Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

john sliman

pat testing
« on: December 21, 2011, 07:16:16 pm »
how many get their electrical equipment tested and how often and what the likely cost of having this carried out would be as there would be quite a few apliances that would require testing on a cc van.
is there a log book for keeping track of this that has to be kept up to date under health and safety regulations any advice would be appreciated.
john
john sliman

Colin Day

Re: pat testing
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 07:22:47 pm »
I keep meaning to do a PAT course.. They're under £200 and I suppose you could offer it out too, when times are quiet... Not that I'm advocating being a 'Jack of All Trades' of course!!! ;D

BDCS

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 07:36:31 pm »
I suppose I am a jack of all trades and do a little Pat testing which I started to test my bouncy castle gear. Pat test is not a legal requirement but you have to ensure your kit is safe.  I did the C&G course but you can also do a competant person course but I bought a megger pat 420 as the factory is only a mile from my house and my mates missus works there and got a 40% discount - the machine does it all and prints a unique bar code which when scanned knows the asset and performs the same tests as the previous year.

http://www.electrical-health.co.uk/?p=382

http://www.megger.com/uk/products/ProductDetails.php?ID=1445

John Higgins

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 08:29:33 pm »
I keep meaning to do a PAT course.. They're under £200 and I suppose you could offer it out too, when times are quiet... Not that I'm advocating being a 'Jack of All Trades' of course!!! ;D

Done a lot of leaflets for pat testers colin these guy make very good regular income.

Colin Day

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 08:31:50 pm »

Done a lot of leaflets for pat testers colin these guy make very good regular income.

We'll have a chat in the New Year... All the best mate.... :)

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 08:37:08 pm »
Testing can cost as little as £3 or £2 per item depending on quantity to be done in one place.
A decent machine will cost in excess of £500 plus a course at £200 so it might well be worth just paying someone to do it.
It's not a legal requirement but should an accident occur you will need to prove that equipment was in a safe usable condition which can be done by PAT records, although like an MoT for vehicles it is only truely valid for the day that the test happened.

john sliman

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 08:48:53 pm »
thanks for your replies guys it has been something i have thought about several times but never looked into it further and someone had phoned today when i was on a job and my wife hadn't taken a lot of detail on it but it was relating to my equipment was it pat tested.
john sliman

Jim_77

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 08:54:53 pm »
I keep meaning to do a PAT course.. They're under £200

A pack of "passed"  labels is a lot cheaper and has exactly the same effect ;) ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAT-Test-Testing-Labels-PASSED-Strip-50-Mini-40-x-24-/150606654411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2310db2bcb

BDCS

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 09:27:41 pm »
You can get a dodgy mot but it don't mean its ok to kill a queue of school kids at a bus stop when your brakes fail  :'( I was also asked for a calibration cert for my tester by a HS bod last week.  If you bring your gear to my house I'll test it while you make the tea

Linds Russell

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 09:33:53 pm »
I got all of my gear tested last month for free. One of my letting agent customers has a qualified PAT tester and we did a deal which suited me fine.
Linds

Paul Moss

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 09:41:39 pm »
I will PAT test my own equipment next month. Its quite straight forward to do once you have bought the tester.

I went online and watched a DVD for an hour on PAT testing and then did a 30 question test online. I passed with 29 out of 30. You can then down load a certificate and off you go. They send you a Dvd out as an aid memouir and also can get help nline if you need it. I bought a decent PAT tester for just over 200 quid online including all the labels, record book etc. Job done. Now every Jan I just PAT test the stuff myself or at any other time of year if the equipment needs it ;)

Just do a google I think it cost me about 60 quid to do it. You dont even need to leave the house :)

Paul Moss

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 09:44:12 pm »
Just amended this post as I just went to have a quick look at my certificate.

This is the company i used

http://www.pat-services.co.uk/pat-testing-dvd-248.htm

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 04:29:39 pm »
Each bit of kit should have its own record card.
This keeps a check on the dates of every inspection and test.
Equipment should be visually checked at least once a month and noted. Weekly is better. This includes all cables and plugs for damage( and bits of leccy tape over scuffs!!) and swithe covers etc.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

rushe

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 04:59:29 pm »
Would it be illegal to sell equipment used with no PAT test as i am selling some old equipment off,rushe

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 05:08:18 pm »
I don't think so as long as you make it plain it is up to the buyer to ensure the equipment is safe.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Paul Moss

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 07:47:35 pm »
Each bit of kit should have its own record card.
This keeps a check on the dates of every inspection and test.
Equipment should be visually checked at least once a month and noted. Weekly is better. This includes all cables and plugs for damage( and bits of leccy tape over scuffs!!) and swithe covers etc.

Tape over scuffs is a straight fail on a PAT test