Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wynne jones

Google getting even greedier
« on: May 07, 2011, 01:38:55 pm »
Well this morning I got on the computer and thought I'd inadvertently changed browser settings as a Google search yielded a very strange layout. But it looks like Google has expaneded yet again the depth of the adwords box and subtly changed the layout so they blend even more with organic results.

Looks like putting in effort on SEO will be purely to help keep your CPC and paid map entry down in the not too distant future. :(
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Helen

Re: Google getting even greedier
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 05:01:02 pm »
What area are you looking at because putting in different towns seems to bring up different layouts.

wynne jones

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 06:06:29 pm »
This is what I'm seeing. May not be for everyone yet.

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/05/07/google-search-new-layout-style/

Fran84

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 09:54:20 am »
That is exactly what I'm seeing aswell!!

Adam P

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:20:37 am »
i expect that they'll be adding something else soon which is why they're making more space. how are they more greedy as i can't see it from the example you given/

wynne jones

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 10:30:58 am »
i expect that they'll be adding something else soon which is why they're making more space. how are they more greedy as i can't see it from the example you given/

If you have adwords triggered by the keyword phrase the box is deeper pushing further down the serps. The lack of delineation in the serps also makes the sponsored entries more eye catching.

And if you also get a local map which for most of us do, pretty much all No.1 position serps will be way below the fold on most screens if indeed on the first page.

This is going to push up the number of people paying for adwords and maps entries and this will in turn increase cost per click/impression.

Adam P

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 10:47:02 am »
map entries are free at the moment to google? i'll have to wait to see it get added as from the images it doesn't look much different, only cleaner.

Paul Evans

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:56:40 am »
Dont give google any ideas, there taking over the world.
More cash than tesco  ;D ;D ;D

Paul

garyj

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 02:22:17 pm »
The reason they are doing it is because it is 'mobile phone friendly', over 50% of Google searches are now down from a phone. Just concentrate on your Google Map placing before your competitors do, find out what info Google wants and where it wants it and implement that.

Have to agree I also think it looks clean and crisp. 

Leighbrad

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 09:44:25 pm »
I think the most important change has been missed it looks to me like 4 listings are being shown for the  pay to click Google listings  as opposed to the present 3 this further erodes the showings of the organic listings..... We will end up with most of the 1st  page all being paid listings its all ready happening in the states with Google charging for listings in the 10 Google local places listings... 

Yes folks its the beginning of the end for the web as we know it.... and I fear that Google will have a dominance that we will all come to regret
Carpet and Upholstery In Cleaning Essex and East London Since 1982
www.aaroncleaners.co.uk/
www.kingswoodcleaners.co.uk/
www.carpetcleaners-essex.co.uk/

Adam P

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 09:54:50 pm »
christ what a crazy rediculous thin to say leighbad. it's the end of the web as we know it? jeesh some people really do like to pock at success.

the only way google make their serious money is by providing search. they give almost everything away for free, i use so many of their services which are the best in the world often, and it costs me not a single penny. greedy buggers they are. now appaently they've decided to make the organic real listings of their search even worse. this will make a worse search engine not a better one. you think the billionairs don't know this? do you think they know where their billions come from? it's from having the best search engine providing the most accurate results people want to see. if i search for "the best carpet cleaner in the world" right now my site would be top of the natural listing. if they put too much space for adwords then anyone could be which means customers don't actually end up finding the best carpet cleaner, meaning the search enginge is doing a bad job.

Leighbrad

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 10:12:44 pm »
could not agree with you more so why does that make my comment a crazy thing to say?
Are you disagreeing with the fact that organically produced seo results will soon be a thing of the past on page 1 of serps?
Is that not the end of the web as we have known it..... most punters will inadvertently end up clicking on some form of paid advert fact.....
www.aaroncleaners.co.uk/

Adam P

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 10:19:47 pm »
"its the beginning of the end for the web as we know it"

that was the crazy thing to say imo, along with you other post. google change the look of their search results and it's the begining of the end. ok...

Leighbrad

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 10:27:24 pm »
You are entitled to your opinion.... but time will tell.... appeasement never got us anywhere and I have a pound to a penny that you must be earning out of Google somewhere otherwise you could not possibly take such a naive view point......
 ;)
www.aaroncleaners.co.uk/

Adam P

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 10:29:01 pm »
imo your point of view is naive.

garyj

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 10:29:13 pm »
christ what a crazy rediculous thin to say leighbad. it's the end of the web as we know it? jeesh some people really do like to pock at success.

the only way google make their serious money is by providing search. they give almost everything away for free, i use so many of their services which are the best in the world often, and it costs me not a single penny. greedy buggers they are. now appaently they've decided to make the organic real listings of their search even worse. this will make a worse search engine not a better one. you think the billionairs don't know this? do you think they know where their billions come from? it's from having the best search engine providing the most accurate results people want to see. if i search for "the best carpet cleaner in the world" right now my site would be top of the natural listing. if they put too much space for adwords then anyone could be which means customers don't actually end up finding the best carpet cleaner, meaning the search enginge is doing a bad job.

;D ;D Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read here for years, true comedy genius. Ignore him leighbrad everyone else does.

When Google Places was first released they actually showed 7 listings but have cut it back. It is still a bit 'all over the place' as they are still testing it, there doesn't seem to any rhyme or reason why some pages are ranking higher than others at the moment and why some keep disappearing all together. It will all settle down in the next few months.

