Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Gareth H Davies

What would you charge for a day rate?
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:30:37 am »
Hi all,

Doing a trail job for a guy tomorrow, his company maintains 90 appartments and is looking for a day rate to deep clean the carpets.

All the appartments will be done every 6 months and wants a day rate for 7 hours in which he will supply me enough keys to cover this.

So I was wondering what sort of price you guys would consider reasonable?

Cheers

jasonl

Re: What would you charge for a day rate?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 08:41:11 am »
One man ,machine and chems £250-300 with immediate payment, any more and he can easily buy kit and train a person , any less and it wont be worth your while.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

clinton

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:58:55 am »
Maybe dont go on the hour rate and do it per room etc..

JandS

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:02:15 am »
£180 all in.
It's work booked in why be greedy.
Your there all day and no travelling.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

A P T

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:13:52 am »
Not sure that it wouldn't involve travelling, unless the 90 are all in one block.

7hours @ £30 / hour sounds reasonable IMO, 210 for the day, plus vat, and prompt payment. There again, you can translate the number of apartments cleaned in a day to the £210 rate, in my experience, some apartments will have only a tiny carpeted area, then some will have 3 or 4 carpeted bedrooms,

from edge2edge

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:10:50 am »
Gareth who says how many are to be done in the stated 7 hours   its best to clarify that before working out the day rate as there is a lot of difference between doing 4 jobs to doing 7 for example.Regards Alan

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 10:54:22 am »
One man ,machine and chems £250-300 with immediate payment,

Same as Jason although I know someone on here who claims his day rate is £700 ;D Yeh good luck with that ;D

But it does depend on whereabouts you are. Glasgow could be £150......London £350

Gareth H Davies

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 11:03:02 am »
Thanks for the advice guys. I prefer to price per job or per room but he is insisting on a day rate so......I will find out how many he expects to be done in that timescale tomorrow. I agree jason/neil and was thinking about the 300 mark, not too high not too low. Cheers.

davep

M.Acorn

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 12:21:40 pm »
I know someone on here who claims his day rate is £700 Grin Yeh good luck with that

Wonder who that is ?

I try and obtain £100 p/hr and I am usually not far off that,say between £80 and £100 per hr

Just booked a large ish commercial for £455,will take me around 6 hours if I take it steady.
Must have the gift of the gab,or a brass neck.
Have also just been paid to clean a hall stairs and landing  £300 ,it's just over 800 sq foot though,not your average house,it's worth well over 1.5 million.
I would say I would like to see one of the apartments,I would also like to know how many they would expect me to get done in a day.
What goes around comes around

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 12:43:52 pm »
I try and obtain £100 p/hr and I am usually not far off that,say between £80 and £100 per hr

Yes but that's not a day rate is it? What you are doing is playing with figures and saying your rate is £80/hour is like saying you turn over £128,800 a year which we all know you don't.
We can all get those odd jobs that pay £80-£100 for an hours work but we are talking about someone who wants to 'hire' a carpet cleaner for several days in a row. And that is vastly different for a guarenteed week or two's work on one project.

M.Acorn

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 01:23:36 pm »
Would say between £350 and £400 then,depending on what they were expecting to get done in a day
What goes around comes around

Paul Simpson

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 03:21:33 pm »
Each job and client is different but approximately £200 give or take a bit depending on the job.

Paul H

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 03:27:34 pm »
Gareth...forget all the bull about 2k an hour etc!!! big job this rate n that rate...!!!

You've the chance for a good amount of work there and then again in 6 months... just work out what you're happy to take home per day after after all you costs etc..... dont price yourself out of it by being greedy....price yourself into by being realistic...and that gauranteed income in 6 months

£30 per hour will give you over 1k per week based on what you said...not sure where you are at but thats good money in many a decent occupation e.g legal / accountancy etc..

what is the customer expecting to pay??...what is their budget....sure you can negotiate something that suits both you and him....goood luck

John Kelly

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 04:03:44 pm »
Plucking figures isn't the way to do it. Each business is different and people have different circumstances. A business should know how much they need to earn a day to be profitable. You should have a business plan, it isn't easy but having one is sensible and gives you goals to aim for. You should be able to work out how much you need to charge per day by calculating your costs and how much you need to live on. And don't forget to factor in capital costs to go towards replacing equipment vehicles etc down the line. Doing this is a very worthwhile excercise and gives you a figure you can use for work like this or commercial work.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 04:13:23 pm »
Hi Guys

It would depend on where you are in terms of your business.

I would quote £400 to £500 but would't get it and wouldn't really want it.

However 20 years ago a few days guaranteed at 250 to 300 in todays prices would have made life a lot easier.

Only you can know what you are prepared to work for.

Cheers

Doug

Colin Day

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 04:54:34 pm »
I would ask for £800-£1000 per day.......

Then when he stopped laughing, I'd aim for £250-£350.... ;D

clinton

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 05:03:51 pm »
If your a newbie then you will want this work as its a start and gets your confidence up too on the job...

Mike Halliday

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 05:17:03 pm »
if I'm working 7hrs at his place of employment that mean I'm not working 7hrs some where else, so my day rate must be what I would earn on a normal day if I work for 7hrs.

I can clean 3 suites in 7hrs inc travel from each job = £390ish

I can clean 2 x 4 bed houses in 7hrs inc travel = £400

I can clean 7 lounges in 7hrs inc travel. = £410

so my day rate must be aprox £400

the fact that it is all in one place makes no difference.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

markpowell

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 05:24:24 pm »
Make sure you dont fall for the promise of loads of ongoing work at a low rate, doing few cleans then it ends. I would want 300 per day for 3 empty 2 bed appartments at 2 hours each steady away with an hour lunch or I would not be interested.