Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

David_Annable

Not using a Pre-Spray
« on: May 06, 2011, 07:10:06 am »
H

I was talking to a Carpet Cleaner recently who dosn't use a pre-spray, just goes straight to HWE.

Dose antbody else do the same?

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

james roffey

Re: Not using a Pre-Spray
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 07:25:38 am »
I experimented on my own carpet whta made the dirt dissolve was the prespray NOT wanding and i have inline heater on high too

David_Annable

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 07:49:12 am »
Hi

Yes i agree i always use a pre-spray.

Dave

creighton foyle

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 07:51:45 am »
do you always use your inline heater james or just on mingers ?.

Jim_77

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 01:16:53 pm »
When I've experimented not pre-spraying, my general findings are that extraction takes a lot longer, you need a higher pressure and the results aren't anywhere near as good.  You use a lot more water and because you have to go over and over some areas you also drive it deeper into the carpet, leaving more behind and lengthening drying times.

Basically you lose out in all areas!

Paul Evans

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 01:57:04 pm »
I allways pre-spray. That is mainly because i was shown that way by
Derek Bolton. Also putting powders through the pump can have a detrimental on the pump. So i believe.

Paul

David_Annable

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 02:03:49 pm »
Hi

The man i was talking to had been doing it for years, he belived that it speeded the job up.

I cant understand it myself.

Dave

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 02:09:09 pm »
high flow and high temp can clean a short pile carpet this way but why give your self the extra work just blast it with a hydraforce, a room will take an extra 3 mins at the most.

you are not saving a lot of time by not pre-spraying although if he doesn't pre-spray then he won't also agitate which will save his some time
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

james roffey

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 04:23:35 pm »
do you always use your inline heater james or just on mingers ?.

Yes on the very dirty ones

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 05:10:41 pm »
high flow and high temp can clean a short pile carpet this way but why give your self the extra work just blast it with a hydraforce, a room will take an extra 3 mins at the most.

you are not saving a lot of time by not pre-spraying although if he doesn't pre-spray then he won't also agitate which will save his some time

.....and presumably a reasonably large saving of money on pre-sprays.

But lets face it we charge what we do because the price is to cover our overheads including prespray, but as has been said if no pre-spray means doing the rinsing more slowly then you won't ultimately complete as many jobs and therefore generate less income.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 05:21:27 pm »
What you see isn't always what you get!

All because it looks clean doesn't mean that the greasy soil has been broken down and it may cause wick back from a stubborn area, traffic lanes may look brighter when damp but when they dry they could be just as bad as when first started. Let's face it how many take very slow back stroke that even a Sunday driver would call slow? Pre spray when left to dwell in the carpet fibre will break down the greasy soils. The only other alternative I can see is if he is using a power brush.

Shaun

james roffey

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 05:41:38 pm »
I recently did a carpet in a library, some company delivering a water cooler had spilt some water over a small area and wanted me to clean it i explained that when i cleaned this small area it would highlite the dirty area, they still wanted me to go ahead.
They were amazed at the contrast and quite frankly it was embarrasing leaving it like that.
They were very interested in the equipment so i explained it was not the wand that was responsible and pulled the wand over a non presprayed area it cleaned it  only very slightly i then sprayed down some hot powerburst and instantly the dirt vanished i was surprised by how affective ir was.
I did offer to do the whole room but they said that "the cleaners do the carpets" i said if you want them done like that then give me a call.

David_Annable

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 07:01:43 pm »
Hi

I thought twice about saying this as i didn't want to open the old can of worms, but the man in question was using a Truckmount.

Dave

Paul H

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 07:33:26 pm »
Im a pre sprayer and AGITATOR....then a more pre srayer if required after first pass....must admit getting good results and feedback re DFC 105 at the mo...

C A Payne

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 07:36:36 pm »
He's not the one that just does one pass is he?  :o

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 07:36:48 pm »
I still don't believe even with added pressure and heat the process won't dissolve enough protein based grease.

Shaun

Robin Ray

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 07:46:00 pm »
In my limited experience so far I've found that choice of prespay is crucial, and scince I,ve got a extracta scrubba I wouldnt be without it even on small jobs. I still agitate before hand. I cant imagine not pre spraying ???

Surley the best possible job is the main thing, otherwise he's not charging enough.

David_Annable

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 07:52:13 pm »
Hi

I agree entirely, but i am talking about a properus CC who has been trading for a long time.

Dave

Mike Halliday

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 08:11:04 pm »
and if he came on here he would laugh his head off at all the replies saying he can't clean carpets that way, but he does and like you say he is properus (which is even better than being prosperous :D )

but the lads on CIU say he's wrong so he must be
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

C A Payne

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 08:16:26 pm »
i can sleep at night!