Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mark_roberts

Adverse reaction to chemicals
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:06:49 am »
My helper has come out in blotches all over his calfs on both legs.  He reackons its the cleaning chems.

In the past the same happened to him once his wife changed washing machine products.

I use powered chemicals like powerburst and pureclean.

We wear 100% polyester black trousers which on a hot day are itchy on me but thats all.

Anyone come across this sort of thing before.

Hes a good worker so dont want to loose him.  Will try liquid presprays over the next week or so and see what happens.

The thing is why on the legs when hes not wearing shorts and his trousers dont get wet?

thanks
Mark

Adam P

Re: Adverse reaction to chemicals
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 08:12:46 am »
 flea bites maybe and he didn't realise? are they def just blotches or does it look like there could be tiny bites in the middle? right now if you were to look at my legs you'd be grossed out by how many flea bites i've got over last 2 weeks could be that.

Helen

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 08:35:43 am »
If it were a reaction to the solutions wouldn't it be all over rather than just on the legs?
As mentioned could be flea bites or at the moment we are inundated with those tiny black thunderbugs, which can make you itch and scratching will bring up the blotches. Another possibilty could just be a heat reaction.
Have you also thought of the possibilty of what is already in/on the carpets before you start could be something that doesn't like his skin?
I would have thought that liquid pre sprays would be worse if he is allergic to the solutions :)

It makes no sense that it is just on his calfs, what is he doing? Rolling up his trousers and rubbing it on? ;D ;D ;D

benny d

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:01:34 am »
>>what is he doing? Rolling up his trousers and rubbing it on?<<

You typed that like you want to see it!  :o
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

John Kelly

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 09:03:40 am »
If he's using a truckmount then the area around his calfs will obviously come into contact with whatever is going through the wand. The steam and spray from a truckmount wand will penetrate through fabric but also go up the trouser leg. This will also happen with a porty to some extent.
I would suggest he has an allergie test. He could also use a barrier cream on his legs before he comes to work.

Chris Hawkes

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:54:20 am »
Ask him if he has a dog or a cat or been in a home with either in the day before the blotches appeared.

Fleas

Chris

Jim_77

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 12:00:44 pm »
Could be heat rash?  Get him to wear jeans for a couple of days, see if it continues

The polyester material might not be "breathing", the denim should be better (or cotton trousers if available)

garry22

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 12:31:04 pm »
Next time you get a sunny day, use your sprayer by a window where the sun comes in. You will be surprised how much spray is in the air (and loads near your legs).

BDCS

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 01:18:44 pm »
My missus had the same thing which turned out to be caused by cheap jeans from Tescos. Apparently they are sprayed with insecticide to prevent all the insects where they are made infesting here! Thats what happens when these big monopolys manufacture in third world slums. I think it was just a ploy to obtain extra funding for more expensive clothing :D

mark_roberts

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 01:55:49 pm »
He been with me for 3 months now and it seems to clear up when off over the holidays.  He has a dog but I'm sure its not flees.  Told to for allergy test so will see what happens.

Mark

mark joyce

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 04:49:49 pm »
tell him to man up  ;D  does he want to work? all chemicals are tested and most not harmful tell him to wear shorts all the time the extra air round the legs will help  ;D

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 04:53:39 pm »
Hi  I get it on my left leg ,face and privates sometimes

Started when I went to Ashbys Training for three days many moons ago

I use loads of moisture creams to keep it under control or diphrobase from doctor

try switching to natural  products

wynne jones

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 05:08:39 pm »
Hi  I get it on my left leg ,face and privates sometimes

Started when I went to Ashbys Training for three days many moons ago

I use loads of moisture creams to keep it under control or diphrobase from doctor

try switching to natural  products

Ian, we really don't want that much detail about your private life.  ;D
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

wynne jones

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 05:13:35 pm »
If washing powder caused a problem in the past it could be if you were using an enzyme prespray. It could be fleas, could be prickly heat. 
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

David Ware

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 05:43:29 pm »
Could be claim coming :(
David

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 06:21:56 pm »
Could be allergic to work, he doesn't wear a hoody and starts riots does he?

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 07:16:34 pm »
Would not have thought it would be cleaning stuff your using mate..

Shaun ;D

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 07:23:32 pm »
I could understand PB causing a reaction to some (but then there are some people who are allergic to just about everything), but PC I find that hard to believe unless he was rubbing the powder into his legs.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 07:24:56 pm »
Tell your worker to wear a longer blouse.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 07:25:42 pm »
Most products say they are an irritant tried wet weather gear once but that was like a sauna