Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

Re: HELP, dont know what to do!
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2011, 06:20:43 pm »
GB IF THE TDS IS 000PPM THEN THIS SHOULD BE OK. I TEND TO PUT A BIT OF WHITE SPIRIT IN THE MIX WHITCH WILL LEAVE A FILM ON THE WINDOWS WHEN WATERFEDING. AND THIS DOESNT ALTER THE TDS EITHER.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2011, 09:15:15 pm »
GB IF THE TDS IS 000PPM THEN THIS SHOULD BE OK. I TEND TO PUT A BIT OF WHITE SPIRIT IN THE MIX WHITCH WILL LEAVE A FILM ON THE WINDOWS WHEN WATERFEDING. AND THIS DOESNT ALTER THE TDS EITHER.

sorry a & j im not sure i follow you mate. why would you want to leave a film on the glass  ???

thanks for the knowledge anyway brother, i apprciate you time more than you know!

dave f

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2011, 07:27:59 am »
ive found that if ive got a window with a top double opener i make sure idont get water in between as it dribbles down makes a pigs ear of it

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2011, 09:11:55 am »
just about everyone if not all i do water fed pole are f***ed  >:(
but like i said they look fine from the ground when the sun is not blazing down on them!

AJ

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2011, 05:32:30 pm »
Do you keep tap water in your tank then pass it through the Di to the glass or are you filling the tank with 000tds? If its the latter, check the tds of the tank water, because it may read 000 when you start filling but the resin could have expired by the time it has finished, especially in hard water area. Resin on its own won't last long.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2011, 06:13:45 pm »
Do you keep tap water in your tank then pass it through the Di to the glass or are you filling the tank with 000tds? If its the latter, check the tds of the tank water, because it may read 000 when you start filling but the resin could have expired by the time it has finished, especially in hard water area. Resin on its own won't last long.

i fill my 25 ltr barrels every morning and check the ppm at least twice for each barrel fill! its not like im not checking my tds very very regular, my "HM digital" tds hand held meter is only about a year old how often do they need calibrating?

thanks

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2011, 09:28:21 pm »
this is really getting me down at the mo, im still half inclined to pack up the windows altogether and try something else  ??? but god know what  :( sorry to harp on but you lot are the only people i can talk to who actually know what your on about!

i try talking to family and friends but they end up anoying me because they say silly things like...

"any water thats not dried off properly with leave spots" and...

"just wipe them off"

but the trust is they wont just effing wipe off there effing hard water marks some effing how!!!  :'(

luther1

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2011, 09:47:19 pm »
If it was your first time wfp after being trad then i'd have said your problem was down to scrubbing. You have to remove all of the old soap residue as this will leave spots. You say you've wfp'd these houses before then i'd say your problem is rinsing if your cleaning at zero ppm. It doesn't matter what your flow is  if you're not rinsing enough. Chase the water down the frame. If the problem continues then you have a couple of problem houses. We all have them,you are just being too critical on marks that won't show from the inside out.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2011, 10:14:06 pm »
thanks luther, it makes me feel better when i can talk to someone who knows what there on about

by the way am i the only person to create hard water spots with wfp? ive never heard of it before and thats why i thought it was imposibble!?!?!

thanks

andy1975

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2011, 10:41:44 pm »
have you tried it on your own windows? wfp shouldnt leave spots that you can't remove with a bit of scrubbing, are you sure the spotting wasnt already there, also have you got a decent tds meter as there are some cheap copies out there that dont work properly, are you sure your tds is 000?

i cant be positive the spots wernt there before on all of then but they defo wernt there on some! i didnt think wfp coule leave hard water mark either! my tds meter is an "hm digital" as far as i know my water is 000ppm
earlier you said you havnt used water over 12ppm,so does this mean you have used water upto 12ppm,ifso that would most definitly leave spots

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2011, 10:59:57 pm »
have you tried it on your own windows? wfp shouldnt leave spots that you can't remove with a bit of scrubbing, are you sure the spotting wasnt already there, also have you got a decent tds meter as there are some cheap copies out there that dont work properly, are you sure your tds is 000?

i cant be positive the spots wernt there before on all of then but they defo wernt there on some! i didnt think wfp coule leave hard water mark either! my tds meter is an "hm digital" as far as i know my water is 000ppm
earlier you said you havnt used water over 12ppm,so does this mean you have used water upto 12ppm,ifso that would most definitly leave spots

NOT NESSACARILY but would definately avoid it while converting from trad to wfp
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

luther1

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2011, 11:33:50 pm »
12ppm has never left spots on any windows i've cleaned and i've gone over that reading loads of times. GB,are you looking so close to the glass that your eye lashes are brushing against it?. Stand 2 feet away and have a look. In fact,don't even bother looking. Clean the house and move on. Trust yourself :)

P @ F

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2011, 12:16:59 am »
GB ,  are these existing customers that your getting probs with or new accounts ?
If its all the above then then i reckon its down to the fact that you in the past have been a glass only man , i could be wrong , but so many times in the past ive seen this same thread come up .

