This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

LWC

Re: new combo juddering at low revs
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 02:59:50 pm »
I found that on a corsa c forum so it should do, try it

dave0123

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 03:03:07 pm »
Well i have vectra personal car and it doesn't work on that,  i was told its only certain engines but no harm trying
Dave.

LWC

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 03:50:22 pm »
What year is yours? Theres other ways of doing this i believe

Tom White

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 12:22:57 am »
I was talking to a neighbour today and she had a citroen car that 'juddered'.  After loads of fannying about with it, she was told that the 'judder' was a characteristic of the engine and that there was nowt wrong with it.

Spruce

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 07:28:11 am »
I was talking to a neighbour today and she had a citroen car that 'juddered'.  After loads of fannying about with it, she was told that the 'judder' was a characteristic of the engine and that there was nowt wrong with it.

Hi Tosh,

I was just going to say something similar.
We have a 110hp Citroen Xsara Desire as our family car and that judders at low speed. My son has the 110 LX as did my nephew and they all did the same thing. The 90hp engine was very smooth to drive though.

When I worked for Citroen years back, the 110hp engines were quick but the 90hp engines, albeit slower in acceleration, where nicer to drive.
Never did get an explanation as to why the difference was. The 110 was an intercooled engine (the 90 wasn't), but that in itself doesn't give 20hp. It is probably more to do with the ecu engine management electronic programming, turbo boost and/or slightly higher gear ratios.

We have a rule when driving this car, 20mph = 2nd, 30 mph = 3rd, 40mph = 4th and above 50mph = 5th.

My 90hp Citroen Relay Hdi van's engine is very smooth.

I also had experience with a 1.9 diesel Vectra and my feelings were that the gear ratios where all wrong for the engine's power curve (although I am sure Vauxhall know more about this than I do), so this could be a similar thing. I would try to use a lower gear than the one you use now at the speed when you experience the judder.

When I drive the Xsara I'm also inclined to kick the car into neutral and coast, usually when come to a set of traffic lights.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

bobby p

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 07:34:32 am »
uncle of mine took to coasting in neutral AND switching the engine off as a fuel saver idea ,but when he switched it back on the fuel had pumped into his exhaust and BANG ,clean blew his exhaust pipe off  ::)

Spruce

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 07:41:35 am »
im using an old Partner at the mo, its slow ,heavy steering too //  but was thinking the Combo 1.3 would be better on fuel  and nippier . this is for trad .  but i dont like hearing tales of faults that sour the experience

If you are buying second hand, always insist on a long test drive, get the engine warm and drive it in stop start traffic. If you have really settled in on a van then dropping by a garage and putting a couple of quid of fuel in the tank yourself is a consideration, especially if the excuse is that we can't go too far as there isn't much fuel in the tank. (You can negotiate a price later that will pay for that fuel) The salesman will have an easy route to take you on that's quick, convenient (for him) and traffic free - great test drive to wet your desire but with little long term benefit.

If you have an old Partner that doesn't have power steering, (optional extra with the very early models) then put a little more air pressure in the front tyres. (Not the ideal solution - but does help)

Spruce

Spruce

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 07:46:28 am »
uncle of mine took to coasting in neutral AND switching the engine off as a fuel saver idea ,but when he switched it back on the fuel had pumped into his exhaust and BANG ,clean blew his exhaust pipe off  ::)

I never switch off the engine, the main reason being is you loose brake boost very quickly and there is the chance that the steering lock could activate.

bobby p

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 08:29:08 am »

If you have an old Partner that doesn't have power steering, (optional extra with the very early models) then put a little more air pressure in the front tyres. (Not the ideal solution - but does help)

Spruce
[/quote] i will give that a go Spru .   i was a mechanic for 21 yrs myself but suprising what you forget once the spanners have been put away

Johnny B

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 05:16:18 pm »
I had this problem with my Fiesta (1753cc Diesel). It was like riding a demented kangaroo.

A full service including changing the air, and fuel filters cured it.

John.
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

weetot

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 07:18:09 pm »
I had a combo for a couple of years, then had to replace the gear linkage, as apparently its a common fault on them!
Sorry Ritchie, that hasnt helped your problem at all.
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!