The reason Google have invested so heavily in Places is because they believe the next big thing is going to be Local advertising. As you've probably already worked out if you search for a carpet cleaner from your phone you get the listings local to you first, even if you didn't put in a place name. For local businesses looking for local customers I believe 'Places' will be so big it will finish off Yell completely.  I think you would be surprised how little of our websites are read by our potential customers, they just want a list of Carpet Cleaners and a few phone numbers and that is exactly what they get from Google Places. How many on here when searching for a local tradesmen use Yellow PAges or Yell.com? If I want a plumber etc I type "Plumber Andover" into Google, it's fast, easy and effortless, it's time to take your Google Place Page serious. In a few months Google Place pages will also be Pay Per Click, you'll be able to tell which ines are PPC as they will be in blue as opposed to the 'organic' listing red.  

Leighbrad

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 01:56:04 am »
Hi Gary,
I had already come to the same conclusions that you have  about our fellow poster.....  nuf said....  and its good to hear from some one that actually has a good  idea of what is going on with Google especially your summery of how people search... I totally agree with you.
They are allready charging in the states for enhanced listings in  google places so you are right we are next in line...  

So the face of the web will change in as much as Google will have Got one over many of us who have put so much time and effort into SEO work becuase the plain fact of the matter is they have at best tolerated us and would ultimately  love to charge for everything that features on page 1 of serps.
 Now as 70% of the work we derive from the web comes from the 1st page of serps  we will soon have no option but to submit to the mighty yoke of Google with regards PPC and paid local listings and in this regard what is beckoning does warrant  some pertinent questions raised in the article I have written and just for the anoraks with in our midst who feel that such sentiments are self promoting I can only say I can think of much more productive ways of directing traffic to my sites rather  than posting on forums which is why I generally do not bother ...  My objective here was  to raise peoples consciousness as to what is going on and not just believing the propaganda touted more often than not by Individuals with a vested interest in web hosting for ad sense and promoting or selling Google ad words.  

I  still would highly recommend anyone listening in on this conversation to read not just my post but the very informative article by the  other writer mentioned.... the guy that wrote it has contacts In the highest levels of the web community so he has a good insight into matters pertaining to Google....
 As I have always understood matters that is how the web has worked upto this present day You write an informative article with links included that add to the points you are trying to make and some one links back to you if what you have written is of interest and topical that's what has made the web so informative....
One liners and anoraks don't  generally get a look in outside of forums because they have not got any thing interesting to say which is why I prefer blogs you can also delete such moronic content if its posted in your blog!

What a Lie then their famous maxim came to be that Content is King Sayeth the mighty Google The best bit of propaganda of our modern times!  You just can not trust any thing Google say as they constantly move the goalposts in this case sideways.
So sad to say  the one liners win here or I should say 3 lines which is all Google like you to have on PPC that may change the way we see page 1 of serps but I am sure there will still be a place for such dialogue on the web even after Google have changed the current layout.
Regards Leigh
 ;)
www.aaroncleaners.co.uk/

wynne jones

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 09:18:38 am »
Looks like you and Doug are going to have a big turf war soon. ;D

Can't see any of Ian Harper's sites isn't he in your area and an internet expert?

Leighbrad

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 10:11:40 am »
Hi Wynn,
The network that Doug has built up is nothing short of amazing but we both will end loosing out to Googles new front page in Serps unless we both go in for PPC in a big way but as my post (Are Google Adwords Working For Carpet Cleaners) implied spending the money on ad words at present gives you a less than satisfactory return!
 I think Doug and myself  have got most of the other bases ticked though down in Essex and Dougs tentacles are spread even further afield.

From what I deduce Ian is already quite competent in this regard and seems to dominate the local PPC campaigns running in Essex.
How he manages to afford them though is beyond me with prices at £12.50 a room.
 I would have Gone out of business 30 years ago, but they say variety is the spice of life and the strange thing is   Doug and myself are very similar in price.... I often quote on the same jobs and we both are  still  turning over decent money and you have the King of the Carpet Cleaning Prices in our neck of the woods  Alan Arnold still turning over Double what me and Doug make in a week and he is doing it with portables truly amazing. He is often double Dougy's and our prices I am often incredulous as to how he achieves such pricing.

So having been forwarded some emails regarding Ian recently by a disgruntled competitor  I can only agree with the individual on one point in that Ian could well do with putting up his prices because I truly believe potential clients will deem him to be far too cheap in comparison to other cleaners they may have contacted and that same client will end up choosing some one else who may charge double what Ian is asking! So all the time Ian continues with his £12.50 per room campaign the likes of  Dougy, Allan and  myself are quite happy because we will pick up the higher tariff jobs.

This is not meant to be in any way disrespectful to you Ian if you are listening in because yesterday I read the vein of  a thread you posted  on this forum  back in March and got the sense that you may be finding it tough...... So try applying the advice that my good friend Allan Arnold  has always drummed into me telling me not to be so cheap....and put up your prices!
It truly works
Leigh
 :)
www.aaroncleaners.co.uk/

wynne jones

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 10:19:27 am »
There's tons of work out there for everyone, but if you are at the cheaper end you have to be out working all day long rather than having a full english whilst watching Homes under the Hammer  ;D