This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

GB Window Cleaning

some hint and tips please
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:28:12 am »
ok so im thinking about doing a DIY van mount and heres some details.

Ive got:

2 di vessels + resin

50 mtr hose and reel

Pole + brushes

Combo van

what i think i need:

R.O. im on a water meter! which one?

Water tank. how big and how do i fix it to the inside of my van?

Pumps and other stuff  ;D

any advise welcome  :)

thanks

R W C™

Re: some hint and tips please
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 11:05:40 am »
What's your budget for all this, one thing I will say is I would say get a longer reel, I've got a 50 mtr, 70mtr and 100 mtr reels, I'd say 70 is the best as the 50 wouldn't be long enough on all work

Perfect Windows

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 01:26:53 pm »
What's your budget for all this, one thing I will say is I would say get a longer reel, I've got a 50 mtr, 70mtr and 100 mtr reels, I'd say 70 is the best as the 50 wouldn't be long enough on all work

I'd even suggest  100M reel.  It might only allow you to do an extra couple of jobs on your round but if my experience is any guide, they are jobs that will be worth it as you can charge more for the access problems.

Vin

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 09:45:48 pm »
thanks so far, what else?

Tom White

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:33:31 pm »
A flow controller.  I've two different ones, but my preference is the Variflow.  You'll also need a battery and charger.  I use a leisure battery which at £80 wasn't cheap (apparently the price goes up on them this time of year because it's the caravan season).

Some lads just use car batteries though.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:41:48 am »
what does a flow controller do tosh?

steven ainger

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 08:44:11 am »
you can set the speed of flow, it also stops the pump when the water from the pole stops

Tom White

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 08:46:37 am »
what does a flow controller do tosh?

It controls your flow of water so it's not blasting out.  Some guys like to work this way, and granted when you're experienced and on a regular clean it's quick.  But if you're new to WFP, a flow controller will allow you to manage your flow of water out of your brush head to a manageable level.

It also protects your pump from being on 'full throttle' all the time, and it increases the life of your battery.

I like my flow controller; for leaky leaded windows I can turn it down so I'm not 'pressure washing' water through all the leaky bits of glass, or for when I want to be quick I can turn it upto full blast and work quickly.

I think they're a 'must'.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:53:09 am »
thanks lads, should i get someone who knows what there doing to set it up for me? labour only and i get the parts?

steven ainger

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 08:55:07 am »
do it yourself mate, its not that hard to do.
 you will also know how to put things back together, when things go wrong  ???

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:03:38 am »
do it yourself mate, its not that hard to do.
 you will also know how to put things back together, when things go wrong  ???

thats what im hoping too mate  ;D so what should i do/buy first?

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 09:08:29 am »
what online shop is best for buying components?

steven ainger

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 09:53:32 am »
theres a few things we/you need to know.
 ro- system, how much you want to spend and how much water you want to use per day.
 tank, what size to fit in your van and how much water you need in a day.

suppliers, gardiners, window cleaning warehouse. you can get most things from these quickly

Perfect Windows

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 12:47:46 pm »
Ref suppliers:

Anyone who recommends Gardiners seem to get a panning from certain (not disinterested) parties but I'll give it a go and put my tin hat on.

I've never dealt with anyone better than Gardiners.  They are head and shoulders above most suppliers.  If you ask for advice they will give it.  If a component fails they will replace it.  Their poles are heartily recommended on here by people who use them daily.  They deliver quickly.  Bluntly, I do not use anyone else for WFP equipment if they stock the item. 

Their only weakness is that they are sometimes too busy for their phone answering capability.  Now, I've never suffered that but plenty seem to have.  I do tend to phone mid morning, which may help.  However, if you DO have to leave a message, they call back.

When I set up I called, spoke to Alex and basically said "I have an empty van; what do I need to do to get going?".  The next day I got a quotation for the lot.

Water treatment: I call June at Gaps Water.  She knows more than anyone you're likely to meet and will deal with you with a joke and a smile.  Again, prompt delivery, though if they go on holiday they shut the business, so don't leave things late.

So, there's my tuppen'orth.

Vin

Perfect Windows

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 12:53:58 pm »
One more thing.  If you can afford it, get two of everything you order (within reason).  Get spares of every connector etc in your system.  Gte five of each circlip/jubilee clip.  Buy a comprehensive toolkit.  Screwfix sell a decent one in a handy bag: http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-tool-kit-31-piece-set/78230

All of that will mean that when something gives up and you're ten miles from home, you won't miss a couple of hours' work for a stupid problem.  It'll always happen on the job furthest from base on the day you're most rushed.  That toolkit and the spares will pay for themselves the first time you don't have to go home.

Then, whenever you use a part from your spares kit, make a note and add it to your next order.

Vin

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 03:10:22 pm »
theres a few things we/you need to know.
 ro- system, how much you want to spend and how much water you want to use per day.
 tank, what size to fit in your van and how much water you need in a day.

suppliers, gardiners, window cleaning warehouse. you can get most things from these quickly

thanks for that, those seem like good suppliers. im still unsure if the merlin would do me my tap tds is 300!?

GB Window Cleaning

Re:DIY. some hint and tips please
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 03:21:03 pm »
will i need to weld a tank in my van?
or can i use straps?

steven ainger

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 03:30:12 pm »
if your on a water meter i wouldnt get a merlin, they have a high waste rate, and they dont bring the tds down that wel,l so you will use alit of resin.
i myself have a tank frame bolted to the chassis, but in my old van i use 5 ton ratchet straps, and it never moved, mind you i never had a crash  ???

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 03:34:16 pm »
if your on a water meter i wouldnt get a merlin, they have a high waste rate, and they dont bring the tds down that wel,l so you will use alit of resin.
i myself have a tank frame bolted to the chassis, but in my old van i use 5 ton ratchet straps, and it never moved, mind you i never had a crash  ???

thanks mate, what ro would you use mate? can you tell me a name please?

steven ainger

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 03:37:14 pm »
ive got a ro-man 450 gpd ro, with a booster pump.
as i said, how much water do you need and how quick to you need it, and how much have you got to spend on one