Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon Gerrard

Unbelievable!!!
« on: December 20, 2011, 07:32:20 pm »
My last job today was for a client that had just moved into a rented property. The landlord had arranged for her carpet to be cleaned by a supposedly, 'top carpet cleaner.' A woman turned up with one of those Vax machines you see on telly that looks like a hoover. She went over it for a bit and then the machine broke, spilling all of the dirty water onto the carpet and then left. Unbelievable :o

Is a Vax machine what passes for a professional piece of equipment by some in this industry ???

Simon

Mark Lawrence

Re: Unbelievable!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 07:39:24 pm »
Er. yes! I dont want to stereotype but its always the cheap end of the market and if its not them its the RD.

Most landlords are clueless and also want the cheapest of everything.

Mark

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:41:27 pm »
This guy was supposed to be top notch, or so he told the customer. :o

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:47:12 pm »
To true Mark    

Simon i get all the time that b*****  Vaxs machine.One of the local cc to be uses one all the time mate,and he works for the local estate agents.

(Richard & Tara)

wynne jones

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:12:06 pm »
This guy was supposed to be top notch, or so he told the customer. :o

Top notch marketer, would have had the cash instead of you Simon if he hadn't of screwed up.  ;D
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:50:48 pm »
Top notch marketeer or not, you still have to deliver an acceptable end product.

Simon

wynne jones

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:00:04 pm »
Top notch marketeer or not, you still have to deliver an acceptable end product.

Simon

Exactly Simon and you have a customer for life and he has to keep finding new ones until he finds something else to do.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 09:06:20 pm »
About 2 months ago a job we did had a quote from a local carpet cleaner who advertised in the local village mag and they quoted £80 for a small lounge stating that they had just bought the latest vax "you know the one you see advertised on TV... it cost £349 you know and its top of the range". The customer thought it vas abit expensive so rang us... we did it for £45 and have since done the rest of the farm house aswell.

There is also someone in Exeter using one and is cleaning with bleach in it stating his cleaning kills all known germs. I was told of this guy from a customer...she had previously used him and guess what... yep you guessed it he bleached here carpets big time. The problem was she couldnt remember his name.

garyfindlay

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:09:10 pm »
someone sprung up locally, with the same name as me, and advertised he used only quality bex bissell products. You know someone is going to be taken in by that sh!te.

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 09:13:07 pm »
no word of a lie... I have also come across a customer who once had someone turn up and clean a carpet for them with that no wet wonder foam and a roller type thing.

Colin Day

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 09:40:41 pm »
I don't feel so bad for turning up with a lowly porty, instead of a TM now..... ;D

robert meldrum

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 09:43:58 pm »
The " TRADE " periodical " Cleaning Matters " carries an advert for the VAX COMMERCIAL and this type of monthly magazine is aimed at Local Authorities and the whole spectrum of " Cleaning Businesses "

I bought the first of that type of machine when they arrived in the UK ...............the Hoover with four planet brushes powered not by an electric motor but the air flow from the vac' motor.

Apparently it was imported by the same man who originally introduced the orange Vax found in so many cupboards so long ago.

The Hoover was worse than useless but paved the way for the many overpriced machines being bought today by many who will find they can't do what a pro cleaner can do and fill the dumps with them but every one sold takes a potential job out of the market for at least one year.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 09:46:33 pm »
Colin you amateur ;D

Shaun

Colin Day

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 09:49:04 pm »
I still find that a large number of customers have either had a Vax, Bissel or rented a Rug Doctor at some stage. So having their carpets cleaned is obviously important to them and eventually they come round to hiring a pro... ;)

Colin Day

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 09:50:08 pm »

tomsy

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 10:58:32 pm »
Actually, before I saw the light and started CCing with some decent kit, I, too, had a Vax and a Bissell in succession. With four dogs and a cat in the house at various stages of senility and continence I HAD to have something!!! ;D   When the Vax/Bissell/1001 shampoo ran out I resorted to Flash or Dettol - it's amazing what you can get away with on a PP carpet!! Anywayz, they were both prone to blocking of the jets or vac chute so were both consigned to the skip. :-[

Phillip Mold

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 11:00:56 pm »
The logical response to all of these stories is to call for some kind of legislation, reminds me of the Financial services industry 30 years ago when my local chippie was an agent for a "Reputable" insurance company.

Perhaps instead we really all should form/join/support some form of trade body that has the clout to advertise on behalf of its qualified membership to do a decent job, and explain things to customers who currently know no better?

Doing the best job in the world as well as I can

Colin Day

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 11:02:48 pm »
I also had a Vax while I was still in the mob. I'd already done proper carpet cleaning for a business up in the Lakes so I knew how to clean carpets and the Vax did do the trick with ok ish reesults, albeit after a good few hours work.

tomsy

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 11:06:00 pm »
P'raps we should have another poll? - "Closet/previous Vax owners -yes/no"

Colin Day

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 11:17:20 pm »
P'raps we should have another poll? - "Closet/previous Vax owners -yes/no"

;D

I use mine as a back up.....

I'm joking.... ;D ;D ;D