This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

neiljoust

backpacks
« on: April 28, 2011, 10:56:21 pm »
hi are backpacks any good what it just for the tops also say doing 1 house with 6 top windows how much water will it take thanks

Tom White

Re: backpacks
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 11:00:05 pm »
1.5 litres per standard three-paned window is a rough calculation of what you'll do on a maintenance clean (a lot more if they're a dirty first clean).  And a backpack is spot on for doing 'tops only'; it's better than ladders. 

You can also use it for all Georgian and leaded windows and anything that's awkward.  I recommend the Shurflow backpack; it's more expensive, but it's a robust bit of kit.

Use an external hose so that you can turn your water off easily; because you obviously don't want to go wasting it when you're working with a backpack.

neiljoust

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 11:03:44 pm »
theres one on ebay comes with backpack seprate filter to fit on hosepipe , 6 25 liters drums , dont know what make it is , i suposse you filter the water at home with drums what do you think

Tom White

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 11:07:06 pm »
theres one on ebay comes with backpack seprate filter to fit on hosepipe , 6 25 liters drums , dont know what make it is , i suposse you filter the water at home with drums what do you think

Stick the link up and lets have a look.  Cut 'n' paste the link here; it's easy to do; highlight the text, right click and click on "copy".  Then reply to this post and right click and choose "paste".

Failing that, just list the item number.

GoodFella2006

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 12:00:56 am »
Take a look here.

Backpacks are pretty heavy when full.

Easy to carry holding the handle,so i advise the blue one.

neiljoust

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 12:08:52 am »
Item number: 230614434902

GoodFella2006

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 12:22:50 am »

Looking at his other listings,he must be packing up.

You need a RO system to go with that setup as DI Resin won't last long.

Tom White

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 12:31:43 am »
E-bay item

The sack barrow thing is useless; get a fishing trolley with big wheels; e-bay sell 'em for about £25.

You can buy a new backpack (if you must go cheap) for about £100 from places like window cleaning warehouse.

I don't think this is a particularly good deal.

BORBRYCE

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 12:40:01 am »
That set up will work ok for a starter kit. The di vessel is too small and will need changed every other day in a hard water area, every other 3 days in a soft water area. The sacktruck does not collapse so may not easily fit in a car or small van easily. The wheels are unimportant, they only need to be round in all honesty.
If you cant afford any better, then this will defo get you into WFP work cheaply until you can upgrade.
The backpack I would bet is a Shureflow by another name made in the same factory.

Tom White

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 12:43:12 am »
Trust me, get a fishing trolley, not a sack truck; it makes a big difference.   ;D

BORBRYCE

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 12:47:40 am »
Tosh.....you are turning into a wfp nerd......you know that right. Next step will be arguing over what brush has the best bristles. Now give the guy some positives please. He needs some help so just help if you can.

Tom White

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 01:01:41 am »
Kit list

Backpack - Shurflo is best, but others will do.
Trolley = fishing trolley.
RO/DI to purify your water; a cheap one will do since you will probably only use about 100 litres per day.
Water butts x 2 (180 litre; cheap from places like Wilkinsons)
Pole; do a search on this site for Harris Pole (£15 from B&Q)
Brush head - lots of different places supply these.
25 litre barrels x 5 (about £5.00 each)
Pole hose
Connectors to join backpack hose to pole hose, and a "Y" connector to join pole hose to brush head.

I think that's about it?

neiljoust

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 08:52:06 am »
thanks guys one more lol you say will change every other day do you mean the resin think it takes 3 liters of resin

Tom White

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 08:57:50 am »
thanks guys one more lol you say will change every other day do you mean the resin think it takes 3 liters of resin

Yes.  You can purify water using a DI Bottle only (usually a big blue bottle), which is filled with resin.  However, if you live in a hardwater area (which you probably do), your resin won't last long and at £75+ a bag, it's expensive.

So, the best way is to buy an RO/DI system.  The RO (Reverse Osmosis) removes most of the impurities from the water prior to it going through the DI chamber, thereby extending the life of your resin.  It works out to be a cheaper way to make pure water.

neiljoust

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 09:46:23 am »
hi just spoke to ebay bloke he said he can get 15 x 25 liters out of 1 litre of resin does that sound about right theres no name on the backpack thank you

Tom White

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 01:28:04 pm »
hi just spoke to ebay bloke he said he can get 15 x 25 liters out of 1 litre of resin does that sound about right theres no name on the backpack thank you

That's still an expensive way to work when you consider you will use about 4 or 5 25 litre barrels of water a day.

However, I used to take a DI out with me so I could produce pure water from a customers outside tap.  But I produced the main water I use with a RO/DI

I don't know the brand of the backpack, but it's not shurflo.