash R4s
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 01:06:53 pm »
Is this problem uncommon?  ???

des

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 02:51:32 pm »
its probable the plastic gears on the side worn .Take the drive side off and have a look .Rotowash will come out and repair it for you .BUT i hope you have lots of money Des

des at mister clean

steven Banks

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:17:28 am »
its probable the plastic gears on the side worn .Take the drive side off and have a look .Rotowash will come out and repair it for you .BUT i hope you have lots of money Des

I took the rollers off, then re-fitted the axle bars that turn them. I then slowly rotated the front axle and it turned with ease, repeated the step with the rear axle and it did'nt turn very well and was slipping. Almost like the gears / cogs were worn as you say.

Do you know if RotoWash sell the replacement parts that i could possibly fit myself at all?

Regards,
Steve.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 11:33:27 am »
Steve try these guys very helpfull, if they have not got the parts they will point you in the right direction

http://cornwall-vacuums.co.uk/

http://www.rotowash.com/Rotowash%20contact.html
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

steven Banks

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 12:08:46 pm »
Steve try these guys very helpfull, if they have not got the parts they will point you in the right direction

http://cornwall-vacuums.co.uk/

Thanks for that Steve,  They stock the Multiwash which is more or less the same as the Rotowash. I'll give them a call.

( Love the Avatar  ;) )

des

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 05:37:08 pm »
Hi rotowash will sell them to you but i think you will have to buy all the gear cogs and its probable a good idea to get them all and replace .If one or two are worn then it will not be long before the rest go
des at mister clean

steven Banks

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:50:18 pm »
Ok, just a quick update to help anyone who may encounter the same problem in the future.

The problem i had with my rotowash R4 is drive cog gear E was worn and the plastic teeth had ground down flat by the metal main drive gear. There was plenty of plastic filings inside the drive train case as a direct result. The rest of the drive gearing is in good condition with little wear.

Drive gear E is available from Rotowash Uk for £22  :o  which is alot for what it is, but needs must. Rotowash aftersales are very helpful too.  ;)

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 12:11:46 am »
Intresting steve i have same machine makes you wonder why they use plastic teeth to go against metal :-\
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

steven Banks

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 12:30:45 am »
It's not good to combine the two. I think it's the torque from the metal drive shaft against gear E that sheers off the plastic over time. Gear E is the first gear that takes the stress and then distributes the drive to the other plastic gears, then onto the brush axles.  But they are brilliant crb aggitators far better than the sebo duo, due to the weight of the rotowash.

Seymour Sunshine

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 04:38:06 pm »
Very glad you've got it sorted. It's frustrating to have a bit of kit and then find you can't use it. Good that you sorted it yourself as well. That saved a few bob for you.

It's actually a very good idea to run plastic gears against metal. For a start, they don't need lubricating oil as metal-to-metal gears would and secondly they are much quieter. Yes, they can wear, but they are probably designed to be replaced easily (if a bit expensively!)
Banjo players are sent from heaven ... to make drummers look good.

steven Banks

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 08:39:41 pm »
Few vaild points made there, it's quite simple to repair the rotowash machine and Paul from rotowash parts is a top bloke and knows his stuff. I would certainly recommend these machines to anyone in need of a good aggitator. (If you don't mind the weight of them)