Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Scrimble

vans why is it so hard to find a decent one?
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:10:44 pm »
went to look at 2 vauxhall combo vans today, both overpriced rubbish with problems and covered with dents,

all i want is a clean fairly priced white 2000 model 1.7 combo van with side door and aircon, how hard can it be??

♠Winp®oClean♠

Re: vans why is it so hard to find a decent one?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:14:42 pm »
went to look at 2 vauxhall combo vans today, both overpriced rubbish with problems and covered with dents,

all i want is a clean fairly priced white 2000 model 1.7 combo van with side door and aircon, how hard can it be??

It's always hard when you want one mate!

There's always loads of good ones when you don't though! :)

Have you considered a Fiat Doblo?

Dean Taberner

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:19:09 pm »
I bet nobody dares to come on here and spurt out the old line "my van is decent" line.

The last time I mentioned about a van of mine earning its value 10x over it died the same week.

Dean.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 09:39:57 pm »
Wheres Gav Cam Renault when you need him  ;D

Rich
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Frankybadboy

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:58:54 pm »
Wheres Gav Cam Renault when you need him  ;D

Rich
in the garage where do you think.

Mike_G

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:00:19 pm »
Because so many new vans are not owned by the drivers, they are company vehicles,  I actually did look after the company van I used to have but not too many do and thats why finding a good secondhand one is not easy.

Wc Solutions

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 10:01:41 pm »
can get lucky at the auctions??

bt vans etc ...

they norm 3 yr lease from new and then go to auction

rz

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 10:02:05 pm »
you need to look at other vans aswell,

doblo, berlingo,connect,

a 2000, 1.7 combo with side door does,nt exist., 51 on for a side door.

DavidWright76

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 07:13:41 am »
I'd rather save up the extra dough and get a newer and more common van. (Easy to get parts.) An 11 year old van tends to be a high milage, rust bucket with all kinds of problems. I bought a 1998 Fiat Scudovan with 120,000 miles on the clock a few years back and the engine, gearbox & shafts fell out of it within 3 weeks.

Londoner

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 07:26:07 am »
For heaven's sake!  Just buy a new van and stop messing about. The payments on my new van when I bought it were £35 a week, can anyone tell me they can't afford that? Thats straight HP no baloon payments or rubbish like that at the end. It was cheaper than leasing by a good way as well.

And they threw in metallic paint, aircon and a side door free.

Its in its fourth year now and hasn't had as much as a light bulb replaced. Still on the original tyres and brake pads

Frankybadboy

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 07:35:32 am »
For heaven's sake!  Just buy a new van and stop messing about. The payments on my new van when I bought it were £35 a week, can anyone tell me they can't afford that? Thats straight HP no baloon payments or rubbish like that at the end. It was cheaper than leasing by a good way as well.

Its in its fourth year now and hasn't had as much as a light bulb replaced. Still on the original tyres and brake pads
have you done any work yet vince ;D ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 08:02:20 am »

Agreed Vince - mind you my van is now 4 and a half years old; 26K and just started on it's third set of tyres as of yesterday.
It's a game of three halves!

Tom White

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 09:11:26 am »
Not everyone can get credit!  I reckon, since my messy divorce 10 years ago, I could get credit now - more than six years have elapsed since I was naughty - but for many many years I couldn't.

Alarm bells would flash and sirens would sound when I submitted a credit application.   ;D

gto

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 09:22:15 am »
your also looking for a van with air con at the beggining of summer, prices are a lot more now.

i was looking for a vw caddy with air con there where loads around £3500 - £4000 by the time i had the money together it was april and they where rare and all over £5000 +vat

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 09:31:28 am »
For heaven's sake!  Just buy a new van and stop messing about. The payments on my new van when I bought it were £35 a week, can anyone tell me they can't afford that? Thats straight HP no baloon payments or rubbish like that at the end. It was cheaper than leasing by a good way as well.

Agreed Vince - mind you my van is now 4 and a half years old; 26K and just started on it's third set of tyres as of yesterday.

Trouble is, most vans were never fitted with aircon as standard around 2000, so the chances of finding one are very remote as it would have been a special order and factory built.

Again, most vans of 11 years old will have high mileages and be battered about. The good ones will be snapped up privately and most will never go to the 'trade' or be advertised.

Vince is right. Better a newer van, ex demo or the like. Running an old van will usually guarantee expensive repairs - better to spent that money on financing a newer van IMHO.

But as Tosh reminds us, if financing is not an option, save like mad and keep looking. When you are in a rush to find something, you never can.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Scrimble

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 10:22:33 am »
sorry i didnt make it clear, when i put vauxhall combo 2000 this relates to the model not the year, the 2000 means its the higher payload model and has a 750kg payload, i'm looking for a 2005/2006 van so about 5 years old,

i actually have a  05 vauxhall combo 2000 model in pristine condition with aircon and side door at the moment however its a 1.4 16v lpg and when its loaded up it really struggles and after test driving a 1.7cdti 100bhp combo i defo bought the wrong van to begin with thats why i want to change,

i would love a new van but atm i owe nothing on mine and dont fancy paying out 200+ quid a month for years just to drive round in a new one not that i could get the credit anyway

KLEENAWAY

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 11:09:17 am »
Might be a load of rubbish StarM but have you not looked at an ECU remap. Not sure what its like for engines running on lpg but i know they get very good results on diesel engines like increased mpg and torque for a few hundred quid.....just an idea mate.

Danny

Scrimble

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 04:59:19 pm »
sod it i've sorted out a new one at vauxhall dealer down the road,

makes more sense to buy new and keep it for a good while so thats what im doing!

AC Window Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 05:30:49 pm »

what van was that mate? and where from??

Rogue Trader

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 09:53:58 pm »
If you want a cheap and decent workhorse van that wont let you down then buy my one in the buy and sell section Fiat scudo hold more water than the combo no ac though im afraid , although its not that many days of the year that you need it in this country.