When trad i saw fit to name my company panes & frames , this was 6 year ago , i therefore on each visit did as i promised and did not cut corners , this is why i was full up in 2 months of hard graft , more importantly i reckon when i went wfp 18 months later i had absolutely no probs with spots or runs .

The only advice i can offer to you is to bite the bullett and spend lots of time on every job scrubbing and rinsing.

You will earn naff all for your time to start , but thats the joy of change over , just glad i had my old man drumming the line   "if a jobs worth doing , its worth doing well "  all them years ago , cheers dad .

Rich
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2011, 05:51:08 am »
GB Windows if this problem gets you so upset, Mate . Maybe you should pack it in. Don't think you are cut out for this job.Find something less stressful to do.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2011, 08:25:13 am »
It sounds like it's only a very tiny amount of customers that have an issue.
Maybe just pass them on to a trad cleaner and get on with rest of the work.

The sttling in period with WFP (first 6 months) cost me about 5% of my customers.
A few were persistent complainers even though nothing was wrong with the work.  They just didn't like the glass being left wet.  A couple had genuine grievances because there was a lot of oxidisation and try as I would, I couldn't get on top of the milky runs.  They happily accepted my recommendation of a local ladder man who I've known for years - especially when I refused to charge them for my final clean.

I did have one place though that had an issue with hard water spots.  I was never certain but I believe it was caused by an old overflow pipe way above the window.  There was no pipe there at the time but you could see where an old one had been pugged up.  I had been cleaning there trad for a while too but you did have to look closely to see them.  I suppose that when I switched to WFP she must have started looking more closely.  I believe this was confirmed when I looked at the upper side window while on the garage roof.  This was much worse as they had a current overflow pipe above.  She triewd to blame that onto me as well but I wasn't having it.  I was already aware of the state of this window.  It's funny because in that particular street, it spread like a contagion.  I ended up being dumped by three customers.  The ones left all needed ladder access over a garage roof so
I just dropped them.
If you lose or drop 5% of your work when switching in order to keep your round up to scratch then it's a price worth paying IMO.  You need to think of the longer term.  WFP gives you the tools to compete with the big boys if that's what you want.
I don't want to sound uncaring but those feelings of rejection etc need to be left behind.  Losing a few smaller/moderate sized jobs needs to be seen as freeing up time to get better work.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2011, 12:12:12 pm »

i used to regularly use water upto 12ppm possibly slightly higher  :-[

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2011, 12:15:36 pm »
GB ,  are these existing customers that your getting probs with or new accounts ?
If its all the above then then i reckon its down to the fact that you in the past have been a glass only man , i could be wrong , but so many times in the past ive seen this same thread come up .

When trad i saw fit to name my company panes & frames , this was 6 year ago , i therefore on each visit did as i promised and did not cut corners , this is why i was full up in 2 months of hard graft , more importantly i reckon when i went wfp 18 months later i had absolutely no probs with spots or runs .

The only advice i can offer to you is to bite the bullett and spend lots of time on every job scrubbing and rinsing.

You will earn naff all for your time to start , but thats the joy of change over , just glad i had my old man drumming the line   "if a jobs worth doing , its worth doing well "  all them years ago , cheers dad .

Rich

there existing custys!

i was never a glass only man either!

i have already done as you sudjested and spread my work out to allow lots of time for scrubbing and rinsing but as i said these spots are not coming off easy!

thanks mate!

andy_a

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2011, 07:58:42 pm »
GB I’m new to this game and use Trad so have no experience regarding WFP but looking at this from from a different standpoint I have to say if I read on here you have given up ill find you and beat the p*** out of you pal!

Let me explain you’re clearly a decent bloke as you getting annoyed which shows you care not only about the job your doing but other people’s property Id be exactly the same as I’m the worrying sort.

I got in to this game for two reason one of which was I got fed up with idiots taking liberties not cleaning my parents house properly, one time I caught this clown pi**ing down the side of my Mum's house! Don’t worry he can’t do that anymore : ) Anyhow If a needed a window cleaner id ask you because I know you’d do a proper job and that’s key to keeping customers rather than just saying if they don’t complain don’t worry! Having said that I’m not knocking anyone on here for that, it’s good advice as its clearly upsetting you, so trying to switch off is a very good idea. But if you’re like me and you can’t switch off just wait until you collect and ask your custeys are they happy with the work your doing? Rest assured they will tell you, and if they say no say ill do them again free of charge that way you don’t lose anyone and they realise you have a good work ethic. Honestly mate if I was the head of a big company and read your post Id hire you. Keep at it mate please as this business needs people like you. Let us know when you have found out what the problem is?

Take care mate : )  

Dave66

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2011, 08:52:54 pm »
^ ;D

maybe the dirts coming of the top frame..

as said buy a new tds meter just incase  ;)
plenty of cream...plenty of sugar!

Londoner

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2011, 10:08:03 pm »
Have you thought of going trad till you get it sorted?